Join Early Retirement Today
"Stop script" freezing computer
Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
"Stop script" freezing computer

Help !! I often get this message when I open an internet link. I know the message is going to come because the computer freezes or acts VERY slow just prior to the message appearing. After this message I need to click on one of 3 boxes.

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

No matter what I pick, the computer still is slow or frozen for a short while. I cleared my cache/cookies [at least, I think I did], but invariably this things crops up again. Do I need a pro to clean up my laptop

mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Not sure what OS you are running, but things running slowly are often due to low available memory (RAM). At that point, the OS needs to start pulling data out of RAM, and writing it to the disk to free up memory. It will then load this memory in from disk when it needs it. This process can be thousand's of times slower than accessing the same data in RAM.

Check your 'Activity Manager' for your OS to see if you are 'paging' or 'swapping' out to disk.

If so, the answer is more RAM, and/or close things that are using a lot of memory.

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You need to install an adblocker, and allow it to block that kind of stuff, if it isn't already on the block list.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been getting a lot of "the website is not responding" as the screen freezes. Along with the "script not responding" stuff. Wasn't happening before.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote

computer question