Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Actually they got married a year later. Go Figure.
Do you take this woman to be your...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually they got married a year later. Go Figure.
He solved his problem. Thenceforth he could introduce her as "Mrs. Seismologist."As long as the dude can remember his surname, no more embarrassment for either of them.

Ha

Old 03-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On and off I w*rked with this fellow for over 10 years. Never did figure out who had who by the short hairs. But then again it was very low priority. There were far too numerous amusing things to observe. There were over fifty Phds of various stripes and things they professed to, and way too many grad students and post grads by the truckload. Funny stuff happend many times a day.

One time in the cafeteria at long table the discussion was about woodstove efficiency. I bragged about my Jotul stove I had then, saying it will burn anything with energy in it.

A recent smart ass Phd intoned: quarks have energy. I instantly replied: give me one, I''ll burn it. For those not up to speed on particle physics:
From Wikipedia
Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found only within hadrons, such as baryons (of which protons and neutrons are examples), and mesons.[2][3]

A long round of laughter ensued. The loudest were the Physicists.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #24

Quote:
+1

I have worked with a dozen or so.

Funny story about one senior seismologist. A new director of Lamont Geological Observatory arrived, at a social reception the seismologist could not remember his girlfriend of 15 year's name, stumbling, he introduced her as The Woman. .
Slightly off topic but funny. My grandparents were married 53 years. Around year 51, they were watching TV and someone was on who had blue eyes.

Grampy said "I can't stand people with blue eyes!"
Grammy said: "I have blued eyes!!"
"You do?! Let me see...."
Old 03-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
He solved his problem. Thenceforth he could introduce her as "Mrs. Seismologist."As long as the dude can remember his surname, no more embarrassment for either of them.

Ha
Not if they lived in Quebec.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I don't understand. Can you give me the background?

Ha
Old 03-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I have been serving at a local homeless shelter for 5+ years and am often saddened by what I see and hear on a regular basis. I can not understand what they are going through. I can often only listen to their story and offer my meager advice...and pray for them.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't understand. Can you give me the background?

Ha
It's illegal.

What's in a name? No sharing in Quebec
Old 03-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Back at the last sawmill(late 70s) we had a bunch of homeless guys do temporary general labor. Some were on my crew, they just stacked lumber I'd inspected so there was time to talk.

Interesting guys some definitely mentally ill, some others homeless by choice, some kinda like that guy, no PHDs, but stuff happens. Sometimes people get knocked down and don't get back up. Sure maybe they should have seen it coming but I didn't walk in their shoes. Hope I never do.

The ones that ran away to be homeless interested me probably as the thought was foreign to my way of thinking. They seemed to know the rules of each shelter and try to stay where they least minded the obligations. I recall one man, Cliff, probably the most relaxed guy I'd ever met. Wasn't lazy he worked hard, he ran away from a bad marriage. Least that was his story.

I'd seen one guy actually get his crap together got hired full time at the mill and get his own place started a new life. It's not easy when you don't have an address or transport to get hired.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #30

Quote:
It's illegal.
Despite being canadian, I've never heard of this before. I'lll file this in my head with all the other weird laws in quebec.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #31

Quote:
If GF had any self respect, I'm sure they didn't make it to year 16.
Why would you say this? Because they are not married according to the Governments definition?

That quote is actually self-demeaning for women. As if they cannot exist in a relationship without being married.

A true equal rights advocate would be proud her staying independent.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #32

Quote:
According to the article, a woman married in Quebec can't take her husband's name even if she wants to. The article also states that this law was enacted to further equality between men and women (by taking away a woman's right to decide on her married name) The article doesn't say whether a man can take his wife's name.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Thread drift
Old 03-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Why would you say this? Because they are not married according to the Governments definition?

That quote is actually self-demeaning for women. As if they cannot exist in a relationship without being married.

A true equal rights advocate would be proud her staying independent.
You completely misunderstood me. As a feminist, I would have little respect for anyone who disrespected and forgot my name, unless of course he had dementia. Being labeled as "the woman" would be my exit ticket from that relationship. I refuse to be any man's chattel. I am a self sufficient single woman. I am damn proud of my name, and even if I were to marry, I would keep it.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
According to the article, a woman married in Quebec can't take her husband's name even if she wants to. The article also states that this law was enacted to further equality between men and women (by taking away a woman's right to decide on her married name) The article doesn't say whether a man can take his wife's name.
If I ever get married a gain, I'll call myself Mr. Certified Insane.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The article doesn't say whether a man can take his wife's name.
I used to w*rk with a guy who took his wife's name when they married. He just liked hers better than his original name. He said the authorities didn't even blink when he brought it up, so it must be at least somewhat common.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I ever get married a gain, I'll call myself Mr. Certified Insane.

Haha, I think we are all aware of your distaste for marriage. Once bitten, twice shy, eh? 😜

Statistics show that marriage, on a population basis, is good for men and bad for women. I have never been able to understand why so many people feel obligated to do it.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by manerac View Post
"Laziness" is to "mental illness" as "obesity" is to "health problem", and they have the same cure.
Quote:
Quote:
According to the article, a woman married in Quebec can't take her husband's name even if she wants to....
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Thread drift
Yes, maybe we should get back to discussing the cure for laziness, mental illness, obesity and health problem(s).
Old 03-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Statistics show that marriage, on a population basis, is good for men and bad for women. I have never been able to understand why so many people feel obligated to do it.
If men, perhaps they are misogynists?

Actually, regarding my own marriage, I think my wife was at least as good as I was. (Possibly faint praise!) My issue is just that one gives up a lot of autonomy in exchange for dubious benefits.

Ha
Old 03-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think anybody can change names on marriage in Quebec. It's a relic of the French Code Civil. You can change your name, but it has to be a separate procedure.

However, German husbands have been able to adopt their wife's last name on marriage since 1977.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid..._married_names

In royal families, male consorts often adopt their wife's last name. Examples include Prince Philip (UK) who became a Windsor, and Prince Daniel (Sweden) who became a Bernadotte.