Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Tomcat98,

I'm not familiar with Net 10, but as my Sprint contract is up in a few weeks, I'm in 'shop around mode'. I've had their 450 minutes/month plan and usually run pretty close to that (plus I've been using MANY more minutes on nights and weekends, when they are 'free').

How has your service been with Net 10 (coverage areas, dropped calls, static-y lines, etc)?

omni
With Net 10 you can identify what type of service carrier you want based on the zipcode you enter when you purchase. Check out Fatwallet.com and do a search for the latest Net10 thread. I just purchased another Refurb phone with $25 30 day 700 min card for $21.38 after discount code 44777 and since I went thru my fatwallet account I got another 15% off so my cost is $18.38 for 750 min 30 days.

My mom is trying the service out and we got her the 300min 60 day option. When she activated it she actually has 120 days and 310 min. She is keeping her sprint for now as an overlap til she can try the phone in different scenarios for dropped calls to see if it is going to fit her needs. I did the same thing for about 3 months.

My Net10 phone is AT&T backbone. I have also used their Tmobile version. For where I am at never an issue.

Their customer service lacks but once you are up and running you don't have to talk to them. I do everything online. I use a google voice number so as I am trying different phones with them my number does not change for my friends. I have cut my phone bill by 75%.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

T-Mobile sounds pretty good to us since we don't use the phone much. ANyone know how their "free roaming" works? We plan to do some traveling and T-Mobile's coverage is not as good as Verizon's. Does the phone just pick up Verizon's signal in those places?

Also, anyone recommend a phone that works with their pre-paid plan? WE just want a decent phone (voice) and maybe a camera built in (nice to have if you have an accident).

THanks!
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #43

Can't answer your question about roaming because it depends on where you are in the country. I have travelled much of the northwest without a problem.

The T-Mobile site will show you which phones work with their pre-pay plans. They have 2-3 with your requirements.

-- Rita
Old 03-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a T-Mobile monthly pay without a contract. It works well for my needs, and here T-Mobile has excellent coverage. I previously had ATT. In live right in the city, but nevertheless I had many dropped calls just walking along. In particular, if I entered Trader Joe, I lost contact within 10 feet of the door. With T-Mobile I have not had one dropped call at TJ's, and almost none anywhere else.

Ha
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
T-Mobile sounds pretty good to us since we don't use the phone much. ANyone know how their "free roaming" works? We plan to do some traveling and T-Mobile's coverage is not as good as Verizon's. Does the phone just pick up Verizon's signal in those places?

Also, anyone recommend a phone that works with their pre-paid plan? WE just want a decent phone (voice) and maybe a camera built in (nice to have if you have an accident).

THanks!
For what its worth, I use the Common cents plan I got at walmart. It is run by Sprint. Its 7 cents a minute and rounds down not up on your minute usage. I've used it in Missouri, Nevada, Minnesota, and Virgin Islands and it worked fine everywhere I went. I just bought the cheap $9 phone and it works fine for me. Its little and I dont like big phones. I still keep my landline for local calls and make my friends call back on my landline with their cell phone!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

THanks Ha Ha and gotadimple for your comments on T-Mobile. We are planning to go to the PNW so it helps to know T-Mobile will work there because that is one of the places it looked a little sparse.

Mulligan, I never heard of Common Cents before. I was already to sign up with T-Mobile but it looks like CC might be a better deal. It's coverage though looks like its even less than TM. Do you know if you were out of their stated coverage range and it worked? Also, which plan did you get?

It sounds like you have to add minutes every 30 days unless you get the $150 plan or am I reading it wrong? THanks!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
THanks Ha Ha and gotadimple for your comments on T-Mobile. We are planning to go to the PNW so it helps to know T-Mobile will work there because that is one of the places it looked a little sparse.

Mulligan, I never heard of Common Cents before. I was already to sign up with T-Mobile but it looks like CC might be a better deal. It's coverage though looks like its even less than TM. Do you know if you were out of their stated coverage range and it worked? Also, which plan did you get?

It sounds like you have to add minutes every 30 days unless you get the $150 plan or am I reading it wrong? THanks!
To be honest with you, I saw their coverage map and was concerned because Sprint tends to focus on metro areas and the roads linking them, but it has always worked for me and I am on the outer edge of it Stl metro area. I really did it knowing I had little invested in it, a $9 phone and $20 card, but I've had it a year. I usually get the $30 60 day card. I buy it at walmart though you can can buy it directly off your phone or computer. Your minutes are rolled over but you do have to keep buying unless you do the $150 thing. I tend to almost run out every 60 days so it works for me. If you are a texter though, it wouldnt be a good plan as every text in and out is 7 cents. Its cheaper to talk on it than text. Iwas surprised it worked in St John on USVI. There is no roaming charges. If I wasnt going to have a local phone, I wouldnt have this plan though.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Thanks guys. I need to get serious about changing over. Does anyone have a certain type of Tracfone that they really like? I would like one that keeps a good charge. My DH will probably want one that looks good, has camera, caller id, etc. Neither of us text or do anything other than talk. Our first cell phones were Nokia and we liked them. We now have Motorola and our phones do not hold the charge for near as long as the Nokia. I would like to get a phone that has the double minutes for life.
I am quite happy with the LG220C

I've never even run low on the battery. This phone went through the laundry, and still worked.

Last I checked, we spend <$10 per month on cell phones.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I am quite happy with the LG220C

I've never even run low on the battery. This phone went through the laundry, and still worked.

Did it go through the dryer too? If not, how did you dry it?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Did it go through the dryer too? If not, how did you dry it?

omni
Wash only. Put it on dehumidifier output for several days.

The battery never quite the same after that.

Full story here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...red-51533.html
Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
. If I wasnt going to have a local phone, I wouldnt have this plan though.
We just want the cell phone for emergencies, etc. but I'm curious, why wouldn't you use this for your "only" phone?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We just want the cell phone for emergencies, etc. but I'm curious, why wouldn't you use this for your "only" phone?
At seven cents a minute the costs would rack up pretty quick if you talked all the time and it was your only phone source. My GF talks to me probably 20 min. a day, alone so we use the local land line. I got most friends trained to call me on my land line, not my cell, so I just use the cell when I'm on the go or want to call someone long distance myself.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, that makes sense. I thought maybe the reception wasn't that great. WE try to use our cell phones as little as possible or with a head set. BOth DH's sisters have had brain tumors. We are kinda paranoid it's might from their cell phone usage.