Join Early Retirement Today

Square footage in home listings
Old 11-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Square footage in home listings

Can someone tell me, is there a standard for listing square footage for a home when buying or selling?

For example, is it finished square feet, total square feet, feet above ground? Does the listing method vary by locale?

Thanks!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It varies by locale. In some regions where I have lived, it can only include the part of the house with heating and/or air conditioning. In other regions, the unfinished, unheated attached garage can be included. Your realtor will know how it is done in your area.

Sometimes sellers include a disclaimer in their ads, saying that the buyer should verify square footages. There are two doors on the outside of my house that lead to small toolshed closets that do not connect actually with the interior. Although it was advertised as 1598 square feet when I bought it, the appraisor for the mortgage company subtracted out the toolshed closets so officially it is 1558 square feet.

The square footage computations are one reason why so many people convert attached garages to rec rooms (in my area, where they aren't included unless they are heated and cooled). I don't know about basements, but have noticed square footages computed both ways in houses with basements in Missouri that I have been looking at.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Up here in the north (Sk, Canada), square footage doesn't count the basement or any attached garages. In the case of a four-level split, the top 3 levels are counted but the bottom-most (basement) isn't.

In general it would include all other heated/air conditioned areas of the house.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As far as the Appraisal Institute and guides for most appraisers the Sq. Ft. of a house is that area that is living area under 'heat or air'. Garage's don't count in the sq. footage unless they have been enclosed and have heat and air. That is not to say that decks and garages and such do not add to the value of a property, but for sq. footage it is the 'climate controlled area' that counts. That means that if you have a swimming pool in the interior of a home, and it is exposed to the elements it does not count as part of the square footage. I never appraised a property with an enclosed air conditioned pool so I am not real sure how that would be handled. My guess is it would not be considered 'living space' and would not be counted. Second guess is, the house is most likely so big it does not make much difference.

Take a look here: http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/publica...tins/sqft.html
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my area the local county assessor's office -- the folks that figure out what I owe them in property taxes -- have their own calculation of sqft. When I bought my house the assessor's sqft was lower than the sellers' sqft, so when I offered I based my offer on the assessor's sqft measurement.

Point being that perhaps you have a similar govt agency that calculates sqft for you and they would at least probably be impartial and consistent in measuring.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks all! Who would have thought it varies by area! Seems this should be something that is standardized, but I did get what I needed!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From an appraisers stand point it is pretty much standardized. However, when you begin to work with appraisal districts i.e. property taxes, then all bets are off. Many times the rules are set by the state governments. I think Texas just passed a law to attempt to standardise appraisal districts practices for all counties.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote