Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we will go over the break with DS and his girlfriend. DS was shocked to find out she had never seen any of the Star Wars movies so he has been having her watch them.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Did anybody see the Big Bang Theory show

Had the movie as the main plot... kinda liked when Will Wheaton showed up in a Star Trek outfit
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Harrison Ford turned in wretched performances in two recent flicks (Ender's Game and I forget the other). I think this is beating a dead horse. I may watch it on cable when it comes around. Maybe not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-17-2015, 11:42 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Just got my reserved seats at the theater with super comfy recliner seats for a 3D showing on Monday Morning.
Have our tickets for Sunday night, love the leather, motorized recliners in the theaters. Lots of room and super comfy, if a movie is ever too boring, I can get a nap instead.

I haven't been impressed with 3D yet, so while I spend the extra $$ on the Laz-y-boy recliners, I haven't spent the extra on 3D showings
Old 12-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I will likely see it several times...it is getting rave reviews. And apparently even Harrison Ford seems rejuvenated.

I was 5 years old when to original came out in 1977. The franchaise holds some powerful nostalgic feelings for me.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:49 AM   #46

I enjoy the Star Wars series but will wait for DVD to watch on the big screen at home.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:53 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We go to one or two IMAX movies a year, but only IMAX and only if IMAX would make a big difference. We're going to see it on the 28th, 9:30 in the morning, the 3D IMAX version. Now the challenge is to remain unspoiled for ten days.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:24 AM   #48

I'm not sure if I even watched the first one all the way through, it was so long ago. It didn't really grab my attention, so I won't be going to see this one. Haven't seen any of the sequels/prequels or whatever they are.

Sometimes I wish I was more into popular culture, but I wouldn't know how to "get into it". I did like Dr Who when I was a kid in the late 60's and early 70's though. Every time a Dalek came on the screen, I went and hid behind the sofa

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

They had a story here on our local news station about a malfunction in the screening of the movie last night. And the movie never resumed, so they gave everyone free tickets for a future screening. I am reminded of when I first saw Star Wars as a 14-year-old back in 1977. In a packed theater (500 seats, when theaters actually seated that many people), the film broke partway through. There were all kinds of catcalls such as, "My grandmother can run it better than you!" The movie resumed after a few minutes with no further problems.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Star Wars - are you going to see it?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Star Wars - are you going to see it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
My work rented out an entire theater and is having trivia and costume contests. Yes, I'll be there tonight. In costume. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I do love sci-fi and it'll be a fun event. I'm also going to take my brother's family when I go home for Christmas, so I'll see it twice in theaters.

Verdict: very well done. Surprisingly funny at parts. The big spoiler is a doozy for many fans, so avoid hearing anything. Somebody I know guessed and it wouldn't have been a spoiler since it was a guess but then somebody who had seen an advance screening confirmed it. That was disappointing.

I will never understand why people think this series is life altering, but I'm okay paying to see it again.

ETA: many of my friends are huge Star Wars fans and their response was overwhelmingly "go see it in theaters" and "it lives up to the hype." Maybe don't see it in theaters if you aren't a fan, but it really was a great experience seeing everybody else's reactions and emotions.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #51

Already bought my tickets, we're going Sunday afternoon.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #52

Ill be seeing it when I can download it.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
I will never understand why people think this series is life altering...
FWIW: I suspect it is resonance with what has evolved into the principles by which the Jedi depicted in the series abide:
Quote:
JEDI BELIEVE:
  • In the Force, and in the inherent worth of all life within it.
  • In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment, including the death penalty.
  • In a society governed by laws grounded in reason and compassion, not in fear or prejudice.
  • In a society that does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or circumstances of birth such as gender, ethnicity and national origin.
  • In the ethic of reciprocity, and how moral concepts are not absolute but vary by culture, religion and over time.
  • In the positive influence of spiritual growth and awareness on society.
  • In the importance of freedom of conscience and self-determination within religious, political and other structures.
  • In the separation of religion and government and the freedoms of speech, association and expression.
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org...e-of-the-order
With those first four words removed, it's eerily parallel to the principles of my own religion - the highlighted phrases seem to have been lifted directly from those of the UUA. Such pop culture conceptions* of such a belief system serve to many folks walking into our churches for the first time as the door that opened their minds to some way to believe other than that of the religion of their birth. Lucas describes himself as "Buddhist Methodist," and so the parallel between the beliefs of the Jedi and our religion is not surprising, given that our principles reflect the integration of Eastern philosophies with Judeo-Christian philosophies.

_____
* The Jedi principles aren't the only one fictional set of principles that are so parallel to those of my own religion.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #54

Yes, I am going to see it in the theater after the holidays.

Anybody done this?

How to Make Your Own Lightsaber - Science Friday
Old 12-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
FWIW: I suspect it is resonance with what has evolved into the principles by which the Jedi depicted in the series abide

Hmmmm, interesting thought. You might be right. It would explain why my friends (most of whom are Catholic, Mormon, or Protestant) find it life altering but I do not. I wasn't raised in a religion and what you quoted is very close to what I believe, so it wouldn't be life altering to me. It would just be normal, and therefore unremarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
And apparently even Harrison Ford seems rejuvenated.
Really? Can he still make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs on his Rascal?
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #57

I will see it eventually. The movie companies demand a theater take the film for a minimum of 4 weeks to get it now. The theater in a town of 1500 people can't afford to do that so we will get to see it sometime in January.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Just got my reserved seats at the theater with super comfy recliner seats for a 3D showing on Monday Morning.
We have two theaters nearby with this type of seating. One serves food and drink, chairside. Both you can purchase alcoholic beverages for consumption during the film. Best part, though, is you don't have to go early to get a decent seat.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
7pm show tonight wife wife and one of our sons. ....
So, how was it?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #60

No interest in seeing it myself. May watch once it comes on HBO.

For the rest of the people, go see it and help Disney recoup the costs so the stock price goes up

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote