Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Somewhere in your 40s previous injuries start saying: "Remember me?".
I don't remember there being so many...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #22

If they were laid end to end...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been fairly active in my life (running, biking, rafting, weightlifting, desert backpacking (humping own water), and mountain trekking.

But the absolute WORST and most tenacious "injury" I have suffered is the damage done to neck, back, shoulder, hip, backside, arm, and hand(s) from sitting in front of my computer all day long.

My physical therapist says he can help make it less worse, but if I want it to go away I have to quit my job.

Told him I was trying just as hard as I could to make that happen.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Somewhere in your 40s previous injuries start saying: "Remember me?".
ya, got it. just the sardonic wit i apply in self-preservation towards aging, having already witnessed its ravages.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

For those who answered, "yes" to sports-related injuries, would you go back and do anything differently knowing what you know now?

In sports, I've dislocated both shoulders (football, volleyball, basketball, martial arts), torn my ACL (basketball), had pain from a ganglion in my wrist (shot putting), Osgood-Schlatters (that still hurts, probably exacerbated by basketball ages 12-15), broken literally half my toes (martial arts), sprained ankles (basketball, tennis), dislocated rib (martial arts), back muscular issues (martial arts), hip issues (martial arts), and bumps, bruises, scrapes and abrasions too numerous to remember.

Something always hurts, and I'm 34. Looking back on it, I don't see any way that I would have chosen to do anything differently. I enjoy physical sports, and I don't see that I could have done anything with less intensity. The alternative to this, is a less active me -- I tried that and ended up 65 pounds heavier.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sawdust! You must have attended one of those rich city schools. We had nothing but gravel...
And you walked uphill BOTH ways to school, with NO shoes, in 5 feet of snow, right?

Our high jump "pit" wasn't that great. But it WAS better than sawdust, or a bunch of old bed mattresses strewn about..........

One year three of our top long jumpers got hurt. Noone could figure out why until they started digging in the pit, and found a 94 POUND rock strategically buried at 20 feet or so. I guess it wasn't a concern because up until that time noone jumped over 20 feet........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only sport I used to play a lot was tennis, and I don't have any injuries from it. But I stopped playing a lot when I was in my mid 20s. I rarely play now, and I never go "all out" to get to a ball like I used to.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
For those who answered, "yes" to sports-related injuries, would you go back and do anything differently knowing what you know now?
I think the state of training is much more advanced these days. Most of the coaches at my school were of the "drill instructor/no pain-no gain" mindset.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Injuries...yeah...horseback riding related. Was it worth it, yes.

However moving and lifting furniture and boxes so many times in my life has taken its toll. That was no fun.