Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As I packed in prep for our downsize I asked myself if I would be upset if the item I was preparing to pack broke or got lost. If the answer was "no" I tossed it or gave it away. As a result I have only what I need or what I love.

"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by haha View Post
When my brother in law's Dad died he had one of those huge jobsite dumpsters moved to the front door, and he and some friends spent a long weekend just throwing stuff away. He just assumed he didn't want any of it, the past is the past, lets get on to the future.

This was made much easier by his single status. I think they filled 3 of them over a few days

My mom died last year, and we spent a lot of time getting rid of her stuff. We donated tons, threw more tons away, and then had all the furniture and stuff that seemed to be of better quality sold at auction. Not a fancy auction, just a local country one at the VFD. I will donate the money to the local animal shelter that she supported. But I was shocked at how little money came from it. I shouldn't have been, since most of it was of the "how much for this box of crap" - "sold for one dollar" auction style. But it drove home how little your precious items are worth to someone else.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I definitely have a love/hate relationship with stuff. Our stuff follows the pareto principle. Except instead of 80/20 it's probably 90/10 in our case for our stuff. As in 10% of our stuff brings us 90% of the value.

I think once DW retires for good in the near future, we will embark on a grand purge of epic proportions. Maybe make it a game like 1 item per day for a whole year (with pics).

Per Haha's sage advice, I'll just have to make sure the process doesn't encourage DW to discard me!

I dream of moving to a swank studio or 1 BR once the kids are out of the house with much less stuff than we have right now. I think about how much of our stuff right now is just stuff we own to help maintain our other stuff. Like the paint supplies I store in our shed. We need the shed mostly to store home maintenance stuff like the painting gear, lawnmower, yard tools, etc.

But I don't think DW shares the same desire for minimalist living, so we'll probably stay in our current home (the view is nice and it's relatively cheap and we can afford it).
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado
The manufacturer of the espresso maker wrote me back today. They are sorry that their machine caused harm and understand that I already bought another brand and wouldn't want a replacement of the same design. They have graciously given us a credit and we are welcome to select from the large range of products on their website.

Fantastic. More stuff. Anybody need a fancy blender or toaster oven. Brand new never been used...
Going Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
However, now that I am ER'd I have less desire for stuff in general. I much prefer experiences.
+1 Ditto!

I pretty much stopped buying guy-toys and related "stuff". I don't miss it though because I still have lots of very nice, although older, toys to play with. These were a few decades worth of "bribes" to keep me running the mini-Megacorp rat race before FIRE.
Living the dream...
FreeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
There is definitely a difference between "possessions" vs. "stuff" vs. "clutter"

I'm a big fan of possessions - take away my big screen, laptop, iPhone or bike and grumpiness will ensue.

I don't mind stuff if it's tasteful, personal or rounds out a house. Piles of board games that get used on average once every 18 months still brings value by getting the family around the table. We have a rarely used sitting room with shelves full of books. But it makes me smile when I sit there and take a phone call. Because it's rarely used, it also doesn't attract clutter which makes it serene.

Which brings me to "clutter" --- AARGH!!! I despise the random crap that collects throughout a home. Trinkets, magazines, mini flashlights, old dishes, unused decorating items, trophies...pls just kill me now. But as I have two teen agers we're still near "peak stuff". Down from the toys era...but still...ugh.
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity.
krotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:00 AM   #27
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
But as I have two teen agers we're still near "peak stuff".
Great term "peak stuff". Have to remember that

Although I don't think we'll ever run out of stuff.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #28
Can anyone on here admit to being a hoarder? We downsized a few years ago, cutting our sq ft in half, got rid of a lot of clutter in the process. Unfortunately, built a library for DW that is still not totally usable due to various stages of clutter on the floor that is still in the process of being disposed of
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #29
I was a hoarder, but I'm slowly recovering. I now spend about one day a week getting rid of stuff as opposed to 7 days a week accumulating stuff.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #30
It is amazing how much crap one accumulates over time.
Normal is an illusion...what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
I live by myself and when the weekly trash collection comes, there's usually hardly anything in my trash bucket. A few years ago I made a point of filling that trash bucket to the top every week, in the spirit of de-cluttering the house. I was amazed at how much useless stuff I had laying around, and it was very easy to fill that trash bucket every week.

I think I need to start doing this again for a while.
(retired 2009, age 48)
JoeDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
I hate random stuff. We have lived in the same small house forever so we have to stay on top of stuff. For the most part our rule is, nothing new comes in without something old going out. We try to use or enjoy everything, and we do have a lot of sentimental things. But if there's no pleasure in possessing them, out they would go.

An espresso machine used frequently is not stuff, by the way

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote