Storage systems for a pantry

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Perhaps some people here have put up some shelving lately. :)

I am redoing an area that is the pantry and extra storage area for the kitchen. I want to install some shelving/wall storage, with adjustable shelves for storing canned food, boxes, kitchen appliances that are not used very often, and bigger items like the turkey roasting pan.

The shelving should be easy to install, have a clean look, and be durable and easily adjusted. It would be nice if it had things like basket drawers that can be pulled out.

It is not easily seen in the main part of the house, so I don't need anything fancy like solid walnut shelves, etc.

I would appreciate any recommendations on shelving systems you have used.

In our pantry we used coated wire shelving that we purchased from Lowe's. Rubbermaid I think. It has a nice clean look that we like. Easy to work with and an easy DIY project.

In our pantry we used coated wire shelving that we purchased from Lowe's. Rubbermaid I think. It has a nice clean look that we like. Easy to work with and an easy DIY project.
+1 on the wire shelves. They also make drawers and other specialty accessories. They are easy to install and look OK.

For extra canned goods I got for inside the pantry door a hanging coated wire shelf unit (it has six basket-shelves). I think it was originally for holding VCR tapes (remember those things). They still might make something like it. I bought mine at Wal-Mart.

FamilyHandyman.com has some interesting ideas. You could probably also find some ideas on Pinterest.

We put in the Elfa shelves, they are very sturdy and take a lot of weight. DD installed similar units from Home Depot, I think they are functionally equivalent.

One issue I have is some items do not sit or stack well on wire shelves.

Chuckanut,
Sorry I am late to this party!
I'm not sure what type of pantry you've got, but if it is one of those deeper ones, consider some nice full-extension slideout baskets. They work very well and make everything much more accessable (no more 5 year old boxes of cereal lost at the back). I installed some Knape & Vogt units and the quality was really good. They also make narrow baskets to fit on a door bracket if you need those. Menards stocks them, and can order them-and they are having an 11% off sale right now.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks, samclem. I don't have much room for large shelves. The space is actually under a staircase. So, some of it will be reachable only by children or adults on their knees.

MichaelB - I read where some simple pegboard on top of the wire shelves solves that problem.

The house that I made an offer on this winter, but didn't get, had a dream kitchen. The pantry had the most beautiful, sturdy, well balanced, and easy-sliding, slide out maple shelves. (sigh!) They slid so easily and smoothly, with just one touch of a finger. The Lazy Susan in the corner came out too and was simply amazing. What perfect pantry, a dream come true.

This post isn't adding to the discussion but I just HAD to mention it because that kitchen was so outrageously perfect it would make your heart ache. :ROFLMAO:

I wonder - - would shelves underneath a staircase be easier to reach if they would slide out like that? Maybe.

We have several closets, including a pantry, where we put in what is now apparently called the Elfa system. It used to be called Freedom Rail back when we bought it from the Container Store.

Very flexible, easy to install, and sturdy. We would do it again without question.

I put up the coated wire shelves in a closet under my stairway. As to sliding shelves, I have only built my own so far, but I remember seeing a place online that sold the shelves and hardware to DIY'ers. A friend of mine had California Closets do a closet and they like it

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

I wonder - - would shelves underneath a staircase be easier to reach if they would slide out like that? Maybe.

The last third of the space has a very low ceiling. I am thinking slide out shelves would still allow a adult to stand (bent over somewhat) and have access to the items on the shelves. This would avoid have to go down on one's knees.

Another idea to try is...watch the TV show "Tiny House Nation" on the FYI channel. Even if you don't plan to move into a house of <500SF, it illustrates fantastic ideas about storage and space saving design and construction techniques; including under-stair storage and cabinet slide-outs. I think you can also watch some episodes on-line.

Tiny House Nation - Episodes, Video & Schedule - FYI Network

Last edited:
Our new house came with the wire pantry shelves, but we found storing certain items did not work well due to the lack on a solid surface. So I bought a sheet of 1/8 inch masonite (cheap) and added a cover. DW covered them with some of that shelf liner and the problem was solved. Looks good too.

We put in the Elfa shelves, they are very sturdy and take a lot of weight. DD installed similar units from Home Depot, I think they are functionally equivalent.

One issue I have is some items do not sit or stack well on wire shelves.

Michael, You can buy plastic placements or plastic sheet cutting boards at dollar stores and put on the wire to hold items that don't sit well on wire. Even thin cardboard would work but the plastic lasts longer and can be cleaned.

Thanks, samclem. I don't have much room for large shelves. The space is actually under a staircase. So, some of it will be reachable only by children or adults on their knees.

Chuckanut, Ikea has "drawer units" in their office furniture that can be used in the lower areas under the steps. They are on wheels so you can roll them out. I use the thin all drawer units for storing different types of paper, have another that's a file cabinet on wheels and put one of my printers on top, and another with a couple of drawers for storing wire and sheet metal for my metal working. All of these roll under desks or workbenches to get them out of the way. Some units are low enough to fit under your stair case. If you are handy, you could put castors on small shelving so you could roll out. I have a small metal cart that I bought at Ikea that's about 30" tall that fits into a narrow but deep bathroom closet. All my cleaning supplies fit on this cart.......think it's a kitchen cart from Ikea.

Michael, You can buy plastic placements or plastic sheet cutting boards at dollar stores and put on the wire to hold items that don't sit well on wire. Even thin cardboard would work but the plastic lasts longer and can be cleaned.
I should try that, though it means I need to reorganize the shelves a bit and lately I'm being lazy. :)

We are very happy with the Elfa system we bought. The components we got for 1/2 off, and we had a basement / kitchen remodeling underway, so this installation was part of that project and the additional cost was not significant. Usable storage space increased significantly.

The wire shelves that we used the wires were pretty close, about 1/2" as i recall, and they have worked well for us for most pantry items.

The issue that we have is that our pantry is deep and narrow, abut 4' wide and 8' deep and we have 16" shelves at the end. and hang stuff (clothing, brooms, etc.) on the side walls. It works ok, but I have been thinking about how to get more functional storage buy perhaps building a floor to ceiling lazy susan that is the width of the pantry at the end, or perhaps some ferris wheel type of storage (AutoPantry being and example).

The issue that we have is that our pantry is deep and narrow, abut 4' wide and 8' deep and we have 16" shelves at the end.

That's a tough one. I'd probably go with a set of 12" shelves on one wall (floor to ceiling) and 8" shelves on the opposite one. That leaves a 28" wide aisle (only a little narrower than the door). Hanging stuff goes on the back wall. Cheap, flexible, lots of storage (put a kick/step stool in there), nothing mechanical to break. The narrow shelves are great for being able to see everything at a glance and actually reach it. I'd put a good light in there, too.

Our particular challenge is that two of our bedrooms have closets that are almost square--about 3-4' deep and 3-4' wide. They are much less useful than the normal 24" deep x 6-8' wide ones.

That's a tough one. I'd probably go with a set of 12" shelves on one wall (floor to ceiling) and 8" shelves on the opposite one. That leaves a 28" wide aisle (only a little narrower than the door). Hanging stuff goes on the back wall. Cheap, flexible, lots of storage (put a kick/step stool in there), nothing mechanical to break. The narrow shelves are great for being able to see everything at a glance and actually reach it. I'd put a good light in there, too.

Our particular challenge is that two of our bedrooms have closets that are almost square--about 3-4' deep and 3-4' wide. They are much less useful than the normal 24" deep x 6-8' wide ones.

I was thinking the same solution for pb4uski's closet. Sometimes the shelving is so deep you don't have easy access.

You can always have a 2 tier rod on one side for hanging shirts and other similar length items. The other side is just the 1 rod for hanging long items like full length coats or long dresses.

The wire shelves that we used the wires were pretty close, about 1/2" as i recall, and they have worked well for us for most pantry items.

The issue that we have is that our pantry is deep and narrow, abut 4' wide and 8' deep and we have 16" shelves at the end. and hang stuff (clothing, brooms, etc.) on the side walls. It works ok, but I have been thinking about how to get more functional storage buy perhaps building a floor to ceiling lazy susan that is the width of the pantry at the end, or perhaps some ferris wheel type of storage (AutoPantry being and example).

Is there enough room to roll a cart out into the room/hall? How wide is the door, or is it a full 4' width opening?

You could pick from these:

Chrome Wire Shelving, Chrome Wire Storage in Stock - ULINE

and have maybe an 18" wide shelf/cart on wheels, with a 24" one next to it, as deep as you wish, and just roll them out to access everything. There would be almost no wasted space.

They come 3, 4, 5, and 6 feet 'wide' (this would be 'depth' for you), so you could leave a couple feet at the end for your current shelves, or stuff you rarely access. Or use two to four shorter/narrower ones in combination if that would make it easier to maneuver.

If you have a near full width entry, and the room to roll it out, this single
72 x 36 x 72" would only be ~ $450 with casters, and you are done!

-ERD50

The last third of the space has a very low ceiling. I am thinking slide out shelves would still allow a adult to stand (bent over somewhat) and have access to the items on the shelves. This would avoid have to go down on one's knees.
I have slide out shelves in every single lower cabinet and the ceiling to floor pantry unit in my kitchen. What a blessing to not have to fight the front line stuff to find stuff stored in the back.
Slide outs have MY vote. :dance:

I have slide out shelves in every single lower cabinet and the ceiling to floor pantry unit in my kitchen. What a blessing to not have to fight the front line stuff to find stuff stored in the back.
Slide outs have MY vote. :dance:
Yep, I hate the normal lower cabinet/shelf setups in kitchens, so I decided not to have them when we re-did our kitchen. The only place we have lower doors is under the sink, everywhere else is drawers. They are a huge improvement. I like them a little more than slide-outs because things are easier to get to (one motion vs open the door and then pull out the slider) and no chance of marring up the inside of the doors with the slide-outs. But either setup is much better than those cavernous, dark lower shelves.

Back
Top Bottom