Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'd keep a skeptical eye on that research. Remember when 3M suddenly discovered ScotchGard chemicals in everyone's systems?
All they can do is list what known problem plastics are NOT in their product. We can't know about chemicals that come up the future issues.

Actually, I didn't remember about the ScotchGard thing.

Any manufactured container would be at risk for some kind of contamination I suppose.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
All they can do is list what known problem plastics are NOT in their product. We can't know about chemicals that come up the future issues.
Actually, I didn't remember about the ScotchGard thing.
Any manufactured container would be at risk for some kind of contamination I suppose.
Yep. I'm just wary of "don't worry, everything's OK" research:
Scotchgard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Especially when the substance is so pervasive:
Bisphenol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's amazing that we survived our childhood HAZMAT chronic exposures.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does this take care of the water issue? One of the things I always hated about microwave steaming in a covered dish is how wet the veggies are because of the added water. Also, you have to stir. The fantastic thing about the bags is that they steam the veggies without adding water, letting any excess escape. So the veggies come out evenly cooked but not wet.

I see the Amazon review that someone switched from the bags to the silicone steamer so they must work the same? (I'm not convinced about venting out the steam though). But I have not had any trouble so far reusing my bags.

Audrey
The silicone steamer I have has little holes on the top for excess steam. No added liquid required.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #24
Administrator

I steam veggies in the microwave but don't use plastic wrap and don't buy special bags.... I am waaay too cheap and fundamentally suspicious of super heated plastic.

I put washed veggies (or frozen) in a ceramic bowl like a cereal bowl or large soup bowl add a small amount of water and cover with a salad plate or saucer. The plate sits on the bowl right side up and any steam collects on the underside of plate and drips back into bowl. The slight slope of the underside of the plate makes this work well. If you invert the plate, steam escapes and veggies boil dry. When veggies are done, the plate covering them can become the serving dish or if a bowl is a better service choice, just leave as is. Why use plastic, when there's no need?

Taters... I start in microwave and finish in the oven if I have time. They just taste better.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

For potatoes I pre cook them in the microwave and finish them on the grill . They turn out perfect .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW bought a gadget about 10 years ago and it's still in use today. Plastic unit about 10" in diameter, bottom pan about 1" deep, main dish about 4" deep with many holes in the bottom, top lid has a slot for steam to escape. 1/2 " of water in the bottom steams veggies and taters perfectly. Have never seen another one since we purchased this unit. Sort of like a rice cooker but better. Think she got it on Home Shopping.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The silicone steamer I have has little holes on the top for excess steam. No added liquid required.
Great! Thanks for the info.

Audrey
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I steam veggies in the microwave but don't use plastic wrap and don't buy special bags.... I am waaay too cheap and fundamentally suspicious of super heated plastic.

I put washed veggies (or frozen) in a ceramic bowl like a cereal bowl or large soup bowl add a small amount of water and cover with a salad plate or saucer. The plate sits on the bowl right side up and any steam collects on the underside of plate and drips back into bowl. The slight slope of the underside of the plate makes this work well. If you invert the plate, steam escapes and veggies boil dry. When veggies are done, the plate covering them can become the serving dish or if a bowl is a better service choice, just leave as is. Why use plastic, when there's no need?

Taters... I start in microwave and finish in the oven if I have time. They just taste better.
Ditto. Unless I am doing something very special with my veggies, this is how we always cook them in my household (except green beans, they get carmelized in butter in the iron skillet).
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoineag View Post
Ditto. Unless I am doing something very special with my veggies, this is how we always cook them in my household (except green beans, they get carmelized in butter in the iron skillet).
This reminded me of this tip on cooking frozen corn. (Yeah, I snickered when I first heard about it but, oh, how delicious the corn turned out to be.) I have tried it in other dishes since watching the video and can highly recommend this process.

America's Test Kitchen TV OnDemand
(And then click on "Quesadillas" on the left.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We cook fresh corn on the cob in its own husk in the microwave. Comes out fantastic!

Audrey
Old 02-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
We cook fresh corn on the cob in its own husk in the microwave. Comes out fantastic!

Audrey
I do that. Quick and easy and tasty.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #32
gone traveling

The trick to cooking great potatoes in the microwave is to nuke them for 3-5 minutes, or until you can stick a fork in them, then wrap them in aluminum foil for at least 5-10 min.

This works great with squash, too. Cut it up, remove seeds, brush with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, nuke until it's "fork-soft", wrap in foil and let it sit.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Many of you see cooking as a form of entertainment. I see cooking at home as mostly refueling-- the frugal acquisition of essential nutrients that's one step healthier than having McDonald's delivered daily.
Jamie Oliver: 'Eat your chips,' just not every day - CNN.com

Quote:
When celebrity chef Jamie Oliver sat down for an interview with CNN -- just after giving a speech in which he railed against America's unhealthy food system -- he remarked that he was tired and wished he had a beer.

That's the charm of Oliver -- the dynamic cook who grew up working in his dad's pub in Essex, England, and went on to become "The Naked Chef." He doesn't seem particularly interested in food rules. He just wants people to be healthier. And to be healthier, he says, we need to learn where our food comes from and to know how to cook it.
Be sure to also watch the "$100,000 and One Wish" video (left side mid-page).

For Mr. Oliver's TED speech go to:

Jamie Oliver's TED Prize wish: Teach every child about food | Video on TED.com
Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure what you're telling me, but I can see that post may have given the impression that we're eating poorly.

We eat so damn healthily, and with so few processed ingredients or convenience foods, that I can hardly stand it. My point is that we don't spend one more minute or erg of effort on our diet than seems necessary, and if we invested any less effort then we'd have to have the food delivered. We even have our kid doing most of the grocery shopping these days, which she's young enough to think is fun and exciting.

I've noticed that we eat more salad if we buy the bagged stuff than if we depend on one of us to start tearing & slicing...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're telling me, ...
Actually, I meant nothing by it. Certainly, nothing personal. I was merely pointing out the importance of "honoring the kitchen gods" during the preparation process.