Join Early Retirement Today

Spring Training 2011
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spring Training 2011

We are going to Ft. Meyers, Florida for vacation in mid-March. One of the events we will be doing is a spring training game. We are seeing the Yankees play the Red Sox at the Red Sox's spring training park. This is mostly for my wife as she is the one who likes baseball. I don't like or know anything about sports except for some baseball that I have picked up in the last 35 years through exposure. The game won't be completely wasted on me as I can appreciate the sport.

Does anyone know how long ahead of time we should get to the game in order to be able to park at the stadium handicapper parking? I have been wearing an Aircast walking brace for the last 19.5 years and can't walk miles from some gouger's twenty dollar parking scam to the stadium again, like last year. Remember, this is the most popular game of the whole spring training season. My wife called the stadium to ask how long ahead to get there and they laughed and would only tell her when the lot's gates opened.

We are also going to a couple of wildlife parks. This is for both of us as we like animals. We are going to the Ding Darling wildlife sanctuary and Corkscrew wildlife preserve.

We visited the Edison plantation laboratory last year. This year we are going to tour the houses.

Also, a drive around Sanibel Island is in the plans.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hope you enjoy your vacation in Ft. Myers and the game at the Sox stadium. I used to live in Ft. Myers but moved about the time the Sox were getting into town. I used to go to the Lee County Sports Complex and watch the Twins spring training games. The Sox stadium is downtown but still an hour ahead of time should be enough. After all, it's Ft. Myers, not Boston. I still miss Ft. Myers. Allow enough time for Sanibel and don't forget Captiva. Great shopping and restaurants.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

The gates open 2 1/2 hours before the game and if you really want the handicap section I would say be there at two hours .We went to a Spring Training game last year ( Not in Fort Meyers )and it was jammed at one hour before and this was not a prime game . We were able to get in a nearby lot for $8 . You can goggle the stadium . It looks like there are nearby reasonable lots .Also if your wife is in to shopping the outlets outside Fort Meyers are great . Enjoy your trip . March is a great time in Florida .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi. Never having been to spring training, i have no advice, but i sure hope you report back!

DH and i are going to some spring training games in Fort Myers and Sarasota as part of Road Scholars. DH is a major Red Sox fan. (It's serious). I think you may be going the week before us. I remember seeing a Red Sox vs. Yankees game on the schedule right before we arrive. DH would have loved to see one of those games.

Here's to lots of fun for all of us!
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote