SS Wage Index 1951-2011

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
The chart below, represents a history of average wages that Social Security uses to develop pay out amounts. National Average Wage Index

It may be interesting to put into perspective your own salary progress (during the working years) relative to the national average. By coincidence, my first job was in the first year shown on the chart. Last year was 1989.

In looking for national statistics, almost all government charts and tables are either overly selective... quintiles, median, household, race, state, family, etc... and few give a good, longer term historical values. This is one of the few that gives a broad overview.

As they say, "your mileage many vary!"

Attachments

• Avg. Income.jpg
    Avg. Income.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 55
It's nice to know I've been making well over average index since college graduation.

I get in arguments with folks on a message board in San Diego, all the time. They try to say that household income of $150-200k is middle class. I keep providing stats that show median wages - even in high COL areas like San Diego are sooooo much lower than that.

This is just another data point I can use to explain that living in a mcMansion in a high cost of living area, and driving a BMW, does not make you middle class.

As someone who lives in a high COL area, that sounds like fighting words :>

It's nice to know I've been making well over average index since college graduation.

I get in arguments with folks on a message board in San Diego, all the time. They try to say that household income of $150-200k is middle class. I keep providing stats that show median wages - even in high COL areas like San Diego are sooooo much lower than that.

This is just another data point I can use to explain that living in a mcMansion in a high cost of living area, and driving a BMW, does not make you middle class.

Wow, those people are dolts. According to the census reports, you are in the top 5% if your household grosses $157k or more. Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those who are still feeling poor this site is an eye-opener. Even at $10k per year you're still in the top 13% globally.

Global Rich List

Back
Top Bottom