Join Early Retirement Today

Re: State of Spam Demonstrates Government's Incompetence
Old 01-20-2007, 10:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I read your link and must admit that I am not impressed by it. The cited figures are really nothing more than a guess. SWAG (scientific wild ass Guess
Of course they are a SWAG - how could anyone possibly come up with an EXACT figure?

Makes no diff, time, effort, money are wasted fighting spam. $10B, 5B, 1B - still a lot of wasted $$$.

Quote:
Seriously, I don't know anyone that doesn't waste at least hour or two a week (more probably a day!) doing personal things at work. SO deleting a few junk mails is the least of corporate worries.
So, because people do waste some time at work, making them waste more is OK? Strange logic. We can just keep adding time wasters until zero work is done, and each time waster is OK because there are other time wasters? Wonderful world that would be.

And, you conveniently ignore that spam sometimes shuts down a companies mail system. Someone can't get a quote form you? They go to your competitor. Lost a sale - that is not good business.

Quote:
PS: An argument could probably be made that SPAM actually "creates" jobs. IT jobs are high paid and usually have great benefits. Are you against high paying jobs with benefits
Go back to ECON 101. 'Creating' jobs does not create value. If that was the case, we could solve all the worlds economy problems by paying people to do anything or nothing at all. Where would the money come from, if they are not creating value? The only jobs worth creating are those that create value, or support the people that create value.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

wab, you hit it ... they call them "bots" ... like robots. Individual is crusing the 'net on their home computer, visits a web site that downloads software on their computer, unbeknownst to them ... that software wipes out their anti-spy software, and installs itself. It is then used to effectively launder emails ... spam is sent to the bot, and the bot sends it out to the eventual recipient.

Alex, I empathize with your pessimism about government solving this ... but spam does cost us all a ton of money.

This past week our server was down for about a day and a half ... due to spam. They say they block 15 for every one that is now getting through. They believe this latest attack was coming from Russia, using about 75,000 bots ... who knows for sure. It cost us lost productivity, and instead of solving some real IT issues and creating tools we need ... our IT folks and consultants were fending off a spam attack.

Our IT folks report to me, and our IT Director is increasingly concerned about all of this. Frankly, if it continues to grow, it will make the 'net less and less usable. We'll need to see some very creative measures to stop this abuse, but I don't know what can be done on an international scale. Will be interesting.

And, I don't know about you folks, but I'm seeing phishing on almost a daily basis now ... eBay (getting better), PayPal, banks, credit unions, etc. I send 'em all to spoof@"institutionname".com. I wonder how many come from Nigeria ... at least those "I am the assistant to the Imperial Secretary of Eastern Congo, and I need your help ..." are humorous.

By the way ... psst ... there's a new stock, SPAM ... set to EXPLODE! Get on the bandwagon now before you miss that uptick!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I take it back...spam is the best thing ever.

Just looked in my google spam and it contained the subject:

"Important: to extenuate the butthole"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Priceless...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Of course they are a SWAG - how could anyone possibly come up with an EXACT figure?

Makes no diff, time, effort, money are wasted fighting spam. $10B, 5B, 1B - still a lot of wasted $$$.

So, because people do waste some time at work, making them waste more is OK? Strange logic. We can just keep adding time wasters until zero work is done, and each time waster is OK because there are other time wasters? Wonderful world that would be.

And, you conveniently ignore that spam sometimes shuts down a companies mail system. Someone can't get a quote form you? They go to your competitor. Lost a sale - that is not good business.

Go back to ECON 101. 'Creating' jobs does not create value. If that was the case, we could solve all the worlds economy problems by paying people to do anything or nothing at all. Where would the money come from, if they are not creating value? The only jobs worth creating are those that create value, or support the people that create value.

-ERD50

Yeah, sure. Everyone's time is so f'n important. Thats why you never post on an internet forum, check your personal e-mail, or talk to your friends while at work?? : Gimme a break. The average worker in the USA (according to the linked article) wastes 2 hrs per day! Hows about a little reality check? If spam is the biggest problem you have, you are a very lucky person.
Quote:
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) It probably will take you a few minutes to read this article, which won't put too much of a dent in your workday, right?

But add to that the time you spend trolling (elsewhere on) the Internet, chatting with colleagues about your life or Lhasa Apsos, booking your next vacation, and making all those admit it -- aimless phone calls to your spouse or friends.

Before you know it, you've killed a couple of hours, not including lunch.

Apparently, that's typical for the American worker, according to a survey released Monday by Salary.com and AOL, a unit of Time Warner, CNN/Money.com's parent company.

More than 10,000 respondents in the online survey admitted to wasting, on average, 2.09 hours per day.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/08/pf/wastedtime_job/
Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, sure.

... Hows about a little reality check? If spam is the biggest problem you have ...
Alex, you seem so stuck on your position that spam is a small problem, that it doesn't really bother anybody. You have not listened to what other people and sources have told you. Look at Charles post on his real life experience. His company experienced a total waste of valuable resources.

I'm not going to try to convince you any further. You have made up your mind. Your only answer seems to be 'is not!'.

I like a good discussion. I like to be proven wrong, so that I can learn. I don't like contradiction.

bye - ERD50
Old 01-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #47

Ok ERD - you're right. Spam is simply the biggest problem we face in american the world today. It is, in all reality, an absolutely "hah-yooge" problem that causes misery and pain for millions billions of people all over the planet galaxy. All perpetrators of spam should be publicly executed. Feel better?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ok ERD - you're right. Spam is simply the biggest problem we face in american the world today. It is, in all reality, an absolutely "hah-yooge" problem that causes misery and pain for millions billions of people all over the planet galaxy. All perpetrators of spam should be publicly executed. Feel better?
I'm glad the capital punishment idea has resurfaced.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #49

Troll alert ...
Old 01-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
Troll alert ...
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote