Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think the cougars would be much more intimidated if you carried it out in the open. (And yes, I'm talking about a handgun...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
DW would not be pleased, so that is right out.
I'm still trying to figure out if we're discussing felines or female humans...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yep. One of the many reasons I dislike going shopping with DW is the perverse pleasure she gets from calling me on my cell phone in the dept store so she can ask, "Are you in women's underwear?"
What is your answer?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
What is your answer?
The same as when someone asks me, "Are you still beating your wife?"

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The same as when someone asks me, "Are you still beating your wife?"
Is it her underwear.... oh, never mind....
Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #25

Interesting conversation in light of my most recent podcast listen from the grand folks at Freakonomics, called Where did all the hitch-hikers go?
It identifies well with this concept of stranger danger and how even though the number of people harmed by being hitchhikers or picking up hitchhikers was few, it was magnified by the fear we have of strangers.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Remember kids, don't take geocaches from strangers!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Nuiloa;1120241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I
I said something to one of the kids and he responded back... a couple of the others made a few remarks... then one of them said loudly to the others "STANGER DANGER"... I was a bit surprised at this and some responded to it by not talking... I told the others that I guess he was right and stopped talking to them.... QUOTE]

But that's the sad part. You felt the need to stop talking to them. Don't you find that a bit sad?

A bit, but I was enjoying the quiet prior to them coming so I really wanted them to go....
Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Exactly how geezer guys feel when they're cutting through the department store at the mega-mall looking for the door where they came in from the parking lot and suddenly find themselves walking though the lingerie department........
I saunter through the lingerie department all the time, it is kind of a habit.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a geocache near our home and I visit it occasionally when I'm out walking. I was surprised to find a picture of that cache on the website with an old guy standing naked in front of it. Of course his privates were blurred, but I guess he makes a habit of taking nude pictures at caches in the area. Kind of creepy, but we're out in the middle of nowhere and I'd be lying if I said DW and I have never shed our clothes when wandering around the hills.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
We have a geocache near our home and I visit it occasionally when I'm out walking. I was surprised to find a picture of that cache on the website with an old guy standing naked in front of it. Of course his privates were blurred, but I guess he makes a habit of taking nude pictures at caches in the area. Kind of creepy, but we're out in the middle of nowhere and I'd be lying if I said DW and I have never shed our clothes when wandering around the hills.

So those stories about Sasquatch are true?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Of course his privates were blurred,
I don't know what kind of mosquitoes you're growing out there, but that sounds very painful...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I saunter through the lingerie department all the time, it is kind of a habit.........
Me too, especially at Nordstrom where both the sales people and the shoppers tend to be young, well dressed and pretty. Anyway, don't you guys buy lingerie for your sweeties?

Ha
Old 10-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I love watching people walk by the local Victoria's Secret..

Of course, they probably enjoy watching me too..
Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Interesting conversation in light of my most recent podcast listen from the grand folks at Freakonomics, called Where did all the hitch-hikers go?
It identifies well with this concept of stranger danger and how even though the number of people harmed by being hitchhikers or picking up hitchhikers was few, it was magnified by the fear we have of strangers.
My fear is less of strangers as it is what other people will think of me as a "stranger" in certain situations.

It's to the point where I absolutely, categorically, **refuse** to be alone with children without adult witnesses present -- and to the point where if a "strange" child starts getting close to me, I turn around and distance myself as much as I can. Last thing I need is for someone to call the police on me because I got "too close" to someone else's kid.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My fear is less of strangers as it is what other people will think of me as a "stranger" in certain situations.

It's to the point where I absolutely, categorically, **refuse** to be alone with children without adult witnesses present -- and to the point where if a "strange" child starts getting close to me, I turn around and distance myself as much as I can. Last thing I need is for someone to call the police on me because I got "too close" to someone else's kid.
I understand exactly - which is one of the reasons I hightailed it out of there.

OTOH, kids needs to learn social skills and dealing with strangers is one of them. I'm getting pretty sick of hiring young people who are, at best, socially inept and, at worst, non-communicative to the point of catatonia.

All stats tell us that crime rates are down. So why do more and more of us feel like criminals for just doing stuff that comes naturally - like talking to a child.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I understand exactly - which is one of the reasons I hightailed it out of there.

OTOH, kids needs to learn social skills and dealing with strangers is one of them. I'm getting pretty sick of hiring young people who are, at best, socially inept and, at worst, non-communicative to the point of catatonia.

All stats tell us that crime rates are down. So why do more and more of us feel like criminals for just doing stuff that comes naturally - like talking to a child.
I will give you a story that was a bit strange....

This was years ago, but still...

I was visiting my sister and we went to the park with her two kids, age 5 and 8... after being there for awhile we decided it was time to leave... my sister went up to the playground and yelled... 'LETS GO' to her kids... we started to walk....

About 300 yards later we turned around to see a 3 or 4yo boy walking as fast as he could to keep up with us.... we stopped and looked at each other to figure out what to do.... since I did not have kids, my sister said 'I have to take him back because he will get lost if we just send him back'... so, she took the boy's hand and walked him back and found his mother who had no idea he was missing...

I can see how someone who is shifty can talk a kid into doing something they would not want to do...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #37

In a serious vein, there are some weirdos out there and some can be dangerous! I never ran into any but I am worried sometimes when alone in an isolated area.

Not too long ago I found myself in a very unusual situation and was having a very nice talk with a young girl, she was maybe 5 or 6. It struck me after a few minutes that this could be a dangerous situation for me. It's just her and me, what if she accused me of trying to harm her? What if an adult came and viewed this as something not on the up and up?

It's a shame to think this way but you can be putting yourself into a dangerous situation without realizing it. I ended the conversation at that point. All I need is some irate parent to call the cops and accuse me of something and then it's my word against theirs, I don't need that. I don't have any record of violence or criminal behavior but just the same I see this as a potentially dangerous situation.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Because it's on TV.

I am a volunteer cache reviewer for Geocaching.com. As far as I know, there has never been a case of anyone being assaulted as a direct consequence of searching for a cache. People occasionally fall off cliffs, have car crashes driving to/from a cache, get questioned by law enforcement, etc, and I presume that occasionally someone gets mugged by chance - although a decent cache will not be placed in a bad part of town - but as someone pointed out above, placing a cache to stalk people is a very inefficient exercise.

Oh, and if anyone knows a better hobby than geocaching for younger retirees, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Because it's on TV.
I agree: media coverage has a lot of impact on how people perceive situations.
Even though crime rates are fairly stable or going down and there has neither been an unsolved murder case in my area for many years nor many murder cases by random strangers at all the general understanding is that the risk of being murdered is much higher these days than ever before.

I am a member of a social organization servas.org where you can visit other members and sleep in their home. We have been visitors and hosts for several years and never had an unpleasant event. When talking about the organization to others, a lot of people are shocked that I would let strangers stay in our house, even though there is a small screening process for travellers.

On the other hand couch surfing and airbnb are new and very popular. This is encouraging.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Anyway, don't you guys buy lingerie for your sweeties?

Ha
I did, until DW found out about it ...