Join Early Retirement Today

Stop Tipping
Old 11-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stop Tipping

It's for suckers.

I confess, I previously tipped as high as 10%; but after reading this article, no more.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

Wow! A whole 10% you say?

Old 11-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #3

I'm in the US, and I'll continue tipping 20% unless the service is poor. They deserve every penny they get and work way harder than I EVER did.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Administrator

Another provocative thread title. This is about tipping in Canada, it doesn’t apply to the US.

US Census data shows that most restaurant servers and wait staff make less than the US median wage. If you don’t want to tip in a reastaurant then don’t eat out.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The video also encourages tipping the poor waiters in Canada’s diners; that makes no sense if everyone is making $11 an hour as he says. Why tip them?
Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #6

We tip 20% unless the server is rude. Here they get minimum wage. Most states they don’t.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
The video is about Canada,
If you watch it, they explain every worker makes a minimum of $11/hr.
In Ontario the minimum is $15 per hour.

Then you get the tips on top of that !!!

I knew a software engineer working at Mega corp in Canada (where they paid him time & half for working overtime), his wife was a waitress.
He told me she made more money than him as she got salary plus the tips.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #8

I think the OP knows this video is about Canada, whereas 70% (+?) of those of us seeing this title are in the US, and therefore would have stronger reactions.

Without tips, in the US, the hourly wage for wait staff is $2.13. Even with it, the average is less (in today's dollars) than most of us made in our first summer jobs.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #9

The US is similar to the video. I have a SCORE client who has a cfo/accounting business serving restaurants exclusively. According to her, servers at higher end restaurants can make $60K and typically make more than the restaurant manager. Back of the house, kitchen, it's more like $15/hour -- $30K. Life is not fair.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
The US is similar to the video. I have a SCORE client who has a cfo/accounting business serving restaurants exclusively. According to her, servers at higher end restaurants can make $60K and typically make more than the restaurant manager. Back of the house, kitchen, it's more like $15/hour -- $30K. Life is not fair.
Perhaps high tier restaurants in the US are similar to the video but certainly not your typical coffee shop, diner or family restaurant.

Additionally, even with the higher annual compensation skilled, personable servers might earn in high tier restaurants, high tier restaurants are having trouble attracting enough of them. Talented, hard working, friendly staff don't seem to want to work nights, weekends, holidays, etc. That would indicate that the pay isn't enough.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Not so sure on this figure as general managers @ Chili's makes quite a bit more than this...upwards of six figures when bonuses are included.

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Gene...at-Chili's
Old 11-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

And, if the restaurant manager is earning less than some of the servers who know how to do well with tips, the manager should return to being a server. Or, if never a server, learn how to be one and go hustle, hustle, hustle.......

Lots of managers make less than skilled employees reporting to them. I was in that situation for years with union printers (LPIU), machinists (IAM), electricians (IBEW) amnd die setters (USW) on my crew making far in excess of my meager wages.

(I won in the end though......... )
Old 11-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
It's for suckers.
I assume you say this because it's so easy to stiff the staff that you're missing a great opportunity for financial gain if you leave a nickle........
Old 11-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Milton;2149644]It's for suckers.

So you are against someone making a good living and if they can save and become rich, you are against that? At least these people are working for it and not siting on welfare.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of the reason I like eating in restaurants in Europe. The price is the price. No added: taxes, tips, etc.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We tip 20% unless the server is rude. Here they get minimum wage. Most states they don’t.
+1
Old 11-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
One of the reason I like eating in restaurants in Europe. The price is the price. No added: taxes, tips, etc.

Dollar for dollar, I find a comparable meal in the US to be a better value even with tipping and tax. Meals in Europe are quite expensive.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Another provocative thread title. This is about tipping in Canada, it doesn’t apply to the US.

US Census data shows that most restaurant servers and wait staff make less than the US median wage. If you don’t want to tip in a [US] restaurant then don’t eat out.
+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Without tips, in the US, the hourly wage for wait staff is $2.13. Even with it, the average is less (in today's dollars) than most of us made in our first summer jobs.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Don't believe I said anything about the US, did I?

There is more to the world, and this website, than the USA. I live in Canada and it should surprise no one that I am interested in what happens here.

Quote:
If you don’t want to tip in a reastaurant then don’t eat out.
That's one perspective. Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions. I would say that if you don't want to accept that tipping is strictly optional, then seek out some other line of work.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Dollar for dollar, I find a comparable meal in the US to be a better value even with tipping and tax. Meals in Europe are quite expensive.
Depends on where in Europe you are...Baltics - great food and very inexpensive also, I've had some great meals in France (considered expensive) as well as a 3 star Michelin meal and it has been cheaper than SF/LA or most northern east coast cities in US.

I also like that the tips are included in Europe - I tip 15% in the US. If the meal is exceptional in Europe I'll round up the amount to the next Euro or so.