Stopping All Web Site Animations

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Maybe it's me, but I don't like to have some distracting animation going on when I'm reading a news story on the web. I have of course turned off animations in Internet Explorer, and use "AdSubtract" also to prevent animations.

But the advertisers have apparently found ways around this.

Anyone have a solution that stops literally all animations in web pages?

Try this:

IE - Options/Advanced/Multimedia
uncheck 'play animations in web pages'

You can also check the source for advertisements and block them in your router.

Try this:

IE - Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Multimedia
uncheck 'play animations in web pages'

You can also check the source for advertisements and block them in your router.

Sorry, I was trying to edit/correct the original post and I got this one by accident.

Most web animations are done with macromedia's flash.   You can disable them with a sledge hammer by disabling activeX (tools, internet options, security, custom level, disable "run activeX controls and plug-ins").   Or google for various flash-specific blockers.

Understand that when you start disabling the animations, other functions such as playing some movies will cease too. Eventually you'll get to a place where email won't work because the temporary directory needed by active x is not there for your antivirus to work and you can't reinstall the antivirus because activex is needed for upgrading the software is disabled (somewhere). Or something similar.

T-Al,

Foxfire (Mozilla upgrade) has a deal whereby you can selectively enable certain features (Java, etc?) for a particular website--temporarily, only for that website, or more. When I go to a site that requires it, I just enable it temporarily or for that site only. I don't know if it will do what you need, but I have found it useful.

Firefox also has an extension called Flashblock, which, as the name implies, will block Flash movies from showing. Their place in the page is still held and you can see them by clicking on the empty box.

Also get Adblock for Firefox.

I've found a solution that works for most animations:

Have two files

Code:
1. DisableFlash.reg

Contains:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

2. EnableFlash.reg

Contains:

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}]

And use them to disable or enable Flash animations, respectively.

I also put MSNBC (& MSN.COM) in the restricted sites list. Now I can view news without animated ads or the scrolling ticker.

Back
Top Bottom