Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you have a Roku, this may be of interest to you.
A few days ago, Roku added a channel named Media Browser 3.

While it took some time to download a program to my computer, to make it work, the results are great. In effect, it allows you to use your Roku remote to interact with your PC, wirelessly, and put on to your TV anything that is on your computer.

So here's the benefit... for example... My computer is in the den, while my TV is in the livingroom. The Roku is connected only to the TV. When I open Roku and go to the channel Media Browser 3 (using the Roku Remote)... I can search for anything that is on the computer and play it on the TV... no wires involved.

Here's how it works for me:
My 3 Terrabyte hard drive on my PC contains movies, MP3"s , and all of my picture files. The Hard drive is E:/ and the folders show up on the TV screen, by name. I click on that folder, using my Roku Remote, and all of the movies, music and picture folders show up. I can select what I want to see, and throw the media (movie, MP#, or Picture slide show) to the TV screen. Works perfectly.
Expect to take about a half hour to set this up... but it's a one time deal, and well worth the time to do it.

As a side note... With this new ability to remotely access your computer, if you were considering buying a Smart TV... you might want to wait a bit, as the technology is changing, and apparently some of the smart TV's are not able to handle this kind of Browser access.

One more thing... The Roku opening screen has changed, to allow you to select and preview various current news sources, with short headline descriptions of breaking news clips. The allows you to browse slectively, for things like sports, health, news, movies, and other subjects, without having to wait for it to show up on your favorite news station. Ie... you can go directly to Health, to see breaking news clips from different news stations... like ABC, CNN, MSNBC, FOX etc...

We're getting closer to being able to go around the cable/satellite TV contracts...

A little overwhelming at first, but if this old geezer can do it, should be a snap for you youngsters...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
If you have a Roku, this may be of interest to you.
A few days ago, Roku added a channel named Media Browser 3.

While it took some time to download a program to my computer, to make it work, the results are great. In effect, it allows you to use your Roku remote to interact with your PC, wirelessly, and put on to your TV anything that is on your computer.

So here's the benefit... for example... My computer is in the den, while my TV is in the livingroom. The Roku is connected only to the TV. When I open Roku and go to the channel Media Browser 3 (using the Roku Remote)... I can search for anything that is on the computer and play it on the TV... no wires involved.

Here's how it works for me:
My 3 Terrabyte hard drive on my PC contains movies, MP3"s , and all of my picture files. The Hard drive is E:/ and the folders show up on the TV screen, by name. I click on that folder, using my Roku Remote, and all of the movies, music and picture folders show up. I can select what I want to see, and throw the media to the TV screen. Works perfectly.
Expect to take about a half hour to set this up... but it's a one time deal, and well worth the time to do it.

As a side note... With this new ability to remotely acces your computer, if you were considering buying a Smart TV... you might want to wait a bit, as the technology is changing, and apparently some of the smart TV's are not able to handle this kind of Browser access.

One more thing... The Roku opening screen has changed, to allow you to select and preview various current news sources, with short headline descriptions of breaking news clips. The allows you to browse slectively, for things like sports, health, news, movies, and other subjects, without having to wait for it to show up on your favorite news station. Ie... you can go directly to Health, to see breaking news clips from different news stations... like ABC, CNN, MSNBC, FOX etc...

We're getting closer to being able to go around the cable/satellite TV contracts...

A little overwhelming at first, but this old geezer can do it, should be a snap for you youngsters...

Also, new on Roku
Good info. Is this true for any Roku? I have a Roku 2 on the way and I understand youtube is not available on it. But if you can do this, then youtube would be available through the Media browser, right?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dawg, according to the Roku website this software update is applicable to the Roku 2 XD. It was rolled out in May, so chances are the units we have on order will arrive with it already installed.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #44

I don't have the website close at hand, but if you google "YouTube work around for Roku" you'll find a website that gives instructions for connecting YouTube, using the developer mode... Best to print out the instructions for connecting, as the steps are a little tricky.
I think I linked it on an earlier post on this thread.
I don't know if Roku has added it to other models... they have automatic updates all the time.
According to the Roku website, on the buy page, YouTube is only listed for the Roku3.

As far as using the MediaBrowser 3 to stream YouTube... I don't think so, but am not sure... The browser works on items that are on the PC, like movies and music, but I don't think you can actually operate the PC... like connecting to an online video... but I'm still learning.

To operate Roku from a smartphone or a tablet there are some free apps...
"Roku" and "Romoku"... which are advanced remotes that allow using a virtual keyboard for searches instead of the left/right/up/down buttons on the remote that comes with the Roku.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Got my roku today. Pretty easy to set up and runs well. Don't see youtube as we thoght. But will do some research as suggested by imoldernu to see what I can come up with. A big thumbs up so far.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Got my roku today. Pretty easy to set up and runs well. Don't see youtube as we thoght. But will do some research as suggested by imoldernu to see what I can come up with. A big thumbs up so far.
I cancelled my cable in May 2013 and got a roku at the same time. I love it. I no longer have any memory of what TV viewing was like pre-roku!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Roku has new channels out - maybe just for Roku3, but check - They include the PBS channel, which has "Plagues and Pleasures of the Salton Sea" on. Narrated by John Waters, it is a favorite showing an area to which I just love being a spectator. Hard to find the full movie (free), and it shows Niland, Bombay Beach, Salvation Mountain, Salton City...

Think the PBS was in the History channel, there is also A&E and a great old monster/western/shlock movie channel good just for the cover art if not the movies - have fun!

edit: OK. PBS>featured programs>America Reframed>Plagues and Pleasures
Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #48

Didn't wanna start a new thread on something that may just be daydreaming, but the 2015 timeline for the project said"Don't ignore this".

Free Internet for the whole world? 2015? OMG...

If for no other reason, just because it's there... on the internet, so it MUST be true.

OUTERNET
New York company says it can beam free OUTERNET Wi-fi to every person on Earth | Mail Online
Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #49

I also remember the claim that nuclear generated electricity would be "too cheap to measure". Still waiting.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #50

Found the answer here, on reddit... pretty funny.
Say goodbye to the Internet and say hello to Outernet. Company plans to beam free Wi-fi to every person on Earth from space : worldnews

Quote:
Quick fact check:
The satellites will (largely) broadcast, not receive. One will be able to access only the content being multicasted by these satellites.
The entirety of the internet will not be broadcast. Only specific things, like world news, Wikipedia, OpenStreetMap, KhanAcademy, and crop prices will be available.
In disaster zones, the satellites will operate as both transmitters and receivers, allowing responders to communicate in areas with no cell service or radio communication. The general public will not be privy to this service, however.
This will largely be a service for underserved areas without ready access to the internet. The signal will not be strong enough to access in areas with lots of Wi-Fi interference, like most first-world cities.
So this is pretty cool, but it's not "free Wi-Fi for the whole world." The long-range Wi-Fi multicasting system hasn't been tested yet, though that is scheduled for this year. Check out www.outernet.is
.................................................. ......................
Second comment...
.................................................. ......................
Going to hijack the top comment to just note that this was posted a few weeks ago by one of the "team members" and looked to be a pretty obvious attempt to scam people.
The company supposedly doing this has no experience doing it, no business plan, and completely lacks a technical understanding of the issues involved.
Furthermore, as far as anyone could tell they weren't actually associated with the charity they claim is collecting money on their behalf, and when you "donate" to them the money goes directly to them instead of going through the charity.
As far as anyone can tell, this whole thing is being made up by a small handful of people none of whom, again, have any experience in anything related to this project. Other than sending out press releases/posting to reddit and creating a paypal address that you can send money to they have done absolutely no work on this whatsoever.
The Outernet website has requests for donations, as well as links to "bitcoin" and "dogecoin".
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Didn't wanna start a new thread on something that may just be daydreaming, but the 2015 timeline for the project said"Don't ignore this".

Free Internet for the whole world? 2015? OMG...

If for no other reason, just because it's there... on the internet, so it MUST be true.

OUTERNET
New York company says it can beam free OUTERNET Wi-fi to every person on Earth | Mail Online
Uh huh... They seem to have missed a few bits.

Doppler shift: The frequency shift as a low orbit satellite (like a CubeSat) moves from horizon to horizon will cross multiple WiFi channels. Swapping channels in mid-transaction is a big ole FAIL.

Pesky speed-of-light delays: It takes time for a signal to move from ground to even low orbit, or orbit to ground. More time than the WiFi protocol requires that a packet be acknowledged in.

So, they can't use the WiFi equipment or protocol stack. That right there moves them out of the 'for free for everyone WiFi' business.

They are proclaiming that what they'll really do is broadcast data, that is, they'll send out a constant stream of digital information one-way, and your data receiver will collect that data and eventually assemble a self-consistent block that can be peeled apart for content. I suppose this might work for delivering a sort of 'newspaper' of content that remains fixed for some period of time, which is about all that they call for in their short term deliverables.

You'll need a compatible receiver and processing gear for your downlink station. Amateur radio operators routinely assemble CubeSat ground stations. They aren't pocket-sized, though. Remember that you are trying to receive a weak signal from a little CubeSat that is moving in low earth orbit, crossing the sky in a matter of minutes. You'll need a steerable antenna and tracking system. That means azimuth and elevation rotors, and a soft realtime tracking system (Debian LINUX on a laptop works well as a starting point for this.) You'll also need the UHF receiver and signal processing setup.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #52

Roku is producing Roku TV, available this Fall... under their name. Basically a Smart TV,
with Roku built in. This article from CNet is a review.
Roku TV unveiled: Television sets with Roku streaming built-in | CES 2014: Home Theater and Audio - CNET Blogs
As far as I can see, except for the remote access, the only real advantage seems to be the cross platform search... allowing a search through all 1000 Roku Channels for a specific movie or other music or show.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Roku is producing Roku TV, available this Fall... under their name. Basically a Smart TV,
with Roku built in. This article from CNet is a review.
Roku TV unveiled: Television sets with Roku streaming built-in | CES 2014: Home Theater and Audio - CNET Blogs
As far as I can see, except for the remote access, the only real advantage seems to be the cross platform search... allowing a search through all 1000 Roku Channels for a specific movie or other music or show.
Just an expensive and large Roku aggregator. Appears that iy can only collect and deliver free or paid for content, just like the $99 device. A way to sell $500+ Roku machines.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

We did hook up a lap top to the living room TV with an HDMI cable and then set up a wireless keyboard for the remote.

I have been collecting assorted free public library cards so that gives us a huge amount of free downloadable media right there to watch, read or listen to on the TV or PC - online magazines from Zino, online courses, ebooks, free movies, audio books, online courses, exercise videos, cooking videos, free music and music videos from Freegal.

Plus we have Netflix, Hulu Plus and Prime plus anything free to watch on the Internet on youtube, the network web sites or the documentary sites.

I don't think we'd ever pay extra for cable TV any more. We have way more stuff than we could ever watch in a life time as it is. Last night I downloaded free current music and a music video from Freegal with a library card, got it in the iTunes library and was able to play the music video back from the library. It is so cool as the Freegal music and videos aren't just loans - we get to keep them.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

It's amazing how good the homemade "how too" cooking videos are on YouTube. Often very good instruction and usually entertaining as well - even if inadvertent. It seems many folks who know how to cook something in particular are willing to document it and share it with everyone. Much appreciated!!!