Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no interest in subscribing to papers.

Don't like the newsprint smell or feel.

But after seeing the John Oliver piece (and I like the little scene at the end with some famous actors about some fictional paper called Stoplight, after Spotlight movie), I may consider paying for some digital subscriptions.

Have to admit, I don't generally read articles about local or state govt. that much. And national and international news are pretty well-covered by web sites for organizations like CNN, NY Times, Washington Post, BBC, Guardian, etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My local paper is actually pretty good if you live in its immediate service area. They even still do some investigative reporting on state issues. The problem is that I live outside the city limits of the BIG City the paper is named after. As a result, reading that paper will tell me a lot about what is happening in Big City, but nothing about the city I live in. They used to have a special section for coverage of the cities around Big City and and office for the people who worked on that coverage. However, now, we are forgotten. FWIW, more people live in the surrounding cities than in Big City, but we are treated like our concerns are not important. So, I cancelled my subscription.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I have no interest in subscribing to papers.

Don't like the newsprint smell or feel.

But after seeing the John Oliver piece (and I like the little scene at the end with some famous actors about some fictional paper called Stoplight, after Spotlight movie), I may consider paying for some digital subscriptions.

Have to admit, I don't generally read articles about local or state govt. that much. And national and international news are pretty well-covered by web sites for organizations like CNN, NY Times, Washington Post, BBC, Guardian, etc.
Funny you should bring up local government. My wife is a county supervisor in our fairly rural county. A couple about my age who live in our district had to deal with county zoning to subdivide their oversize property and carve off a couple of lots, so they had to appear at the courthouse last night.

As they were chatting with my wife after the meeting, one of them asked, "So, how did you get this job?" Uh, it's an elective office. She's been elected three times. They also appeared to be unaware that town board members were also elected.

These are levels of government that have jurisdiction over roads, law enforcement, land use planning and social services. They can have as much influence on an individual's life as any federal agency. It just amazes me that people don't take the time to follow, or at least understand, what's going on in their own political back yard.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My local paper is actually pretty good. They even still do some investigative reporting on state issues. The problem is that I live outside the city limits of the BIG City the paper is named after. As a result, reading that paper will tell me a lot about what is happening in Big City, but nothing about the city I live in. They used to have a special section for coverage of the cities around Big City and and office for the people who worked on that coverage. However, now, we are forgotten. FWIW, more people live in the surrounding cities than in Big City, but we are treated like our concerns are not important. So, I cancelled my subscription.
In my paper's heyday it had three suburban bureaus in outlying counties, each staffed with about half a dozen reporters. That's all gone now.

A number of years ago an online concern attempted to duplicate that level of community journalism. It was called Patch.com. A few vestiges of it still exist.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Our local paper gets thinner and thinner and costs more and more every year.
Yeah, that would be our paper, too. The KC Star now has a very slimmed-down version on Monday (two sections instead of 3), they charge $2 for the Saturday edition because it has "extras", and the Sunday edition just jumped from $2 to $3. We used to have it delivered, but the latest carrier got it to us about 50% of the time so now I just pick it up at the grocery store next to the gym if they haven't run out- and never on Saturday! Bonus: we no longer pay for it when we're out of town. They stopped giving vacation credits quite awhile ago.

They do still occasionally do good investigative journalism. The "HOAs from Hell" article posted elsewhere here was mostly KC Star work- they sometimes collaborate with other newspapers in the McClatchy chain. They once did some really ingenious research with the National Practitioner Database, a downloadable database of medical malpractice incidents with no doctors' names, cross-referencing it with court records, to name and shame doctors who were practicing locally with licenses that had been suspended in other states. So, we still try to support that paper.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I haven't been a paid subscriber for years. I'm surprised our local paper is still going. Our largest paper in Jackson, MS recently ran a promo for their online version for just $10 for the first year. Normally cost that per month. I signed up and I admit, it's pretty good. It even includes USA Today. But when the promo runs out.....I'll opted out.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
In my paper's heyday it had three suburban bureaus in outlying counties, each staffed with about half a dozen reporters. That's all gone now.

A number of years ago an online concern attempted to duplicate that level of community journalism. It was called Patch.com. A few vestiges of it still exist.
What has replaced the former bureaus in my area is online blogs. There are several operated by concerned citizens that will bring things to light such as - "Developer sues city to build 15 story office park next to elementary school" and "Local dogs finally have their park" and "Parents complain about brewery near daycare center".

FWIW, the local Big City paper also prints lots of advertising flyers that get stuffed into my mailbox and they seem to print and deliver the WSJ in my area. So, I have to assume they are still making money.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #28

I gave up on the local paper many years ago. There use to be 2 papers (one in the morning and one in the evening) a looooong time ago with different names but owned, run and printed by the same people. They started going downhill a couple of decades ago. As many have posted the quality has diminished in too many ways to name. I only keep up with the paper on Sat when a few of us broadcast a 2 hour radio show for the sight impaired on the local PBS station. The local articles are often full of grammatical errors and difficult to read due to poor sentence structure etc. The majority of the news is via wire service that you can get from other media sources. The only news sources that are worse are the local TV news programs. Now there is a useless source of "news" fluff where the announcements for the upcoming news stories make up the entire report.

Cheers!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
..........It just amazes me that people don't take the time to follow, or at least understand, what's going on in their own political back yard.
Worse, in my area one party dominates, so these decisions are made in the primaries when only about 20% of those eligible vote. So, a small minority makes the decisions.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Worse, in my area one party dominates, so these decisions are made in the primaries when only about 20% of those eligible vote. So, a small minority makes the decisions.
^Same thing here. Our county commission chairman was up for re-election and it turned out to be quite the race (he did some back door dealing to get the Atlanta Braves to move out of the city and into our county). Even though EVERYONE was talking about the race, only 9% turned out for the primary run-off, which in essence IS the election (the winner will run unopposed in November). Folks really don't understand that their local officials can impact their lives MUCH more so than the national election.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

We need to take a stand that local newspapers keep being printed. Whats next...kids will no longer know how to write in cursive? Oh the horror!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #32

We have two local papers--one Minneapolis, one St. Paul. The St. Paul is good for small town-ish stuff; the Mpls (IMHO) for world, national, arts, etc. Both serve their purposes.

I still relish Sunday mornings lounging with the paper (even if a lot of it is ads), as we did with the Tribune when I was coming up in Chicago-land.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
We need to take a stand that local newspapers keep being printed. Whats next...kids will no longer know how to write in cursive? Oh the horror!
The horror is that without real journalism, a critical part of the check and balance system is missing. Your local (or state or national) politicians can get away with all kinds of corruption and you will never know it. That is a big deal to me, because if journalists don't do it I don't know who else will.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #34

I just checked some subscription prices.

NY Times Basic digital is $3.75 a week or over $200 a year.

LA Times is more, like $4-5 a week.

SJ Mercury News is $2.50 a week.

I would have done $50-60 a year but I don't know, this is more or less to help keep those papers running because I wouldn't have the time to read enough of them on a daily or even monthly basis.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Not so much to do with journalism as with the process of putting out the product, my local paper is at times very poorly thrown together. It seems like there is no proof reader or editor looking over the articles or even pages before it goes to print.

Sometimes an article ends in the middle of a sentence like it was supposed to be continued on another page. Other times, the articles continue on other pages but are totally non sequitur, not even the same article. And the spelling and grammar are often atrocious.

Occasionally, the same article is printed twice in different places in the same edition and other times the same article appears again the next day. I guess it doesn't matter that much since it is 80% ads anyway.
Plus 1. My local screws up multiple times a week. Sad state.

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I just checked some subscription prices.

NY Times Basic digital is $3.75 a week or over $200 a year.

LA Times is more, like $4-5 a week.

SJ Mercury News is $2.50 a week.

I would have done $50-60 a year but I don't know, this is more or less to help keep those papers running because I wouldn't have the time to read enough of them on a daily or even monthly basis.
The LA Times sounds high--my Chicago Tribune online is $10 a month including delivery of a print edition of the Sunday paper (they like to get those Sunday ads into your house). I think that's reasonable for all that content (plus all online coverage) plus access to the archives going back to forever, but you should call if you care and suggest a $60/year deal--they might jump at it.