Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Steve Miller on Delphi BK
Old 10-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Actually, the US is very, very competitive (world leading) in many areas, especially high tech and high value-added stuff.* We are also bar-none the best in many service areas, such as financial services.

Well, that may be true - for now. But since we can't graduate many engineers/scientists relative to the competition the technology advantage we have now is likely to be lost sometime into the future.

The financial markets/services will whither as the economic base of the country whithers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Actually, the US is very, very competitive (world leading) in many areas, especially high tech and high value-added stuff.* We are also bar-none the best in many service areas, such as financial services.
High tech and financial services are also two of the most easily outsourced types of employment. * *Indians, Russians, and Chinese are very well educated. * I expect them to grow their market share in these areas much faster than we do, and growth is what attracts capital.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM   #23

If all else fails, there may be a good opportunity in selling mud huts in the USA, but better yet, we need to keep coming up with more goodies like the I Pod which of course we then sell to the overseas dudes *that now have money cause they stole our other jobs.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

Personally I am not so concerned about myself but about this country and its' people. Projecting forward the future looks somewhat bleak.
Just about all of the studies of happiness show that happiness increases with material well being only up to a certain point, which is the point where the basics are met. Someone who has a decent apartment and who can afford a TV and a computer probably has enough money to have reached this point. Beyond that, happiness is found to be determined by a different set of factors that do not include material well being (i.e., money). So . . . if the level of income in the US stagnates, or even declines, it may make very little real difference to most people (could be bad news for investors and ERs, though). At some point, enough really is enough. To make a short story long -- therefore, the word "bleak" might not be apropos, except regarding investors and ERs.

HH
Old 10-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Just who's job is really safe in this country ?

What job couldn't be done for less elsewhere ?
Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters, mechanics... an entire service industry!

I'm teaching my kid all those skills. She can't believe that she can get $10/hour for them. Most of you wouldn't believe it either, but her ignorance gives her an entirely different perspective!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters, mechanics... an entire service industry!
You got it right.

A good friend approaching 50 got his marketing degree and has spent almost 30 years laboring away in the Megacorp world. Meanwhile, two cousins he grew up with declined the opportunity to go to college and spent time learning the heating and air conditioning trade. They now have a sizeable business with a fleet of trucks, over 100 employees, and plans to continue to expand. Meanwhile, he's wondering if and when the axe will fall on his job.

I keep pointing out to my kids that the money we've given the grandkids for college can also be used for "trade schools"... 8)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Regarding painters- I don't think there is a painter left in Washington who speaks English. I think the trades that will continue to be well paid are where there is a real cost if it gets screwed up. Like boiler maintenance, etc.

Ha

Old 10-13-2005, 12:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Expanding much further on HaHa's comment... around here you might be able to find a few plumbers left (NOT in sprinkler systems) and electricians that speak English.

On the unions issue - it's all rather sad. I've never been rah-rah union myself, in fact I once lost a job when I was working my way through school due to a union. I was working part-time, and the union boys decided to flex their union muscles and have the few of us part-timers get laid off. That way they would get more time and a half OT.

But it was the US union movement that shortened the workweek, helped get most of the benefits that we all wanted, no, we all thought we deserved. Now its all coming apart. Its like the deconstruction of America. How can companies that have higher wages, and provide health benefits, and pensions, and retiree health coverage, how can they compete against the Toyotas etc. etc. that don't do it?

How can say, an American Airlines complete here if Continental and Northwest are able to shake off their previous commitments? Will every major American company have to put themselves into bankruptcy to "compete" on the world stage now?

FYI, the $65 an hour that the media always mentions about Delphi UAW is wage + cost of benefits. As those of us who are Er'd know, those bennies are very expensive.

I read an article a couple days ago that said the average US worker who is covered by a company health plan is now paying an average of 24% of the actual cost of their family plan... wow, a whole 24%... Can you imagine the bitching and moaning there would be if they had to pay even 75% of their true costs? A lot of BMW's, Lexus, flat panel TV's, latte's etc. wouldn't be bought, to say nothing of all of the foreclosures that would result!

Old 10-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly
how can they compete against the Toyotas etc. etc. that don't do it?
Average Toyota NA salary is $64K. I have no idea what the benes are, but I know their Japanese workers get excellent health benes.

Toyota employs Merkins