Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I do not think the average Joe is taking these precautions though and actually they are going even more digital with paying for items via cell phone. My wife works at a software firm with people making big bucks who do financial transactions on their phone. A significant number of them use 1111 for their phone password and their other four digit codes because it is easy to remember. These are people making $250k+ a year in the software industry where they should know better!
Fermion - this is true with many situations, like in saving for retirement. The average Joe is usually very slow to come to terms with issues like this.

The recent tax fraud and Anthem hack made a lot of noise at first, even congressional hearings (on the IRS and state tax fraud). But like many media stories they quickly fade. And many people forget.

All each of us can do is take the actions we can to protect ourselves. If others aren't motivated to protect themselves, well there isn't much we can do.

Robert Cringely made an interesting prediction at the beginning of this year about 2015 being the year of security breaches. My husband told me in Jan, and lo and behold the shoes started dropping everywhere shortly thereafter!

The Anthem breach is enormous. It affects 25% of the US population. It is truly mind boggling, and yet it does seemed to have dropped off the radar very quickly. I don't think it will stay off the radar - too many folks are impacted.
Quote:
Prediction #1 ó Everyone gets the crap scared out of them by data security problems. In many ways this was set up by 2014, a year when, between Edward Snowden and Target, America woke up to the dangers of lax data security. Where this year is somewhat different, I feel, is in the implications of these threats and how they play out. There will still be data breaches and, though there will be proposals how to retool to avoid such problems in future, I donít see those turning into anything real before 2016. So 2015 will be the year when people claim to fix your problem but really canít. Watch out for those crooks.

2015 will also be the year when the bad guys start to see their own profit squeeze and respond by doing exactly the things we hope they wonít. To this point, you see, the folks who steal all this information have been generally wholesaling the data to other bad guys who use the data to steal our identities and money. Only the buyers arenít really that good at stealing our stuff so the wholesale value of a million credit card numbers has dropped significantly. So rather than finding new careers like my own favorite, opening a frozen custard stand, the guys who stole our numbers in the first place are starting to cut out the middle men and going after our stuff themselves. Given these are the really smart bad guys taking over from the not-so-smart bad guys, expect things to get bad, very bad, with billions ó billions ó in additional losses for financial institutions, retailers, and even some of us. These are the events that will finally lead ó in 2016 ó to real data security improvements.
I, Cringely 2015 Predictions: It's about the money, stupid! - I, Cringely

He sees this as making the rest of us finally wake up and fix some things and real improvements. So maybe there is some hope? We shall see.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Every time I see the PW "restrictions" (e.g. PW must be 4-8 characters and contain a captiol and number .... blah, blah) - I think "great, they just told the hackers exactly what to test for and ELIMINATED BILLIONS of other possibilities ".

Old 03-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Every time I see the PW "restrictions" (e.g. PW must be 4-8 characters and contain a captiol and number .... blah, blah) - I think "great, they just told the hackers exactly what to test for and ELIMINATED BILLIONS of other possibilities ".
+1000

I recently had one not accept my password because it had three of the same char in a row. So I removed one of them, and it took it!

PS - this was not a site I had big security concerns with, just a subscription thing or something. For those, I use a common easy pw - who would try to hack it? Just enough to meet the common requirement - some numbers, some upper, some lower case.

-ERD50
Old 03-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
One thing that helped the Brits break the Enigma machine and helped 'simplify' Turing's decoding machine was the fact that no letter could encrypt to itself. An 'a' could never be encrypted to an 'a', a 'b' could never encrypt to a 'b', and so on. That removed a huge number of possible outcomes.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
One thing that helped the Brits break the Enigma machine...
It was the Poles (Marian Rejewski, Jerzy Růżycki and Henryk Zygalski) who "broke" it initially back in 1932. The Brits built on the good work of the Poles.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Storm coming and nobody is worried.

Very true the Poles did break the first Enigma machines. Which, by the way, were built by a private company for use by business. They were improved to the point where new ways were needed to break the codes. All in all its a fascinating story.

Anyway the point is still valid that the more one knows about the 'rules', the easier it is to break the codes.

Below is a tweet that leads to Steve Gibsons discussion of Enigma.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sggrc/sta...02847927615488
Old 03-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I was subject to the Premera hacking, and I (and a bunch of my coworkers) are hopping mad. Same two year do-nothing credit watch plan, after which the crooks will go to town.

I used to work in computer security, as well as general compliance, this stuff isn't rocket science if you design things well and take basic precautions. For some of these I suspect an insider (think of how much an employee would make by selling PII), and there is no way any firm would want to admit that since it would freak out the nation and people with access to sensitive data would start needing to pass background checks like they should.