Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been a sports nut since the age of 11. My parents were from Ireland and really had no interest in any American sports even though my dad would watch some bear games when he retired (even though he never understood all the rules).

Remember clearly coming home from grammar school and catching the Cubs on tv.

Now I can't stand watching baseball but love watching the bear games (even though they s^uck), Notre Dame football, Chicago Blackhawks and Bulls.

Really like watching college football and basketball and will take a peek at other NFL games.

Love watching the major tournaments in golf.

I have issues watching sports on tv (and my wife agrees)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I watch quite a bit of hockey and football. Record most of the games so I don't have to watch commercials and time out delays. (saves a ton of time... I can watch a football or hockey game in about an hour).

IMO pro athletes are entertainers... no different than movie stars. There job is to entertain me with their freakish skills.

I have favorite teams... but I would rather see an exciting/close game than have my team win in a blow out.

Sports are true reality TV. Not the garbage "reality TV programming" that is mostly scripted and staged.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:08 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think there must be a genetic component. All of my brothers are fanatic multi-sports fans, as is my son. But I don't follow any and am not interested in watching except for a close 4th quarter in football or World Cup games. A couple of my nephews are the same but 90% are sports fanatics. Most of the fans were also good athletes in their youth. I was a lousy athlete, although I played plenty of baseball and football. But unlike many of my athletic, sports fan relatives I have actively pursued a number of sports into late adulthood - scuba and snorkeling, skiing (water and snow), snowboarding, windsurfing, roller hockey. I returned to cycling in ER. In the last few years most of them have fallen to a trickle except for cycling which is a daily activity in good weather.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been a sports nut since elementary school and played basketball through high school and soccer for 2 years in college (division 3) before an injury put an end to it but now I only play doubles tennis twice a week. I was a big Celtics fan through the 70's, 80's and early 90's and still watch them occasionally. I'm a big Patriots fan and attend few games in person (when its not too cold and snowy) and watch all others on TV and most Bruins hockey games. I also watch European soccer matches occasionally.

Also a friend and I attend a few local college basketball games. My interest in sports remains quite high.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #25

I've been a season ticket holder for the NY Giants for many years, and religiously watch their away games. I still whoop and holler when they do well, and swear and scream epithets when they (seemingly every week lately) screw up.
When the Nets played in New Jersey, I also had mini season-ticket package.

I view this as just another form of entertainment. I am also physically active, attend plays, lectures, movies etc etc. Enjoying sports as a spectator is not exclusive to enjoying other pursuits. I think I have a good balance. Now, if only the Giants could win out so I could attend at least one playoff game........
Old 12-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #26

I was thinking recently about this whole issue of watching sports on TV. My college football team this year did quite poorly (far worse than preseason expectations), so this led me to start wondering if I was essentially wasting my time by watching their games every Saturday, hoping for the wins but almost always suffering through the losses.

It dawned on me that there seems to be a noticeable difference in the degree to which a loss affects your mood more than a win. This is especially true if your team was expected to win, but even if that's not the case, a loss seems to darken the entire day. With a win, it's like a momentary spike of happiness and satisfaction, but then you kind of forget about it and move on with the rest of your day. The loss, though, seems to hang around in the back of your mind and you keep thinking about "what could have been" or "what should have been".

So with that in mind, yeah I have been questioning my continued devotion to watching things like college and pro football, and pretty much any other sport where I have an emotional stake in the outcome. What is it really doing for my life? Is it overall a net positive or negative? I'll probably keep watching since it's become such a habit over the years, but I can easily see myself spending less and less time tuning in on a regular basis.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #27

I typically just watch "my" teams: Univ of Houston (Peach bowl baby!), Texans, Astros and my adopted team Boise State.

I have season football tickets.

I also watch a crap ton of golf.

I dont' gamble.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #28

Love watching sports on TV and live. Baseball I use as background while I am surfing. Football I will watch. Basketball/hockey I will have on if nothing else going on.

Certainly does not interfere with getting out and doing things. For the Bears (most seasons) if we have something to do I will DVR it watch it later.

Could never cut cable/DTV because of sports.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #29

Everyone has something that they enjoy and that entertains them. I love watching football and cant for the life of me figure out why people enjoy reading fictional books. Reading something about history or a biography about someone who interests you I get, but why read a fictional book when I can watch the movie? The book wastes way too much of my time just like some people think watching sports wastes their time. To each his own.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Everyone has something that they enjoy and that entertains them. I love watching football and cant for the life of me figure out why people enjoy reading fictional books. Reading something about history or a biography about someone who interests you I get, but why read a fictional book when I can watch the movie? The book wastes way too much of my time just like some people think watching sports wastes their time. To each his own.
Works of fiction are art. The use of words, imagery, setting up the plot, suspense, depth of character development, etc. I suppose you could describe football, the players, and the teams in much the same way depending on your sense of aesthetics. I certainly enjoy reading a good work of fiction for a couple hours more than watching a football game!
Old 12-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I've been a season ticket holder for the NY Giants for many years, and religiously watch their away games. I still whoop and holler when they do well, and swear and scream epithets when they (seemingly every week lately) screw up.
When the Nets played in New Jersey, I also had mini season-ticket package.

I view this as just another form of entertainment. I am also physically active, attend plays, lectures, movies etc etc. Enjoying sports as a spectator is not exclusive to enjoying other pursuits. I think I have a good balance. Now, if only the Giants could win out so I could attend at least one playoff game........

This would be an incredibly exciting, frustrating, and yet hopeful year to be a real Giants fan. If football was what a 55 minute game, the G-Men would have already punched their playoff ticket!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Works of fiction are art. The use of words, imagery, setting up the plot, suspense, depth of character development, etc. I suppose you could describe football, the players, and the teams in much the same way depending on your sense of aesthetics. I certainly enjoy reading a good work of fiction for a couple hours more than watching a football game!
My wife loves reading also. Everyone enjoys spending their time different ways. What one person likes to do with their time, another person thinks is a waste of life. I enjoy the plot, suspense and imagery (visual imagery) of movies and TV. To me reading a book takes way too long. If we were all the same life would be very boring.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
My wife loves reading also. Everyone enjoys spending their time different ways. What one person likes to do with their time, another person thinks is a waste of life. I enjoy the plot, suspense and imagery (visual imagery) of movies and TV. To me reading a book takes way too long. If we were all the same life would be very boring.
Agreed! I like movies too. I couldn't make it through the Hunger Games books (for example) because the writing just wasn't that compelling. The movies were much easier to (mostly) watch.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

It's easy to NOT WATCH sports any longer when your college team loses to South Dakota on Saturday and then to South Dakota State on Tuesday night. Way to go Gophers!

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
In short, why are some people avid sports fans, others sports bettors, while others lost interest somewhere along the way.

How often and why do you watch sports? Are you one of those people screaming for your team while I calmly turn to my wife and say, "Did you see how the umpires rotated to cover the play in the outfield while still making sure that any potential play at 3rd base would still be covered?" Or, as Mulligan suggested elsewhere, do you have a big chunk of change riding on the game and that's what gets your juices flowing?
I had sports in my blood. My grandpa was a minor leaguer for the Chicago White Sox. He taught me early on. I played some basketball and football, and I was huge into bowling. I was extremely competitive, and had to learn to control that some. After several injuries, I just golf now.

Spectator sports were always a complimentary hobby. After playing all day, I would often listen to games on my big-dial radio, pickup up Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chi. Cubs, Chi. White Sox, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis. I hawked autographs when I could.

And I have never lost the thrill of spectator sports. I have been to Final Fours, MLB playoffs, PGA tournaments, NBA playoffs, and NFL games. I watch a lot on TV, but would probably watch more if my wife would tolerate it more. She's good about it, just not over-the-top fan.

I scream for my team AND I watch the umpires. It's all interesting to me.

Most of my gambling was in Middle School! I don't gamble on sports now.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I had sports in my blood. My grandpa was a minor leaguer for the Chicago White Sox. He taught me early on. I played some basketball and football, and I was huge into bowling. I was extremely competitive, and had to learn to control that some. After several injuries, I just golf now.

Spectator sports were always a complimentary hobby. After playing all day, I would often listen to games on my big-dial radio, pickup up Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chi. Cubs, Chi. White Sox, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis. I hawked autographs when I could.

And I have never lost the thrill of spectator sports. I have been to Final Fours, MLB playoffs, PGA tournaments, NBA playoffs, and NFL games. I watch a lot on TV, but would probably watch more if my wife would tolerate it more. She's good about it, just not over-the-top fan.

I scream for my team AND I watch the umpires. It's all interesting to me.

Most of my gambling was in Middle School! I don't gamble on sports now.

I almost got spanked by middle school principal back in the day when a teacher busted my gambling ring by noticing the paying line in front of my desk before school started. I talked my way out of it by showing him the newspaper lines I used and said I didn't know it was wrong because it was in the newspaper. He left the paddle on the desk and told me not to do it anymore. Being one who didn't care for pain much, I followed the directive.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #37

As I kid I played a few sports and watched a little sports. Stuff you are expected to do and I enjoyed it OK.

Never really got into watching sports. Just seemed boring.

Was recently talking to my brother who is very big on sports and goes to lots of professional games - though mostly for work - and I realized how much money I have saved over the years ignoring sports!
Old 12-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I almost got spanked by middle school principal back in the day when a teacher busted my gambling ring by noticing the paying line in front of my desk before school started. I talked my way out of it by showing him the newspaper lines I used and said I didn't know it was wrong because it was in the newspaper. He left the paddle on the desk and told me not to do it anymore. Being one who didn't care for pain much, I followed the directive.

Haha, I used to bet on both teams, and get spreads that would assure that I would never lose, and possibly win both bets if I hit in the middle. I think I was the inventor of the over/under bet After that, I set my sights on inventing the internet
Old 12-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Was recently talking to my brother who is very big on sports and goes to lots of professional games - though mostly for work - and I realized how much money I have saved over the years ignoring sports!
Bleacher seats were 50 cents when I was a kid. The last game we went to, they were $38. My wife declared that was her last game. She said she can do a lot of shopping for $38.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
There are cheaper alternative for sports fans to watch without breaking the bank. I periodically go see the minor league teams of Bruins and Red Sox at a fraction of the cost of the pro teams. I'm just fortunate to live within a 30 minutes commute to the pro and minor league venues.

But if you're not a sports fan you wouldn't enjoy the games regardless of cost.