state DOR doesn't want error fixed

JohnEyles

Full time employment: Posting here.
Maybe this belongs in "Other Topics" ...

I found a bug in my state's TurboTax. It caused my tax to be
undercomputed by $3. I'm sure they're many other people for
whom the same bug would be also computing too little tax.
I called the DOR and they said "you'll need to report that to
Turbotax". I said "so you don't care that a bunch of people are
reporting too little tax ?" The drone repeated her statement.
Wow !

I guess I'll do nothing. Although, I'm slightly tempted to see if
I can get some sort of reward ...

I called the DOR and they said "you'll need to report that to Turbotax".
I guess I'll do nothing. Although, I'm slightly tempted to see if
I can get some sort of reward ...
Who knows, maybe Intuit will be so grateful that you'll get a free copy of your state's TurboTax 2008.

For whatever that's worth...

It would probably cost DOR $4+ per affected taxpayer to mail out notifications and process revised tax returns. One would hope they would opt to ignore those $3 underpayments on a cost/benefit rationale (assuming govt entities apply logic/economics like the rest of us).

It would probably cost DOR $4+ per affected taxpayer to mail out notifications and process revised tax returns.
The state of Hawaii just spent $50K to mail out a second set of property-tax bills after the first set was noted to be titled "2006-2007" instead of "2007-2008".

And I'm sure there's some more costs to answering all the panicked/outraged phone calls from taxpayers who thought they were being double-billed.

The head bureaucrat says they'll make it up from the office-supplies budget. I bet the state employees are already hiding the toilet paper...

I found a bug in my state's TurboTax. It caused my tax to be undercomputed by $3.

You know, I used Turbo Tax State in Virginia for three years, and in two of those three years I got a notice that I owed additional tax of around $100 plus penalties. I never found the problem, so I quit using Turbo Tax State and just used the Virginia online calculators, and didn't have any further problems. Turbo Tax Federal worked fine. I wonder if the Virginia tax [-]grubbers[/-] authorities [-]ignore[/-] understand the problem, since it does bring in additional revenue.

Back
Top Bottom