Staples: simple stuff i didn't know

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Quoth Wiki:
>>When stapling with a stapler the papers to be fastened are placed between the main body and the anvil. The papers are pinched between the body and the anvil, then a drive blade pushes on the crown of the staple on the end of the staple strip. The staple breaks from the end of the strip and the legs of the staple are forced through the paper. As the legs hit the grooves in the anvil they are bent to hold the pages together. Many staplers have an anvil in the form of a "pinning" or "stapling" switch. This allows a choice between bending in or out. The outward bent staples are easier to remove and are for temporary fastening or "pinning".<<

Actually looked at my desk stapler and find that there is a small spring loaded post that goes through the anvil - by compressing the spring the anvil can be turned so the points of the staple will point out rather than in, and yes, the staple is easier to remove and holds less well. Who knew! amused by little obvious things that hide in plain sight.

Ok, but did you know that? was i out sick the day they explained that in school?

I guess I was a little too subtle. I was referring to a marketing slogan by the office supply chain with the same name...

no, i missed it, but the gal recognized the advertising tag line...:)

if the first one don't get you the second one do..

Quoth Wiki:
>>When stapling with a stapler the papers to be fastened are placed between the main body and the anvil. The papers are pinched between the body and the anvil, then a drive blade pushes on the crown of the staple on the end of the staple strip. The staple breaks from the end of the strip and the legs of the staple are forced through the paper. As the legs hit the grooves in the anvil they are bent to hold the pages together. Many staplers have an anvil in the form of a "pinning" or "stapling" switch. This allows a choice between bending in or out. The outward bent staples are easier to remove and are for temporary fastening or "pinning".<<

Actually looked at my desk stapler and find that there is a small spring loaded post that goes through the anvil - by compressing the spring the anvil can be turned so the points of the staple will point out rather than in, and yes, the staple is easier to remove and holds less well. Who knew! amused by little obvious things that hide in plain sight.
I am mightily resisting the urge to go check my electric stapler to see if it can be converted to the outward staple method. MUST...NOT...GO...THERE...
:nonono:

Ever try to find some staples at Staples? Very difficult because everything says "Staples" on it.

I just HAD to go look...and OMG! even my cheap little stapler had the spring loaded post and swiveling "anvil". I can't believe I never knew about it!
(been retired 1.25 yrs, and yes, this is how I spend my day)

You mean you own your very own stapler ? I am impressed. Have to put that in next month's budget.....:>):cool:

If staples are difficult for you to remove wouldn't working out with weights serve you better?

Pfft. Have to build up to things you know - when i get staple removal down i may move on to bending steel rods - the ones in paper clips first perhaps...

Not to admit to being incredibly stupid sometimes, but be careful. If you switch the anvil to bend the staples outward and then staple the paper too close to the edge, the little leg can go right into your finger. Not too bad with the red Swingline, but try it with one of the industrial staplers and you might find yourself writing about it in a forum like this some day. :uglystupid:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom