Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW goes to a hairdresser about once a week and often comes home with stories of what we think is downright strange financial behavior. The hairdresser lives with her hubby in a mobile home (dunno if single or doublewide) and had complained last winter of getting $600-$700/month electric bills for the heat pump. That seems a tad high to me (is there a hole in the roof?) even given that mobile homes tend to skimp on insulation so as to increase interior space. So anyway, last spring they found a wood stove at auction and installed that. Good thing too, since now the heat pump has died entirely.
Wow! DW goes only a few times a year, but the bill is sobering. I tag along for a quick trim. Most of the time, I look like a hippie musician since I really "should" go every 6 weeks or so.

DW's hairdresser lives in a nice McMansion. Maybe if she lived in a junky trailer, then DW and I could also afford to go every week or two!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My hairdresser told me this crazy unbelievable tale about saving up $1MM+ then leaving his engineering career at age 33. What a loser.
Funny that you mentioned this...

DW's hair dresser probably tells this tale of some loser saving some $$ and leaving his engineering career in his 40's to live a life of leisure. Actually, this guy would probably be very jealous of your guy, since he was late to the party by more than a decade!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Wow! DW goes only a few times a year, but the bill is sobering. I tag along for a quick trim. Most of the time, I look like a hippie musician since I really "should" go every 6 weeks or so.
I have no idea what she pays, but she is generally as value-oriented (i.e., cheap) as I am and is frugal almost everywhere else so it's one of those things I just don't think about. Everyone has their splurges, I suppose this is one of hers.

If she didn't go she would be most unhappy and as every guy knows who has been married for more than 20 minutes that is never a good thing.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

My DW says her trips to the hair and nail salons are because she is doing it to be more attractive to me. How can a guy argue with that?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have no idea what she pays, but she is generally as value-oriented (i.e., cheap) as I am and is frugal almost everywhere else so it's one of those things I just don't think about. Everyone has their splurges, I suppose this is one of hers.

If she didn't go she would be most unhappy and as every guy knows who has been married for more than 20 minutes that is never a good thing.
I wonder if she is getting a weekly manicure, not actually having her hair done that often? Mani pedis are a small extravagance for lots of women.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I wonder if she is getting a weekly manicure, not actually having her hair done that often? Mani pedis are a small extravagance for lots of women.
Some of my golfing friends seem to have a new artistic design on their nails every week! It amuses me to look at them, but having regular manicures doesn’t appeal to me in the least. As for pedicures, I’m way too ticklish! I bought a foot spa about 20 years ago and haven’t had a pedicure since.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

It’s so much cheaper being a guy...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never heard of Crea Clip, looks interesting on Amazon. I have medium length layered hair.......mmmmm
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #49

Being an introvert, I hate the 3x a year that I get highlights which take about 3 hours. I love my hair stylist, but that's a lot of time spent talking to someone. I always try and think of questions to prompt her to talk for a long time, so I don't have to keep talking. Last time, I asked her what were the craziest experiences and customers she's had. Well, she spent nearly the whole time telling me about the funniest things! We were both laughing so much, she could hardly do my hair. I can't believe all the crazy stories.

The one I loved most was a customer who wanted a slight change to her hairstyle and so the hairdresser did the changes and thought it looked nice. The next day, the lady came back with terrible thick, uneven bangs cut, which had not been there when she left the day before. She wanted the hairdresser to fix her hair free, because she blamed the bangs on the hairdresser! She said they showed up after she slept on the new style overnight. [emoji23]
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I cut my own hair for a little while, because there's so little and it seems like a waste of money. But it's not easy to get the back straight, the neck shaved, and around the ears done right. I also don't like dealing with the cleanup, and if I'm not careful I get it down my shirt and I'm itchy until I give up and change it. And I just like the feeling of getting my hair cut and neck shaved with a blade.
Apparently there's a place down in the valley for all the local gossip but I haven't tried it yet since it seems more hairdresser than barber shop. I like a place in the nearby town, 3 ladies, and now a guy, in an old fashioned barber shop type setup. Best place I went to was when I lived near Austin, the guy had clippers with a little vacuum attached, so little or no loose hair. Plus it was an easy walk from my house.

I can't think of any good stories. Worst experience I had is when I went to a new place, a single chair place, and I think the 2nd time the woman's young son (~8) was there, had been sick so missed school. By afternoon he was feeling better and very restless, and wanted her to shut down early so they could go home. He kept turning the open sign over to closed and just being an annoying brat who didn't listen to anything she told him to do. I never went back. It didn't stay open too long.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #51

Had my first professional mani/pedi 1 1/2 ago for DS wedding. Very pretty, but was instructed to get a gel polish, and my nails peeled horribly afterwards.

Also, had my hair and makeup done professionally for the wedding (something very different for me). Apparently (from some rather shocked compliments of family members) made a huge difference.

Lest I give off the false impression that I spend no money on my appearance, that would not be exactly true. What I save on salon visits, I spend on skin care.
MarieIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I get my hair cut and colored every 3 months and it's not cheap but none of my hairdressers have ever had a lot of $. I know when a recession hits they really lose their customers. I get a manicure and pedicure twice a year right before we go on vacation.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #53

Quote:

Words of wisdom. And truly a small price to pay. My DW values her appearance and it surely offsets my deficiencies.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I cut my own hair now. At my age, a professional (expensive) cut is not going to turn female heads anyway.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #55

I'm glad you posted that update Walt, I was thinking about this thread earlier and wondering if we had inadvertently blown your wife's gig with the "that's frequent!" comments.

Experiences > Things, and an experience that she enjoys which is probably part self-care, part socialization, is worth whatever she chooses to pay.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I hate messing with my hair, and getting haircuts and such. When I do get a haircut, I have it done at Supercuts with the senior discount, and I get it cut pretty short so that it will last. Usually it lasts about six months before I simply cannot stand it another minute.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote