Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
...at a social reception the seismologist could not remember his girlfriend of 15 year's name...
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Slightly off topic but funny. My grandparents were married 53 years. Around year 51, they were watching TV and someone was on who had blue eyes.

Grampy said "I can't stand people with blue eyes!"
Grammy said: "I have blued eyes!!"
"You do?! Let me see...."
Is the sound of distant drumming just the fingers of your hand?
Pictures hanging in a hallway and the fragment of a song
Half remembered names and faces, but to whom do they belong?
When you knew that it was over in the autumn of good-byes
For a moment you could not recall the color of his eyes!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Is the sound of distant drumming just the fingers of your hand?
Pictures hanging in a hallway and the fragment of a song
Half remembered names and faces, but to whom do they belong?
When you knew that it was over in the autumn of good-byes
For a moment you could not recall the color of his eyes!

Beautiful song NW, from an excellent Steve McQueen/Faye Dunaway movie, the Thomas Crown Affair.

Ha

Old 03-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Yes, this song is my favorite, and I used it in the OP of a thread that I started about songs in movies: Favorite Movie Music.

This song by Michel Legrand earned an Academy Award for Best Original Song in the mentioned 1968 movie. In the remake of the movie in 1999, starring Pierce Brosnan as Thomas Crown, Sting performed this song.

PS. Michel Legrand was first known for the theme song in the 1964 movie "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" that also brought Catherine Deneuve to fame. Another well-known song of his is "The Summer Knows" in the 1971 movie "Summer of 42".
Old 03-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, this song is my favorite, and I used it in the OP of a thread that I started about songs in movies: Favorite Movie Music.

This song by Michel Legrand earned an Academy Award for Best Original Song in the mentioned 1968 movie. In the remake of the movie in 1999, starring Pierce Brosnan as Thomas Crown, Sting performed this song.

PS. Michel Legrand was first known for the theme song in the 1964 movie "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" that also brought Catherine Deneuve to fame. Another well-known song of his is "The Summer Knows" in the 1971 movie "Summer of 42".
I saw both these movies first release. Umbrellas of Cherbourg must be the most romantic movie in history. One of the first flat out jazz records that I bought while I was living in Boston was called "Legrand Jazz". Excellent Miles Davis cuts among others.

I think that Steve and Faye could give pretty good kissing lessons too.

Ha
Old 03-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I was at a museum related to the place I used to work. It is quite common for some of the tour guides to be retirees. I was talking to one of them about people and life in general. He related the following to me.

'Most of the employees at the museum are grad students from the local university. They are all history majors. One of the full time tour guides has a PhD in history, and used to teach at one of the major state universities. But his student reviews consistently said that the students could not hear him when he lectured, and he refused to use a microphone. It became contentious with the head of the department, and this person hardened his position that he would not wear a microphone because he did not want to, and that it was a matter of academic freedom. Several years later, he was forced out of the university. He was not able to get in at any other universities. So now he gives tours at the museum. Near minimum wage.

And he wears a microphone.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mental illness is not a blanket pass to excuse any and all behaviour. Those with mental illnesses are not powerless to improve their situations, and (in my opinion) still bear at least some responsibility for their circumstances.

And the article doesn't say anything at all about mental illness - it's being implied by readers here.