Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Strawberry Fields Forever....
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Strawberry Fields Forever....

I love strawberries. Have inquired with some friends about growing my own strawberries and everybody has said it is difficult, tricky, and requires a lot of maintenance Does anyone here grow their own strawberries and are there any pointers you'd like to share? Do you have to protect them from rabbits, birds, or other animals?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #2

It probably depends upon your growing climate. My parents in Missouri never had any trouble getting them to grow. They used a raised bed that needed lots of weeding. and the birds love strawberries, so they would put a net over the strawberries.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I could grow strawberries in the south, but the slugs, birds, chipmunks, etc.. always got to them before I did.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #4

Brought back memories of our strawberry patch when I was a kid in central Ohio. We always had the best strawberries. Don't remember dad doing anything special but I had the job of weeding. Also can't remember if we had a particular problem with animals. If we did it was probably birds.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've found them relatively easy to grow. But getting a ripe one before the slugs, bunnies and ants was near impossible for me. I gave up.

A raised bed with screens over it and careful attention to bugs might get you there. Even the rare trimmed 1/4 eaten berry that I might salvage was sooooo good, it almost made it worthwhile.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #6

DH tried strawberries in the garden his first year of retirement. The plants were gorgeous, sending out runners and having plenty of buds. But like many other posters, someone always got to them before we did. I'd see a berry that needed just a little more ripening and by the time I checked it the next day, it was gone, or half nibbled away.

Here's a picture of DH with his strawberries. Look how happy he is to be retired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35932_1398589736137_2617228_n.jpg (72.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you grow on small scale, beer traps + crushed eggshells worked for slugs here (Georgia).
But I found that slugs drink too much beer and DW had been occasionally raiding my stash
Rabits were not interested in them, neither birds.
The only problems were too much rain (some strawberries rotted before they were ripe) and slugs.
It's actually quite easy in raised beds.

But our best success were blueberries - planted 6 bushes and after two seasons we started to getting bumper crops without any maintenance (except for drip irrigation watering in late spring/early summer). When we drove by our old house the bushes were still there after 13 years, about 8 ft tall and plenty of berries.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Strawberries are one of the few things I can actually grow. We live in a warm environment, so I grow them inside so they don't get sun scorched and neither do I. You should give it a try with a small batch first, you might find it easier than you think.
Powor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Here in MO. I was shocked at how easy they were to grow and get massive crops. Even if a bird got a few it wasn't a big deal. We never had a single insect/grub or other type of pest issue, could be humility related.

Good luck.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents had a huge strawberry patch when I was growing up. Dad's main trick was to run the rototiller over about 1/3 of it every year, rotating the section he tilled up. We would be almost sick of eating them by the time mid-summer came around and Mom used to slice them up, throw some sugar on them, and then freeze them in quart canning jars. She'd thaw them out in the winter to have over pancakes or waffles. She also used to make strawberry rhubarb preserves. Wonder if she still has that recipe?

Our biggest pest problem was the dog. She loved strawberries and would go pick her own when she was outside.
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #11

They grow well in ND also. The birds are a problem but if you drape fiberglass window screening over the plants it helps.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

You need to select varieties for flavor. Those that we get from Watsonville, CA or Mexico taste like apples. In Oregon many grow the Hood variety.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had very good luck letting Smucker's grow strawberries for me.

Smucker's jams and preserves are two of the very few grocery items where we buy a name brand rather than the store brand.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Smucker's is a major processor of Oregon strawberries. They pay for flavor per pound.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I've had very good luck letting Smucker's grow strawberries for me.

Smucker's jams and preserves are two of the very few grocery items where we buy a name brand rather than the store brand.
Those are good preserves, they have their place, but preserves do not compare to a fresh picked, fully ripened strawberry. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
gone traveling

For me, it just seems like work but the DW loves to do some gardening and plants strawberries every year. Matter of fact I was out there today and saw a bunch of strawberries ready for picking. I'm not aware of anything special she does other than regular watering and they seem to do just fine.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote