Stop Snowing already!!!!

freebird5825

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It's a little early in the season for me to do a snow rant, but what the heck. >:D
I was going to go out this AM and take care of the 3" of sleet and freezing rain and snow we got yesterday. The plan was to get a little exercise, burn off some calories and build some muscle tone...looks good on paper, right?
Right now it is snowing to beat the band - getting lake effect snow from Lake Ontario. :rant:
So...do I motivate now and get rid of yesterday's mess?
Or do I just let it snow it's little heart out and wait for a break, then do it all at once?
Or, better yet, do I leave it for dh2b to do when he gets home ? :cool:

It's a little early in the season for me to do a snow rant, but what the heck. >:D
I was going to go out this AM and take care of the 3" of sleet and freezing rain and snow we got yesterday. The plan was to get a little exercise, burn off some calories and build some muscle tone...looks good on paper, right?
Right now it is snowing to beat the band - getting lake effect snow from Lake Ontario. :rant:
Or do I just let it snow it's little heart out and wait for a break, then do it all at once?

As you can probably guess, living in New Orleans I am no expert! But I have heard/read that it is best to remove snow several times and not to wait until it has snowed its little heart out. I'm not sure why, but maybe it lessens the ice underneath. (Others who know more can provide more expert advice, obviously.) When I was a little girl I lived for a while in St. Louis, and my brothers and I had snow removal detail using shovels. My mother made us shovel while the snow was still falling, probably so that it wouldn't become too much for us.

No fair to leave it for your dh2b, if he's at work and you aren't.

Go to the nearest airport and board a plane for Sarasota . Flights are cheap now and I still have Margarita mix from the holidays . We can sit on my deck until the snow melts .To further entice you this is the view from my deck .

Attachments

• DSCN5015.jpg
    DSCN5015.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 6
Just enjoy every minute of it. That's obviously why you live there, isn't it?

Go make a snow angel.

I know what you mean. Its been in the 40s here. Finally getting back up to 60 for the next week. I actually had to wear pants for a few days. The horror.

Ick to have the icy stuff underneath.

When I shovel I usually go out about every three inches, but sometimes that isn't possible or pointless if it is windy and drifting.

The blowing I wait until it is all over. My blower is a monster, it doesn't care if there is two feet on the ground.

I well remember where my monster snow thrower would carve through just about any amount of snow, but when the stuff got deeper than the height of the blower, all the snow above would basically fall down on top of the thing and you'd need to back up, shake or wipe it off, and go over it again.

My technique was to shovel at least a narrow walking path every 3-4", hold off snow-throwing until it approach about 2', then do a run to avoid the snow-thrower-burial phenomenon.

Don't miss that part of my Wisconsin days.

Forecast today for Tucson, AZ: Sunny. Highs 69 to 74.

We used to live in Connecticut - got so sick and tired of the winters, we moved here.

I'd do it a little at a time. Remove what's there now, then go out later and remove what's fallen since the last, then go out later...well, you get the picture. That's how I prefer to remove the snow...unless I know that's it's going to stop in an hour or 2, and stay stopped for a day or so. Much easier to remove a little, than a lot....unless I fire up the snow beast. And I usually only use the blower if we got wet, heavy snow, or if we got more than 5 or 6 inches in one fell swoop. I don't mind shoveling too much....good exercise....fresh air...get to chat with the neighbors. Heck, I even go over and help the neighbor shovel his looong driveway, after I've finished my snow detail here at home.

Go to the nearest airport and board a plane for Sarasota . Flights are cheap now and I still have Margarita mix from the holidays . We can sit on my deck until the snow melts .To further entice you this is the view from my deck .
Oh, don't tempt me like that!
In return, I will cook for you and SO for a week. Deal?
Half kidding ya here...;)
I actually have a friend who is planning on relocating to Daytona Beach to be near her sister. As soon as her house sells, she is history. I am her 2nd string choice of driving companion when the sale happens. And she will fly me back to NY if I end up driving down with her. Now that's a deal I won't pass up if it comes my way.

I did the honorable thing - I shoveled the front steps, cleared off the open 6' utility trailer, and cleared off my poor snow smothered Honda.
It is still snowing!!!! :eek:
I would run our Ariens snowblower, and I certainly know how to...but my tendinitis and carpal tunnel do not respond well to the vibration and gripping needed to do a 90' double width driveway with turnaround.
So dh2b wins that lottery prize!
I'll console my conscience :rolleyes: and do some laundry. And make him a killer dinner. And....:D

Forecast today for Tucson, AZ: Sunny. Highs 69 to 74.We used to live in Connecticut - got so sick and tired of the winters, we moved here.
:'(

My Mom lived in Scottsdale for years. I spent 3 weeks in Tuscon for optical engineering training (w*rk) many years ago. Nice town!
Relocation to somewhere warm and sunny is in the long range plan.
dh2b has 10 years til he can retire, so we are here until he either
a) retires, or b) a juicy transfer with promotion pops up.
It just feels good to whine halfway through the winter.

I have a monster Ariens 10HP 28" blower and it sure gives me a workout! Much easier than shoveling, that is for sure. I can tell the next day that I used it, usually sore biceps/shoulders. But, it saves my back muscles, which shoveling destroys (being 6'6" has its disadvantages).

Isn't April halfway through the winter where you live :confused:

Where she lives, and also where I live (Wisconsin). Rich in Tampa will attest that Milwaukee gets no press, but winter is brutal here......:p

Where she lives, and also where I live (Wisconsin). Rich in Tampa will attest that Milwaukee gets no press, but winter is brutal here......:p
I define winter by first possible snowfall to last possible snowfall.
Now for me, that is November thru April. So end of January is the midpoint.
April here is very nice, but it still can snow.
Now, for snow that stays on the ground for more than a day, winter is more like mid December thru early March.
:D

I have a monster Ariens 10HP 28" blower and it sure gives me a workout! Much easier than shoveling, that is for sure. I can tell the next day that I used it, usually sore biceps/shoulders. But, it saves my back muscles, which shoveling destroys (being 6'6" has its disadvantages).

Since we are comparing the size of our blowers. . . .

Monster Honda 11HP 32"

YouTube - HONDA SNOWBLOWER

Back
Top Bottom