Join Early Retirement Today

Steel Siding??
Old 05-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Steel Siding??

I'm down to the final two bids for the siding, roofing, and gutters on the house.

The guy tonight says he does a lot of STEEL siding.....anyone ever heard of that?

Also, I got talked out of Hardiplank, it's VERY expensive, and I have heard termites and certain ants like to eat it.............. :P :P

I am leaning toward foam-backed vinyl, but wondering the thought on steel??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Steel Siding??
Old 05-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
The guy tonight says he does a lot of STEEL siding.....anyone ever heard of that?
Nope. Reminds me of Richard Dreyefus & Danny DeVito in "Tin Men".

Has he given you the addresses of his ten oldest steel-sided houses?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Also, I got talked out of Hardiplank, it's VERY expensive, and I have heard termites and certain ants like to eat it.............. :P :P
Just curious...by any chance did the guy who told you some termites and ants eat Hardiplank offer to sell you a variable annuity?

Old 05-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

FD,
I researched hardiplank when it first came out and put it on our remodeled house about 5-6 years ago. It still looks like new and from all I have heard it will for many years. We do not have any trouble with termites or ants even though we live down in South Texas with all the assorted evil pests per REWahoo's posts. A great side benefit is that paint lasts on it for many years more than wood because there is no shrinkage in dry weather or swelling when damp. We also put a metal roof on our house and have been very happy with it also. Research the pricing yourself before you believe the metal siding installers price estimates. Also they have a website, google it up......
Good luck with your remodel.
2fer
Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have steel siding on our house, and the stuff is fantastic. We've owned the house for only 6 years now, but the siding has been on for 20+ years, and it looks almost like new. No rust, no maintenance whatsoever as far as I can see. I don't know what the cost of steel siding would be these days (compared to your other options), but I can certainly say it is durable.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Vinyl will depreciate the value of your home, IMHO.

I would take a long look at the steel siding installed and try to find the product that has been in place on a house at least 10 years. It can look funky, or industrial. You want the details of the coating.

My concern is the quality of the siding guy's advice if he told you that termites/carpenter ants eat HardiPlank, you may be being sold the construction version of a variable annuity in an IRA. They will eat the paper on underlayment, but I have never heard of them acquiring a taste for gypsum.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Just curious...by any chance did the guy who told you some termites and ants eat Hardiplank offer to sell you a variable annuity?
No..............if he was offering to sell me a VA he would HAVE PUSHED the Hardiplank............it was 45% more than vinyl, steel, or aluminum..........

Old 05-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Vinyl will depreciate the value of your home, IMHO.

I would take a long look at the steel siding installed and try to find the product that has been in place on a house at least 10 years. It can look funky, or industrial. You want the details of the coating.

My concern is the quality of the siding guy's advice if he told you that termites/carpenter ants eat HardiPlank, you may be being sold the construction version of a variable annuity in an IRA. They will eat the paper on underlayment, but I have never heard of them acquiring a taste for gypsum.
Maybe Vanguard sells siding??

Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Carpenter ants don't eat Hardi-Plank, it's those damn mason-ants.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Maybe Vanguard sells siding??
That was pretty funny coming from a finance guy..
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think you need to get your hearing checked.
Hardiplank is a cement based product.
If termintes eat that - watch out Empire State Building!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Here is the warranty for HardiPlank: http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...k_warranty.php

Mighty fine termite coverage.

There is a world of a difference between how a house looks with HardiPlank versus one with vinyl or steel siding.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

FinanceGuy, please forgive my tease.. HardiPlank is going on our daughter's home in the South Bay area - termite country. Honest, termites do not eat HardiPlank.

The reason why HardiPlank may be more expensive is that it is a lap or board-style, not sheet, install. You can cover a lot of surface with a sheet of vinyl or steel.

I think the vinyl will be more costly from a life-cycle point of view (remember the poster who had hail damage to vinyl siding.. it was almost impossible to match it and the whole house needed re-siding to look right). Whether or not a specific steel install would be the way to go is more complicated. You need to consider the design of your home and how it will look. Ask Sheryl what she thinks.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:31 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I had steel siding put on my house 8+ years ago and am very satisfied. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer right now, though. It is a 2 tone cedar colored siding and looks as good now as when it was installed. I've had some pretty good sized hail hit it with no obvious damage. I just hit it with a garden hose every now and then to wash it off.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Get another contractor. Hardiplank costs no more than wood, although both are a little more expensive than aluminum or vinyl, neither of which I'd put on a house unless it was a run down row house I was going to rent out to six families for the next 40 years and then knock down.

45% premium for hardiplank is a ripoff. I've never heard of steel siding being installed around here but something tells me you'd be running around with a can of rustoleum on a regular basis. Go have a look at anyones 15 year old galvanized steel gutters for a good example.

And run away from the guy talking about ants and termites. Neither can or has any interest in eating concrete.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Get another contractor. Hardiplank costs no more than wood, although both are a little more expensive than aluminum or vinyl, neither of which I'd put on a house unless it was a run down row house I was going to rent out to six families for the next 40 years and then knock down.

45% premium for hardiplank is a ripoff. I've never heard of steel siding being installed around here but something tells me you'd be running around with a can of rustoleum on a regular basis. Go have a look at anyones 15 year old galvanized steel gutters for a good example.

And run away from the guy talking about ants and termites. Neither can or has any interest in eating concrete.

Thanks...............

Old 05-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Talked to my BIL. He said you should be expecting to pay about $3.25 a square foot for vinyl or aluminum and about 4.75 a foot for wood or hardiplank. He said theres really no big premium to putting on the hardi vs wood anymore, the price per foot is close to the same and the labor is actually less for him with hardi as its more consistent than wood siding.

The prices could vary by market, depending on availability of contractor labor and local costs, and also can vary if the home is complex, lots of windows/angles/etc.

What is the current siding and whats the condition of that siding? Doing the windows at the same time?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote