Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No interest in the Star Trek movies, but I liked the Star Trek TV series. And the movie Dune and Space Odyssey 2000.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 01:18 AM   #62

yes

Old 12-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw it with my wife and daughter. I'm a committed Star Wars fan, my wife puts up with me, and my daughter wanted to go mainly because it was so hyped and current.

Verdict: 3-for-3 loved the movie. Jabbering away on the way out about plot, where it goes from here, etc. Like the Star Trek reboot, they did a great job of honoring the originals while updating it and relaunching the franchise with new characters, etc. I was worried BB8 would be the jar jar binx of the droid world. Nope. Great character and addition to the Star Wars droid universe.

The prequels sucked rotten eggs. This is the movie fans have waited 30+ years for. The only thing that would have made this movie better is if jar jar binx was impaled on a lightsaber I'm immediately after the credits. No such luck, but happily jar jar and all the other crap prequel characters are nowhere to be seen.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
No interest in the Star Trek movies, but I liked the Star Trek TV series. And the movie Dune and Space Odyssey 2000.
Nice post but the topic is Star Wars, not Star Trek.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Harrison Ford turned in wretched performances in two recent flicks (Ender's Game and I forget the other). I think this is beating a dead horse. I may watch it on cable when it comes around. Maybe not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
The other was Cowboys and Aliens.

I can't tell how much is crappy script or crappy acting or crappy directing. Disappointing after his earlier work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #66

Nyet, no, nem, nein etc.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I will likely see it several times...it is getting rave reviews. And apparently even Harrison Ford seems rejuvenated.

I was 5 years old when to original came out in 1977. The franchaise holds some powerful nostalgic feelings for me.
I'm the same age. I'm seeing it tonight in the fancy theater with recliners and side tables for their pretty decent food.

The only drawback is that since its opening weekend, we had to get tickets to the 9:45 pm show, which will have me up past my bedtime.

That would have been a plus when I was five, but now I'm worried I'll be tired tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #68

Eventually. I might wait for it to come out on pay-per-view and watch it here at home. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but I remember seeing the original back in the 70's with my then boyfriend (later husband) and he loved it.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Nyet, no, nem, nein etc.
You're a lot more enthusiastic about seeing it than we are.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #70

Just got back from seeing it 3D IMAX. Happy we went. Happy we saw it where we did. The jokers at the theater didn't turn the lights off when the previews played. Somebody had to run to the lobby to tell them to turn the lights off when the movie started. Sheesh! Harrison Ford did a good job in this film.

The ending was very open ended with many possible future directions. Way more humor, with jokes playing off the original film. I really like the new characters. The genders have equalized in the intervening 38 years between the first movie and now.

I will say no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
I saw it with my wife and daughter. I'm a committed Star Wars fan, my wife puts up with me, and my daughter wanted to go mainly because it was so hyped and current.

Verdict: 3-for-3 loved the movie. Jabbering away on the way out about plot, where it goes from here, etc. Like the Star Trek reboot, they did a great job of honoring the originals while updating it and relaunching the franchise with new characters, etc. I was worried BB8 would be the jar jar binx of the droid world. Nope. Great character and addition to the Star Wars droid universe.

The prequels sucked rotten eggs. This is the movie fans have waited 30+ years for. The only thing that would have made this movie better is if jar jar binx was impaled on a lightsaber I'm immediately after the credits. No such luck, but happily jar jar and all the other crap prequel characters are nowhere to be seen.
OK, I'm going to see it.

When I saw episode 1, I was so peeved by Jar Jar that I swore off the other movies. You give me "A New Hope"
Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #72

Was deceived by reports that it was a good movie. Lots of nostalgia for fans of the previous films. Surprisingly funny in parts. Mostly seems intended to serve as a series reboot for future films to develop a new story line. Good special effects, but that's more or less expected by now. Nothing new or interesting in the plot. Should have waited to see it on video.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow

Saw it this morning with my daughter. Brilliantly made spectacle in the spirit of the original Episode IV but fully up to date. We are extremely hard markers for all things science fiction (extensive knowledge and appreciation of this specific and related genres). We gave it a figurative 95% rating.

No question in my mind that it will break all box office records and be the #1 movie of all time very shortly.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Going this morning with DW and both DSs
Old 12-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #75

I was going to wait a week or two but my Brother called me yesterday to ask if I wanted him to buy me a ticket for today since he was going to get one for himself anyway. So I had him buy me a ticket and I just got back from the showing. I was about to pay him for it when he said, "it's on me". I said, "ok". I don't turn down free stuff. The movie was better than expected. If you are a fan of the original 3 then you will very likely like this one. I wish I didn't have to wait 18+ months for the next one.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #76

DW got us tickets for Wednesday. We like Star Wars and Star Trek.
Quote:
Harrison Ford turned in wretched performances in two recent flicks (Ender's Game and I forget the other)
Regardless of what you think of Harrison Ford in it, Ender's Game is a very good story and movie. The film is very faithful to the book.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
FWIW: I suspect it is resonance with what has evolved into the principles by which the Jedi depicted in the series abide:
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org...e-of-the-order
With those first four words removed, it's eerily parallel to the principles of my own religion - the highlighted phrases seem to have been lifted directly from those of the UUA. Such pop culture conceptions* of such a belief system serve to many folks walking into our churches for the first time as the door that opened their minds to some way to believe other than that of the religion of their birth. Lucas describes himself as "Buddhist Methodist," and so the parallel between the beliefs of the Jedi and our religion is not surprising, given that our principles reflect the integration of Eastern philosophies with Judeo-Christian philosophies.

_____
* The Jedi principles aren't the only one fictional set of principles that are so parallel to those of my own religion.
Yeah we have a lot of those in UU - I call them dual addictions. We have a lot of fun in discussion groups. 'Jewish UU, Catholic UU, Buddhist UU, Methodist UU, etc.

As a recovering SciFi addict and 30 year worker bee in the Space Program I plan to give the film a few years to 'mellow'. But watch it I will - 'resistance is futile.'

heh heh heh - born again ER I can procrastinate as long as I wish.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #78

Meh, we'll see it once it's out on Redbox.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

we (DS, DD, DW and me) are going to watch Star Wars on Tuesday, December 22nd. DS(27) is paying since he got a raise last month and a nice Christmas Bonus.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado

I feel like I am one of the rare few who not only doesn't have much interest in seeing the new one, but I couldn't find a way to be interested in the originals. Don't judge me too much haha

We actually do not have a TV and we do not watch many things unless it is on Netflix or something similar. Since I have quit watching TV a few years ago I have found so much free time to dedicate to other things. (many not much more productive than watching tv haha)