Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Harrison Ford is 73 years old. Carrie Fischer is 59 years old. I thinks she looked older than him in this movie.

Sorry if someone is offended by this, it's my opinion and I don't give it much thought towards political correctness.

Then;

Now;

Then;

Now;
So, to sum up:

1. They are both 39 years older now
2. They both have grey hair
3. They both have a bunch of wrinkles
4. They both look their current age(s)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #122
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
So, to sum up:

1. They are both 39 years older now
2. They both have grey hair
3. They both have a bunch of wrinkles
4. They both look their current age(s)
5. I (W2R) look older than either of them so I think they both look great.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Carrie has the same age as my wife. And my wife looks much younger. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Carrie has the same age as my wife. And my wife looks much younger. That's all I have to say about that.

Not to derail the thread, but she admits to not taking care of herself over the past 35 years. This may have to do withe fact that she hasn't acted much during that time. Harrison Ford has acted a fair amount, and even prior to this film was still considered a Hollywood A lister. Mark Hamill is in the same boat as Carrie Fisher and doesn't look his age either (the beard doesn't help).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...al-weight.html

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1000000000

I wish I had thought of gummy bears!

To expand on my previous response, the last time we went to the threater we asked the theater to turn down the volume. They did, but only the tiniest amount and IIRC we eventually had to leave in the middle of the show and demand a refund. And, that wasn't the first time this happened; I can hardly remember going to a theater when the volume was less than painful (to the point of actual nausea from the pain). I'm DONE with theaters. Never again.
We were so frustrated, because we had left our ear plugs in the car. The matinee theater was almost empty, but they hadn't adjusted the sound down to compensate. We seriously considered leaving. Then DH asked - "Hey, Audrey, do you still have those gummy bears?". They worked well enough to allow us to enjoy the rest of the movie. Just sticky ears afterwards.

This was Revenge of the Sith in 2005. So that is the last time in a movie theater for us. I liked the movie because we were interested in the Darth Vader story, we like Natalie Portman and enjoyed the actor playing the young Darth Vader.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #126

Went to see Star Wars yesterday. We enjoyed the film, old stars and new alike.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Twice

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to see it at a matinee since DW wasn't interested. Saw it in 3D since that showing fit my schedule. 3D was a waste of money for this one. You'd be more than fine with 2D.

The movie ? Maybe 7 out of 10. 7.5 ? It is very, very much a remake of the first one, both plot and character wise. Nobody can realistically claim it wasn't.
That said, it was entertaining, beautifully shot and with a good balance between practical and CGI effects so it wasn't glitzy/bland like the Lucas prequels.

I think JJ Abrams is more suited to Star Wars than Star Trek. He should stick to that and give Trek back to someone more in tune with that series. His Trek remakes have not been good (bar the casting/acting which has been pretty good)
Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw it twice, in 2D and 3. Loved it in 3D, definitely worth the extra $2 or whatever. I haven't seen the first execrable episodes since they came out in theaters 15-8 years ago, And I'm still trying to forget them. I'm glad Disney didn't include Lucas in this recent movie; I think his genius started to fade quickly in the 80's.

I think The Force Awakens was a great reboot. I'm not sure why some folks get huffy that it was so similar to episode 4. How many remakes of Batman are there, and some of those reboot in just a decade. It's been nearly forty years since A New Hope. And as one of my favorite authors likes to say, "History may not repeat itself, but it certainly rhymes." Each generation makes some of the same mistakes as that of their fathers.

My impression was that they filmed as many homage scenes and lines as they could think of and then edited a bunch out to keep the pace of the movie from getting clumsy. I felt they did a good job. I'd give it at least 4/5 stars and would say this movie is as good as A New Hope and better than Return of the Jedi. Empire is still my favorite; that likely won't change.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #130

I'll wait for pay per view ...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #131

I saw it today (a 10:30 AM show) with my ladyfriend. Her popcorn wasn't hot enough and one of the many brats in the audience (sitting behind her) was kicking her seat a lot. But it was a new experience seeing a movie in 3d for the first time ever. My LF had a bunch of theater gift cards so it didn't really cost us anything to see it. I give the movie 3 stars, it was pretty good but hardly spectacular.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I'll wait for pay per view ...
I'll wait for the book....and then I won't read it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote