Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Not likely to see it until it's on video. Too much hype turned me off. It will be in my to-watch queue along with various new movies.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
Not likely to see it until it's on video. Too much hype turned me off. It will be in my to-watch queue along with various new movies.

party pooper... me too. I'll likely borrow it from the library when it gets there.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I checked the local showings.

Over $19 for the IMAX 3D viewing.

I can wait and I don't care about 3D.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Appears that I am in the minority. I saw it last night and thought it was terrible - on par with the phantom menace.

I guess my expectations were improper. I didn't expect to see a remake of the 77 Star Wars. Also the bad guy was a bit of a wimp.

On the positive side my wife loved it.

Saw it a couple days ago because my wife really wanted to see it. Photoguy expresses our feelings exactly. I was personally bored, felt like I was seeing a remake. Oh, and 3D isn't worth watching....much prefer to see in 2D. Even my wife felt the 3D was not well done and just distracting.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw it earlier today. As a child of the late 70's/early 80's that felt very much like injecting some sort of nostalgic cocktail drug directly into my veins.

Will see it again...probably more than once.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #106
Administrator

We went to see it as a family yesterday. (4 adults) Reserved seats, 3D, excellent. But we are a family of geeky nerds
Old 12-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #107

Yesterday our sons came over for dinner. Our older son, 31, likes to collect old electronics and other junk from thrift stores. He has a couple of laser disc players. He brought over his best player (it automatically switches to the other side of the disc) and his collection of Star Wars laser discs. We watched the original (Episode IV - A New Hope) and then the next one (Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back). This was fun!

I had seen the original in the theater in 1977 and I know I saw the next one too, but it was a long time ago.

I fell asleep about halfway through The Empire Strikes Back, partially because I was in the Lazy Boy recliner and partially because the other son, 28, brought over a bottle of scotch.

Today we have tickets for the new Star Wars movie in 2D.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Over $19 for the IMAX 3D viewing.
I saw it on a weekday and in 2D for $5 (DW got $1 off for the old folks discount). Not the IMAX, but the theater did have the super comfy, giant leather recliners.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Cheapest around here is $12 and change.

There is one old theater which will sometimes get the big movies well after they have the big release and they have cheap matinees. But that's usually a couple of months after release.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #110
Dryer sheet wannabe

Saw it. Was ok - Only really saw one other.

I guess they had to do some killing off since the originals may not be around enough for another movie..
bradner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Walked out of the the first Star Wars after about 45 minutes, and haven't had any interest in any of the pre/sequels. So not going. But I realize many people are huge fans.

Not a Star Trek fan either.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

The last time we saw a Star Wars movie in the theater, we had to stick Gummy Bears in our ears. That's the last time we watched a movie in the theater. Just too damn loud.

Our home AV setup is really good now and we're happy watching stuff there. Plus I can watch in small pieces and rewind instead of the whole thing at once.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #113

Just got in from seeing it with the family. Ten tickets to IMAX 3D so not inexpensive to say the least. I thought that they did quite a good job with it. Certainly better than they did with episodes 1-3.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:11 AM   #114

When I saw the original; the wording panning through the cosmos, the star ship shooting it's lasers in such clear color lights, then the HUGE cruiser battle star ship chasing what I could appreciate to be the smaller first ship,,,, well,,, my mind was BLOWN!!

I could not believe the realism that was unfolding on the screen. I was 21 years old.

When I went to see this, how shall we call it, remake of the original, I felt pretty let down. The only lesson of the story was everything just repeats itself, so why bother? Seems that's what Luke himself thought of the movie. None of the technology was newer, better, more sophisticated. Just rehashed in bigger.

I fell asleep during parts of it, it was that predictable of what was coming if you at all paid attention in the original movie.

Oh, and Princess Leia did not age gracefully. The poor old dear. Han has got to be thinking to himself; what was I thinking??!!! Ha!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
[...]I don't like to go to movie theaters any more, because the volume is so painfully high. I could wear ear plugs, but I figure, why should I HAVE to wear them just to see a movie in a theater? [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The last time we saw a Star Wars movie in the theater, we had to stick Gummy Bears in our ears. That's the last time we watched a movie in the theater. Just too damn loud.
+1000000000

I wish I had thought of gummy bears!

To expand on my previous response, the last time we went to the threater we asked the theater to turn down the volume. They did, but only the tiniest amount and IIRC we eventually had to leave in the middle of the show and demand a refund. And, that wasn't the first time this happened; I can hardly remember going to a theater when the volume was less than painful (to the point of actual nausea from the pain). I'm DONE with theaters. Never again.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Oh, and Princess Leia did not age gracefully. The poor old dear. Han has got to be thinking to himself; what was I thinking??!!! Ha!
I disagree - I thought Carrie Fischer looked great for her age. She's not a 20-something anymore - nor is her character. Did you have the same reaction about Harrison Ford?
Old 12-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I disagree - I thought Carrie Fischer looked great for her age. She's not a 20-something anymore - nor is her character. Did you have the same reaction about Harrison Ford?
Well, her face barely moved when she talked. My reaction was she had too much "work done". I see this a lot with both male and female actors and politicians.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #118
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Of course not. Hollywood male actors are allowed to look their age. They still get decent roles. Only the other kind - the non-males- are required to always look like they're just barely adults.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #119

Harrison Ford is 73 years old. Carrie Fischer is 59 years old. I thinks she looked older than him in this movie.

Sorry if someone is offended by this, it's my opinion and I don't give it much thought towards political correctness.

Then;

Now;

Then;

Now;
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

The wookie hasn't aged a day!
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote