Join Early Retirement Today

Squirrelly Cursor
Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Squirrelly Cursor

On DW's Dell laptop with Vista, the cursor is squirrelly. That is, it's frustratingly difficult to get it go exactly where you want it. It drives me crazy, and I can't tolerate for more than a few minutes, but she lives with it.

Believe me, I've tried all combinations of cursor, speeds, pointer precision enhancements, mouse and touchpad settings and pressure sensitivity. I've googled the subject as well.

Anyone know of this problem and know of any solution?

Thanks,
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

dirty or bad mouse? every so often I have to take the ball out and clean the lint off the
rollers.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I have the same problem on my Dell . It stops if I hit enter several times not sure why it just does.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar problem on my wife's Dell laptop. We replaced the mouse (both were optical -- no ball) and the problem is gone.
headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Anyone know of this problem and know of any solution?
The only time I've had the problem has been wet/sweaty touchpads. On the laptop and on my fingers.

Does it happen a certain amount of time after the computer is booted up, or after a certain program/utility is used, or with a particular mouse?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I hate touchpads!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm confused. You mentioned mouse and touchpad settings, but does that mean it acts this way both with a mouse and with a touchpad?

Have you tried an external mouse, and have you turned OFF the touchpad (if Vista allows you to do this)? I'm trying to understand if this is strictly a touchpad HW issue, or something else. What are the CPU usage readings looking like? If something is sucking up CPU cycles that can cause other stuff to respond intermittently.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

If its a ball type it definitely sounds like a cleaning of the ball would help,the optical ones just get replaced.. there is a section in the control panel that lets you adjust the sensitivity of the mouse, go to "personalize appearance"
Then "mouse Properties then "Pointer options"..
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have a rocket stick wireless modem and when it is on, my wireless mouse cursor goes squirrelly because the vibes interfere with each other. Does DW's laptop have an integrated wireless network modem? If so, try turning it off.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sorry for the confusion. There is only a touchpad. It's been so long since I've had a non-laptop...

I mentioned mouse settings because when you go to the control panel, and choose "Mouse" you can make changes to the speed of the cursor both on tabs for the "Pointer Options" and via the "Dell Touchpad" tab. Both of those settings influence the movement -- perhaps they are controlling the same thing, or they are interacting in a detrimental way.

It happens all the time. I see no way to shut down the mouse. I haven't tried it with an external mouse.

It's possible that this is related to the physical properties of the surface of the pad. That is, her pad tends to hold and release my finger as I move it (i.e. big difference between static and kinetic friction) much more than mine does. Perhaps I notice it more than she does, due to the contrast in going from one machine to the other.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some one gave me a mouse pad once and it was almost impossible to put the cursor where you wanted it,seems the pad was too reflective and the optical sensor was getting confused,back to the old pad solved the problem.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My previous lappy had a twitchy touch pad. It was replaced and the curser was fine after that.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It was replaced and the curser was fine after that.
I just knew you were going to say "...and the curser reverted to being a cursor after that." Or was it the cursee...
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I just knew you were going to say "...and the curser reverted to being a cursor after that." Or was it the cursee...
Martha wasn't twitchy, she was the curser. After the cursor was repaired she no longer felt the need to be the curser.

Sorry, I've been reading Strunk & White. I've also realized that Dave Barry has been paid for an entire career by just opening up his college copy of S&W and deciding which rule(s) to violate in that day's column...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote