Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

wildcat?...come on up!
__________________

__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

No way is that picture real! But if it is, is she in any movies?
__________________

__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 07:37 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,071
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Greg is the only one who has gas
Dan: It looks like we need a new emoticon, one with a clothespin on his nose, either for you--or for me

--Greg
__________________
Compounding: Never forget! Never not remember!
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,408
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Hmmm

Step daughter in spare room posseses elements of the picture(38F) - after two ex husbands and many ex boy friends:

This year I finally got her to place a bet on Target Retirement 2015. Prince Charming can wait.

heh heh heh - 50/50 - a little offense and defense.

Dow 8500? Not to worry! Think dividends.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

I'll go with 10,250.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,375
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Dog 51:

Congratulations to the little guy for having the guts to dislay his golf swing in front of so large an audience.

Just a few things he needs to correct to get at least another 50 yards distance on his tee shots.

He's gaining height in his back swing (not a good thing, usually resulting in "sway", and "coming over the top".

Keeping his left foot close to planted, rather than an exagerrated p/up will help to correct this flaw.

He needs to work on a bigger shoulder turn. (Source of power). Stretching exercises should be helpful to allow him to do so.

He also needs to firm up his left arm somewhat.

Three or four sessions a week at the driving range, working on these three things for the next year or so, he'll see a marked improvement in his game. (More distance, and more consistency).
__________________
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Dog 51:

Congratulations to the little guy for having the guts to dislay his golf swing in front of so large an audience.

Just a few things he needs to correct to get at least another 50 yards distance on his tee shots.

He's gaining height in his back swing (not a good thing, usually resulting in "sway", and "coming over the top".

Keeping his left foot close to planted, rather than an exagerrated p/up will help to correct this flaw.

He needs to work on a bigger shoulder turn. (Source of power).* Stretching exercises should be helpful to allow him to do so.

He also needs to firm up his left arm somewhat.

Three or four sessions a week at the driving range, working on these three things for the next year or so, he'll see a marked improvement in his game.* (More distance, and more consistency).
Yeah the little guy has a lot to work on but he does have pretty good tempo. I will have plenty of time to work with him after 12/31/06.*
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,375
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Yeah the little guy has a lot to work on but he does have pretty good tempo. I will have plenty of time to work with him after 12/31/06.*
Dog 51:* Hope you get as much pleasure out of golf as I have had in the 19 years I've been retired.


Between playing golf, and fly-fishing, I have never been restless since "pulling the pin", and have never been slightly tempted to return to my old life.* (My wife also appreciates it.

Jarhead
__________________
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

I'm gonna go whole hog. Put me down for:

Oil at 75
Gas at 20
Gold at 525

If this really comes to pass, A) my puts and shorts will substantially cushion the beating the rest of my portfolio has taken and B) I will be seriously considering hiding under the covers for a few months.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Dog 51:* Hope you get as much pleasure out of golf as I have had in the 19 years I've been retired.


Between playing golf, and fly-fishing, I have never been restless since "pulling the pin", and have never been slightly tempted to return to my old life.* (My wife also appreciates it.

Jarhead
Thanks! I feel sure I will get plenty of pleasure from golf and traveling. Hopefully I will get a good 19 years in as you have.*
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

What is the price of gas and where might one get it from?
__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Gas refers to the price of a thousand cubic feet of natural gas. I can pull up the number on bloomberg if you remind me when the time comes. Ditto for gold and oil. I'd assume we'll use NYMEX spot for gas, US West Texas Intermediate crude for oil, and New York spot for gold. OK?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Gas refers to the price of a thousand cubic feet of natural gas. I can pull up the number on bloomberg if you remind me when the time comes. Ditto for gold and oil. I'd assume we'll use NYMEX spot for gas, US West Texas Intermediate crude for oil, and New York spot for gold. OK?
Thks. I'll check bloomberg, and yep those are the price sources I'm thinking also.

Let me show my shallow understanding of commodities...At the end of the year, will the gas, gold & oil prices be a future price(and if so, what period) or the current delivered price(is that what they mean by spot) ?
__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Let me show my shallow understanding of commodities...At the end of the year, will the gas, gold & oil prices be a future price(and if so, what period) or the current delivered price(is that what they mean by spot) ?
Heheh, both. There will be futures extending into 2006 and beyond. The december futures should gradually converge into end of year spot prices until the day of settlement. To avoid confusion, we should just use the spot price on the last trading day of the year.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

I don't really care where the Dow finishes the year, and I have no opinion. But I do think that the Nasdaq might drop >=10% over the next 3 weeks or so.

Today I took out $10,000 from rolling down QQQQ Dec39 puts to QQQ Dec37. Of course, it is about time I took something out. Until very recently it was the slot machine that never paid..

BTW, if Brewers predictions come to pass, I'll be so f'n rich I'll fly my own Thai ladies over here to massage me, and avoid that long uncomfortable plane trip.

Do you think they have a skill that can't be provided by the US workforce?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
BTW, if Brewers predictions come to pass, I'll be so f'n rich I'll fly my own Thai ladies over here to massage me, and avoid that long uncomfortable plane trip.

Do you think they have a skill that can't be provided by the US workforce? Ha
I think the question merits an extensive double-blind taste test research project.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-13-2005, 01:28 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I don't really care where the Dow finishes the year, and I have no opinion. But I do think that the Nasdaq might drop >=10% over the next 3 weeks or so.

Today I took out $10,000 from rolling down QQQQ Dec39 puts to QQQ Dec37. Of course, it is about time I took something out. Until very recently it was the slot machine that never paid..

BTW, if Brewers predictions come to pass, I'll be so f'n rich I'll fly my own Thai ladies over here to massage me, and avoid that long uncomfortable plane trip.

Do you think they have a skill that can't be provided by the US workforce?

Ha
You are my hero. Actually, that could be a small business venture involving container ships and a few well placed bribes, and some dreams of a better life in America....
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 136
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

DOW* 10936
SPX* 1245
NASDAQ* 2195


Gonzo
__________________
Life is a beach... and then you die.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

I suppose the manly thing to do would be to go with my original guesstimates, buy hey, I need that plump cash prize you're offering Dan.* * So below are my new WAG's.
Dow--10783
NAS---2175
500---1211

Oil==$52

Thanks,

PS* Looking forward to the Super Bowl contest

__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)
Old 10-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
PS Looking forward to the Super Bowl contest

J - I'm thinking ER Forum Re-Usable Super Tidy Bowl Stink Eliminator for the prize.
__________________

__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Market Woes laurence FIRE and Money 125 06-07-2006 07:05 AM
Stock Market Danny Other topics 14 05-19-2006 03:32 PM
Sleep at Home, but invest in Stock Market intercst FIRE and Money 17 08-19-2005 11:39 PM
1966-1982 - Stock Market return of zero. Cut-Throat FIRE and Money 14 02-20-2004 03:34 AM
Stock Market from 1966-1982 - Nowhere???? Cut-Throat FIRE and Money 8 10-30-2003 05:19 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.