Join Early Retirement Today

Stationary Recumbent Bikes..........
Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stationary Recumbent Bikes..........

DW has told me she "would really like one". Which means, I better do some quick research and "git ur done".

Anyone own one, know the good brands, etc?? There's a bunch of them on the local craigslist. I have seen new ones as high as $2000........

Looking more in the $200-$300 range.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think Consumer Reports liked the Schwinn.... ?

I have an Excel 395 which was very cheap. It is fine, but it would be neat to have one with a pulse monitor built into the handles like the ones at my gym.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
I Have the "Old" Schwinn 205P
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I Have the "Old" Schwinn 205P

I don't think they make it anymore, but it is fully recumbent verses a recumbent. It sits about a foot off the floor and looks like some sort of racing machine. It's built like a tank - I weight north of 250 lbs. and it is rock steady with me riding on it. It does not have the "bells and whistles" of other bikes, but it is really easy on the back - which is good because I've had back problems off and on for over 15 years now . I got it on clearance about 7 years ago for $299 at a exercise equipment store. I've put over 9,000 miles on it - according to the odometer.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
DW has told me she "would really like one". Which means, I better do some quick research and "git ur done".

Anyone own one, know the good brands, etc?? There's a bunch of them on the local craigslist. I have seen new ones as high as $2000........

Looking more in the $200-$300 range.........
My advice is : Don't go the cheap route on this type of purchase or it will end up never being used. The last thing you need is a piece of exercise equipment that never gets used!! I recommend you look into the Diamondback Recumbent bikes. I have the 1150r model. It is very comfortable and very high quality. It is equal to or better than the those $5000 lifecycles you see at the gym for a third of the price. I paid around $1200 if memory serves. But, I bought the top of the line model - they make several models in various price ranges. Anyway it is a nice piece of equipment, smooth, quite, and very, very comfortable (the seat is the best on the market). It is such a great piece of equipment that I have no excuses! I've used it 4-5 x per week religiously since I bought 4 yrs ago. good luck!

Home Page-Diamondback Fitness
Old 07-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We also have an Excel 395 and have used it for about 6 or 7 years when it is either too hot or too cold to get exercise by walking. It was not too expensive ($299). I would suggest that if you get one of these that shortly after getting it you contact the company and request a repair parts package. The parts include various items that may or may not breakdown and can be used, if necessary to make repairs. They will send the package as long as you are in the warranty period. I did need one small part early on which is how I am aware of this package. Since that small repair the bike has been fine. As an aside, these things, can will get boring. We have ours set up in the basement along with the thread mill, which will get boring to use too. Personally we set up a small TV to watch and it is amazing how an interesting show can make the exercise period go much, much faster. I do not know if you frequent "yard sales" but I have been surprised on how much exercise equipment can be found at these things. Stationary, reclining bikes can be had for a very small part of the initial purchase price. Just remember to reduce the asking price substantially as these things are heavy and pointing out that accepting your offer means they will not have to rustle the thing back into the house can make the purchase more of a bargain.

We got ours at Sports Authority.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Schwinn -- um. Blanking on the model, and it's at home, so will have to check it later. It fell right into your price range, though near the higher end. We've had it for two years and no problems with it at all.
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the cheaper models has served us fine....100 bucks or so with the pulse meter in the handle bars, etc. Had to put it together, which was fun....we also mostly use when it too cold/too hot...