Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After the holidays, I'll go to a matinee when kids are in school and I won't have to deal with any crowds.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I can wait a few weeks till the crowds get lower...

Something interesting... one of my sisters and a BIL (not her husband) went to the very first Star Wars when it first opened.... before it got big... she said that the theater was pretty empty....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I can wait a few weeks till the crowds get lower...

Something interesting... one of my sisters and a BIL (not her husband) went to the very first Star Wars when it first opened.... before it got big... she said that the theater was pretty empty....
My ex and I did that too, in our case not because we were cool and all-knowing, but just by chance. We had never heard of it. We liked sci-fi, and my ex said, "hey, there's a new sci-fi movie showing tonight, let's go see if it is any good". It was.

For some reason the crowds did not materialize for a week or two after it started showing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, maybe Christmas day.
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't seen any of them; in fact the last movie I saw was The Fly Boys, before that, Gremlims.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #26
Administrator

Funny thing. I looked at IMDB yesterday afternoon, before it had been released, and there were already more than 9K ratings. Now there are more than 30K. Hard to imagine so many people with IMFB accounts have seen it.

Could be some people just know it's going to be good.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Saw the first 3 in the theaters, didn't see any of the next 3, not even on TV. Heard they were bad.

But one of them led to this:

Yeah I generally prefer to watch at home but I do have theater gift cards, though I may use them for other movies.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Yes, when it's comes out on either HBO or NetFlix. I can wait.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Saw the first 3 in the theaters, didn't see any of the next 3, not even on TV. Heard they were bad.

But one of them led to this:
That video was hilarious.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I am not in a rush to see it. My ladyfriend and I will probably see it on a weekend matinee. We have a bunch of gift cards for AMC theaters so it hopefully will be playing at one of those in the area.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #31

We plan to see it on Christmas day. We have one of those new Cinemark theaters with the HD and 3D and we haven't been there yet. We always go to the movies on Christmas so this looks like it will be the one this year.

DH and I saw the original in the theater when it first came out. I remember liking it but I'm not a big sci-fi fan. I think I saw one more of the Star Wars series but I couldn't tell you which one or what it was about.

I'll go just to see Harrison Ford again as Han Solo.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #32

We'll go see it eventually but certainly not until the crowds have thinned way down or perhaps wait for the DVD.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Saw the first Star Wars movie...fell asleep during it. I have no interest in these types of movies.
Reminds me of the time, in the late 1970s, when I took two of my friend's young sons to see the original movie........during one of the interminable 'rocket ship chase sequences' the younger of the two turned to me and asked "Is it over yet?"

Since his brother was of the same mind we took that as an opportune time to depart.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes.....eventually
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #35

Short answer: Yes. IMAX 3D, as a family, with DS's best friend and best friend's dad.

Long answer: DS wants to go Saturday instead of attending the college graduation ceremony where he knows he'll be bored. DS has spent 5-1/2 years in college to get two degrees (at our encouragement to explore learning and have a couple of different skill sets.) He's was slated to graduate this Saturday, then found out he was missing a 3 unit course required for the BA degree in media arts and design, in of all things, philosophy. So disgusted is he that his advisor did not check to see if he fulfilled all of his requirements that he doesn't want to go to the graduation ceremony 3 hours from home. He's taking the last course online at our local community college. So, he's decided he wants to see Star Wars and we're joining him. He will get the education degree anyway in the mail and will start applying for his teaching license.

We're looking forward to Saturday and have our tickets.

Did anyone ever see Hardware Wars? It was a 10-15 minute pretend trailer spoof of the original Star Wars. My favorite line: "You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll kiss three bucks goodbye."

It was shown right before the midnight Rocky Horror Picture Show at the UC Theater in Berkeley for years. Went there several times with my friends.

So yeah, I like Star Wars. Escapism, special effects were the attractions, and still are. I'm not ashamed.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #36

We're on vacation in Myrtle Beach. So, I prefer to maximize my time at the beach, which is 76 F now. It's like Spring and the pools are heated.

When we go home next week - then we go see Star Wars, no rush. I must admit the trailers are not so exciting as the last trilogy.

Many questions - the black guy is a stormtrooper, but the last story line ... stormtroopers were clone armies of the bounty hunter. Then, he wields a lightsaber ... is he the descendant of Master Windu? The teen girl .. I guess she's a Skywalker? But in the trailer, she says 'I'm a nobody'. And Darth Vader had an apprentice - the new Sith Lord ? hmmm .. ok. I donno, doesn't seem so exciting.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
My son and his friends are going Friday night. I want to see it but I'll wait for school to start again in January and go to a half price matinee.
Being retired, I can go to the cheap shows.
+1 That's our plan. Most of the time we go to the first show of the day when there are only 4-6 other people in the theater. No worries about rude people and we get great seats. I don't think I have been to an expensive evening movie in years.

I may have to Netflix episodes 4,5 and 6 so I can refresh my memory on what is going on.

Also make sure I have my earplugs. We usually use them for loud adventure/scifi type movies when the sound is way too loud.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

My work rented out an entire theater and is having trivia and costume contests. Yes, I'll be there tonight. In costume. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I do love sci-fi and it'll be a fun event. I'm also going to take my brother's family when I go home for Christmas, so I'll see it twice in theaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #39

Just got my reserved seats at the theater with super comfy recliner seats for a 3D showing on Monday Morning.

Lots of seats available for the early morning shows... not so much in the afternoon/evening.

I predict DH will fall asleep during it... A recliner and a movie... he won't be able to keep his eyes open. (He's the king of naps.) Both of my sons are very excited.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great perspectives! Enjoy everyone - sooner or later
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote