Splurging

For several months, i was itching to buy a Subaru WRX STi; awesome performance car, but pretty pricey. I think what finally got me off of that was the conflict with my ER mindset. If I bought one, every single day i got into it, I would be reminded that i'm really "just talk", not a true, savy FIRE individual. A car, as much as just about anything, I think inevitably reflects on your values, whether you like it or not. People look at what you drive, and form impressions; be they right or wrong.

Push comes to shove, i'd ultimately rather people thing of me as the frugal and wise with my money, not "wasteful".

Yes, i drive a sports car now (240sx), but fortunately since its 10.5 years old, I think i qualify for being thrifty anyway since in continue to drive it indefinitely and its paid for. I also only carry liability on it.

Call me crazy, but one of the attractions of FIRE for me is that I no longer have to give a rat's ass about what anyone (other than my spouse and kids) thinks of me.

Call me crazy, but one of the attractions of FIRE for me is that I no longer have to give a rat's ass about what anyone (other than my spouse and kids) thinks of me.

Do you give a rat's ass what you think of yourself?   Buy a brand new STi, and when you get in it everyday, i assure you, you wont be thinking how smart of an FIRE person you are, unless you're into serious denial.

That was the crux of my point.

Oh boy, I guess I'm simple...beef tenderloin a couple of times a week makes me happy. :p That and buying a property every couple of years.

azanon said:
 People look at what you drive, and form impressions; be they right or wrong.   

Push comes to shove, i'd ultimately rather people thing of me as the frugal and wise with my money, not "wasteful". 

az, the above statements were what I was commenting on. I'm sure it is fun to drive a spiffy new sports car, but your post seemed more concerned with what the car said about you to others rather than the intrinsic enjoyment you might get out of driving the car.

BWDIK...

I thought the emphasis was the other way around since i mentioned that first. *shrug* Regardless, I dont think developing complete apathy towards others perceptions of you is entirely healthy. But, as you just clarified, you don't care what i think (of you) so what does it matter anyway right? ;)

?

I'm not interested in another pissing match, so let's just drop it, eh?

BWDIK = But What Do I Know

OK play nice boys. I get enough of that stuff at work ::)

An Autotrader search turned up 79 911Turbo's for 2001-2002 model years under $80k. Mostly 2001's. You simply have to buy the 6 speed over the tripronic. I saw a 2001 red one with 7k miles for $75k. If you buy one please post a picture so that we may live vicariously through your exploits

Just think, they were $120k + guzzler tax new. So figure about $55k for the 7k miles or just under $8/mile for the privelage of having a new one

Targa,
I see the same prices on ebay. Now that is depreciation amplified especially if you look how little mileage is on these cars. I find it odd that the new Carrera S is just a fast as the 01-04 Twin Turbos and they both cost the same now.
Anyway it is a few years off. However, if you see a pic on this website you'll know that I crack $1M net worth :D

Arif said:
Anyway it is a few years off. However, if you see a pic on this website you'll know that I crack $1M net worth  :D

If you've got to splurge, that is the way to do it -- when it's a low percentage of your net worth, and you can quickly repair the damage through the magic of compounding.

Arif said:
OK now I don't feel too bad. As most car nuts have posted there are other choices than a Porsche that are just as fast or close to it. The model I would choose is the 2002 911 TWIN TURBO with 4xx hp. Yeah I know what are you gonna do with all that power...yada yada yada. I think I'll go test drive one soon.

One of my kids owns one of these, in a beautiful blue color. If he hits it in 2nd or 3rd, the Gs just rip the glasses off my face. I have learned to take them off before getting in the car. Nothing like big low end torque to make you happy.

Porsche is flyng him down to Birmingham next week to drive one of their new Carreras on the big track down there.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom