Join Early Retirement Today

Streaming security cameras
Old 06-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Streaming security cameras

Considering a Nest (we have the thermostat) Are the cameras a good investment to be able to check on the house when we are away?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have one that I use mostly to check on the dogs while we are away. It takes a series of stills and you can also tell it to record if you want. You get the pics on your smart phone.

Works well and cost was ~$60.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

I have an older Foscam IP camera that I've been using for the past 5 years and like it a lot. Been thinking about upgrading it with one of the newer models with better features.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #4

I have the original version of the Nestcam (was Dropcam at the time) and have had it for about 3 (maybe 4) years. Works well and does what it needs to do. Mainly used to watch house sitters when we travel.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, +1 on the Dropcam (now NEST). Very easy to setup and use.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #6

are these Mac compatible?
Old 06-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Take a look at these: https://goo.gl/VOpZPp I have 4 in my house and they are amazing for the price. Free iPhone app to view them. Could not be happier....

edit to add: When I got them they were running a deal if you purchased 3. Not sure if it's still going.....
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
Take a look at these: https://goo.gl/VOpZPp I have 4 in my house and they are amazing for the price. Free iPhone app to view them. Could not be happier....

edit to add: When I got them they were running a deal if you purchased 3. Not sure if it's still going.....
Did you notice the company can record you and family in your home and share the video's?
Old 06-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #9

I don't doubt Nest is a quality product but just don't see why it would be worth 3-4X the cost of similar products. I also like the pan and tilt feature in my current camera, looks like the Nest is a fixed camera.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Considering a Nest (we have the thermostat) Are the cameras a good investment to be able to check on the house when we are away?
On the advice of other forum members, we just installed two for our place in Fl while we are away. We had the thermostats installed a couple of months ago. So far, so good. We get notifications whenever there is any movement, also when the system is offline for more than 30 min. (an unfortunate regular thing with Comcast). We have one facing an outdoor area and are getting quite a few notifications (birds, leaves moving in the wind ). I think next year we'll install a third camera.

For an unoccupied home, I worry less about security and more about electrical outages, flooding, and storms. The smartphone access to the thermostat and cameras helps with that a great deal, no need to impose on neighbors or family just to monitor.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have two Nest cameras (Dropcam when I bought them). Got the first about three years ago and liked it enough to add another last year. Pretty foolproof and very easy to use. I like how quickly I can check the house out on my iPhone when traveling, and the historical (rolling seven days) record is very well implemented IMHO.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #12

I also have this system for my outside surveillance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had it for a couple of years and it has worked without a hitch. I can stream/watch it from my phone or tablet in real time or review the DVR. You can also set up "motion areas" for each camera and that makes it easy to scan through DAYS of video (if you need to do that). I attached a screenshot of the PC interface. I blocked out one of the cameras because, well...I can.

I will say that configuring the software took some time; mostly connecting to my router and making sure that the firewalls were secure. Not a huge deal if others can see the cams, but I wanted to make sure that it would be VERY difficult for others to get on my network.

Also, I have the DVR stashed pretty well and it's hooked up to a UPS that will allow it to record for about 30 minutes after a power outage..you know, in case some kids or crook figure that they will just cut the power to the house and then not be on camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cams.jpg (401.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #13

I have Dahua IP cameras Dahua DH-HAC-HFW1200SN BNC 2 Megapixel 1080P Water-proof HDCVI IR-Bullet Camera - Newegg.com with SecuritySpy - Mac NVR Video Surveillance Software - Ben Software Security Spy software running on my mac. I view live remotely from computer/ipad/iphone and get email alerts with photos upon motion detection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 7.41.30 AM.jpg (448.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #14

Here is the system I use. 8 cameras installed already, I am planning on one more. I can record 136+ days as I have it currently configured, with a automatic overwrite. It was ~$599 (or $499) I think, on Black Friday last year.

Cameras all 1080p. Available to see on my phone or laptop.

Samsung 16 Channel 1080p HD Security System with 2TB Hard Drive, 10 1080p Weather Resistant Cameras, and 82' Night Vision - Sam's Club

I was hoping that Simplisafe would come up with a camera system. I want internal cameras to go on when I turn my alarm on. Otherwise, I do not want internal recordings. I may go with a different WiFi camera, and turn it on when I leave for extended periods.

I do not have a UPS system, but that is in the cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (183.6 KB, 22 views)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
are these Mac compatible?
The Nest cams certainly are, I monitor and manage them on my MacBook Air as well as the app on my iPhone. We are in the UK at present for a few months and I have one set up looking at the front door of our place in the US set to send an alert on sound so I see my son arriving and leaving each week or so as he flushes the toilets and runs the garbage disposal.

I also have one set up in our house in the UK looking at the front door. When we travel, as we did a week ago for a few days, I set it to alert on sound and get to see the mailman delivering mail (we have a frosted glass front door).