Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Google Voice solves the international problem too. If you have a U.S. Google Voice number, you can send and receive text messages from anywhere in the world (laptop or cell phone), using your data.

I have a U.S GV number and send/receive my text messages anywhere I am in the world provided I have data access (e.g. local sim).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use two factor authentication whenever possible. After a relative had his google mail taken over and the password changed, that could not have happened with two factor authentication. It's a pain, but there are a lot of hackers out there.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #23

I'll use my GV number. It should work fine. I'm going to sit on this for a while. Not that they might change their mind or anything...
Old 07-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #24

I signed up with my Google voice number maybe a year ago. Worked than still works, I can't get Wells Fargo to accept Google voice.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

+1. Google Voice has saved me many $$. Ported my home number to it years ago...

Sent from my VS986 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
— Louis Armstrong
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
SS Multifactor Authentication without Cell Service
Old 07-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Darn gummint intruding on my privacy, I'm not even going to give SS my mailing address.

I have an old coworker buddy who helps the homeless. He spent 4 months getting a woman her back owed SS. Her paranoia had made it so that she would not tell SS where she lived and she destroyed her Government issued IDs (Drivers license, SS card, etc.) She lost her apartment and had been living in a clump of bushes in the Texas weather for a couple of years as that paranoia also kept her out of shelters.
Story so far - She ended up getting over $50k in back payments, and he hooked her up with a small apartment and got her to take her meds. Hope it stays a happy ending. Schizophrenia is a b**ch.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Got the same email today. I'm for better security but this sucks. (Yes more security is usually inconvenient - check out the airports lately?)
Was this a non sequitur? What does what happens at the airports have to do with security? Other than security theater, I guess.

But other than that, you're right. I was in network security for a good portion of my career, and I used to say in my presentations that you can't use security and convenience in the same sentence. This SS change is a pain. If it improves security, that's ok. But I doubt it actually will.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #28

I hope nobody clicked on any link in an email, and instead used their bookmarked menu item to go to SS site.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:08 AM   #29

I'm another user of Google Voice. I use it with SS and it works fine.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:53 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I had already set up their two factor cell authentication. But I worried about those who didn't have cellphone. BTW any number could have been used and a voice option for a message, or email. I don't understand the cell with SMS constraint.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Interesting thread. I can understand NIST's concerns about SMS. But I haven't kept up with Google Authenticator. I used Google's initial version of two factor authentication but that involved keeping a paper list of passcodes with you and remembering to periodically add more - what a PITA. The Authenticator app sounds more like RSA secure key. Since I almost always have cell phone with me I think I will give it a try.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Government at its best!
I'm not sure what reasonable alternatives there might be, given the reality of limited resources and unlimited threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Guess SS and NIST don't get along very well
NIST couldn't care less about the cost of what they propose, or how readily accepted it would be by citizen-users. They weight absolutes - and objectively they are of course correct - but we don't live in an objective world where objective reality dictates the politics that fosters the resources available to run the country, nor the logistical realities either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
I know you can get text messages with a lot of phone services now but not sure how it would work.
My Xfinity home phone received TXTs but sometimes when I try to enter it as a mobile number to receive TXTs it is refused.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm not sure what reasonable alternatives there might be, given the reality of limited resources and unlimited threats.NIST couldn't care less about the cost of what they propose, or how readily accepted it would be by citizen-users. They weight absolutes - and objectively they are of course correct - but we don't live in an objective world where objective reality dictates the politics that fosters the resources available to run the country, nor the logistical realities either.
This makes me think I'll be sitting in a chair someday with multiple MFA devices in addition to a cellphone or two. Some institutions will continue with cell text MFA, while gov't will issue national chip and PIN cards that are readable by my new cornea.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #34

Having seen the inside of what went into tying together disparate systems in the interest of ACA applications, that seems likely. We like to think there are easy answers, but the reality is that that's only the case when one person tells everyone what to do. Barring that, in a consensus-driven environment where there are different perspectives that all have primacy within their own spheres, things are not so easy.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #35

Text was the easiest to implement before the mandated deadline. Look for other methods to become available later.

Quote:
Statement of Carolyn W. Colvin,
Acting Commissioner,
Social Security Administration
May 26, 2016

...we are changing our current multifactor authentication process for my Social Security from optional to mandatory for all users. Upon implementation this summer, all customers must enter a username, password, and a one-time passcode texted to a registered cell phone in order to access their my Social Security account. In the future, we expect to offer additional multi-factor options, pursuant to Federal guidelines.
Source: https://www.ssa.gov/legislation/testimony_052616.html
Old 07-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #36

I ran into a lot of talk about NIST depreciation of SMS for authentication. This is an explanation. The larger problem seems to be the Google solution and VOIP.

Questions…and buzz surrounding draft NIST Special Publication 800-63-3 | NSTIC NOTES

I admit ignorance here that I think my fellow early-retire engineers could clarify. What makes SMS a different venue. I guess I am asking how SMS is separate and distinct from using a non-WiFi connection on my phone browser? My knee-jerk reaction to not offering a email option was - well, I could be on my phone bank app or phone browser and receiving the SMS on that same phone so why not email delivered to the same computer as my browser session asking for the code. (Same logic with robo-call which is also not an option.)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #37

MMS can originate from, or be received by, non-phone. Therefore, no way to establish non-repudiation of identity on both ends.
SMS Text message is more secure because of how it travels end-to-end through carriers. That's my explanation. The mode of transmission and carry is different, but seems almost the same to end user.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:09 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I hope nobody clicked on any link in an email, and instead used their bookmarked menu item to go to SS site.
I worried about that too. How did I check it out? I came to this forum to see what you guys thought. That kind of email is great vehicle for scam.
I now have a smart phone but so far it is smarter then me.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
What are the chances that it will work with an international number? Lots of expats live overseas.
I was wondering about the same thing. Does anybody know?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

SSA accepts only a "10-digit number" here, so US only.