Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #21

Well, I stopped by this afternoon, on my way to Kohls. The parking lot was packed and the place was full of people. I found a few things I was going to buy at Kohls, waited in line for 20 minutes, only to find out at the register that the things I had picked were no discount or only 10% off. Turns out the "30% off" signs everywhere, including the rack where I picked up my items, only apply to a few "select" things - probably stuff no one wants. Behind the cashier was a large table overflowing with clothes people had handed back after learning the same. Even in bankruptcy, Sports Authority is a lousy place to shop.

I went to Kohls, found similar stuff, paid less than I would have at SA, and went home.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, I stopped by this afternoon, on my way to Kohls. The parking lot was packed and the place was full of people. I found a few things I was going to buy at Kohls, waited in line for 20 minutes, only to find out at the register that the things I had picked were no discount or only 10% off. Turns out the "30% off" signs everywhere, including the rack where I picked up my items, only apply to a few "select" things - probably stuff no one wants. Behind the cashier was a large table overflowing with clothes people had handed back after learning the same. Even in bankruptcy, Sports Authority is a lousy place to shop.

I went to Kohls, found similar stuff, paid less than I would have at SA, and went home.
I also drove by my local store, doing other errands. It was mid-morning and I too was surprised by how crowded it was. I'm in the hunt for a new pair of running shorts so took a look. Yes, prices were nothing special - 10% off MSRP - and one or two brands were excluded from even that pittance of a discount. I left quickly. BTW, there was a bit if a line at the cash register, so I guess there are enough people excited by 10% off, not realizing that routine sales discount more than that.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yea, that is another problem with any going out of business sale.... the signs all over the place stating a great bargain.... except for all the things you want...

I remember going to one that had 70% off signs everywhere... I found something I wanted and it was only 25% off... so I asked, what is 70% off Well, the shelves!!! SAY WHAT.....
Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

My wife went yesterday and found the same thing. Either 0 or 10% off their regular (high) retail prices AND she couldn't use the ten bucks in rewards bucks we have earned through paying their high prices in the past. Oh well....