Join Early Retirement Today

Stephen Colbert gets it right: #1 danger
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stephen Colbert gets it right: #1 danger

Posted some of these pics a while ago, but here's the Mail with a few different pics and a bit of the story:

Chilling game of hide and seek with a hungry polar bear | Mail Online

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

#1 danger
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

#1 danger

Or for a child, simply playing with your dog. BTW, this is me as a kid.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #3

This is why I don't believe in the right to arm bears. They are dangerous enough already.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Or for a child, simply playing with your dog. BTW, this is me as a kid.

That dog belongs in the NFL.

Ha
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That dog belongs in the NFL.

Ha
Detroit has already signed him.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Posted some of these pics a while ago, but here's the Mail with a few different pics and a bit of the story:

Chilling game of hide and seek with a hungry polar bear | Mail Online
Nice photo journalist, how come he didn't help out?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Nice photo journalist, how come he didn't help out?
Ah - there was a big bear in the way?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah - there was a big bear in the way?
So, he continued to snap photos so that if the guy died he could give a nice photo album to his grieving family........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, he continued to snap photos so that if the guy died he could give a nice photo album to his grieving family........
Shoot FD - I don't know - maybe thee or me might have run to the corner of Tundra and Permafrost to call 911, or maybe shoved our Kodiak digicams down the gaping mah of Mr. Furry. Maybe not. Maybe photojournalists have some sort of ethic that has them report only, not get involved (i'm thinking photo essays of little dying lion cub orphans or war). Maybe the cameraperson was shouting as they shot pics.

Really though, i suspect the cameracritter was laughing like mad - frontier humour is made of sterner stuff - it's funny since he got away.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Quote:
Shoot FD - I don't know - maybe thee or me might have run to the corner of Tundra and Permafrost to call 911, or maybe shoved our Kodiak digicams down the gaping mah of Mr. Furry. Maybe not. Maybe photojournalists have some sort of ethic that has them report only, not get involved (i'm thinking photo essays of little dying lion cub orphans or war). Maybe the cameraperson was shouting as they shot pics.
I expect the photographer was shooting from a long way off using a telephoto lens and perhaps was not in a position to come to the surveyor's assistance. I don't know if photographers customarily go armed in the tundra, but if he had a gun I hope he had put the camera on automatic and was reaching for it in case the situation got really desperate. But I would think taking a shot under the circumstances would be a last resort—unless the photog was also a sharpshooter, with both of them moving so rapidly, he might have been just as likely to hit the surveyor as the bear.
Quote:
Really though, i suspect the cameracritter was laughing like mad - frontier humour is made of sterner stuff - it's funny since he got away.
There was a comment at the linked newspaper site from someone who laughed at the pictures and thought them "cute" and "funny". I guess this shows that I am a city slicker through and through, because I cannot imagine being amused by someone's desperate attempts to escape from a creature fully capable of killing him, and I'm glad the man in the pictures got away without life-threatening injuries.