Streaming security cameras

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Considering a Nest (we have the thermostat) Are the cameras a good investment to be able to check on the house when we are away?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have one that I use mostly to check on the dogs while we are away. It takes a series of stills and you can also tell it to record if you want. You get the pics on your smart phone.

Works well and cost was ~$60.

I have an older Foscam IP camera that I've been using for the past 5 years and like it a lot. Been thinking about upgrading it with one of the newer models with better features.

I have the original version of the Nestcam (was Dropcam at the time) and have had it for about 3 (maybe 4) years. Works well and does what it needs to do. Mainly used to watch house sitters when we travel.

Yes, +1 on the Dropcam (now NEST). Very easy to setup and use.

Take a look at these: https://goo.gl/VOpZPp I have 4 in my house and they are amazing for the price. Free iPhone app to view them. Could not be happier....

edit to add: When I got them they were running a deal if you purchased 3. Not sure if it's still going.....

Take a look at these: https://goo.gl/VOpZPp I have 4 in my house and they are amazing for the price. Free iPhone app to view them. Could not be happier....

edit to add: When I got them they were running a deal if you purchased 3. Not sure if it's still going.....

Did you notice the company can record you and family in your home and share the video's?

I don't doubt Nest is a quality product but just don't see why it would be worth 3-4X the cost of similar products. I also like the pan and tilt feature in my current camera, looks like the Nest is a fixed camera.

Considering a Nest (we have the thermostat) Are the cameras a good investment to be able to check on the house when we are away?
On the advice of other forum members, we just installed two for our place in Fl while we are away. We had the thermostats installed a couple of months ago. So far, so good. We get notifications whenever there is any movement, also when the system is offline for more than 30 min. (an unfortunate regular thing with Comcast). We have one facing an outdoor area and are getting quite a few notifications (birds, leaves moving in the wind :)). I think next year we'll install a third camera.

For an unoccupied home, I worry less about security and more about electrical outages, flooding, and storms. The smartphone access to the thermostat and cameras helps with that a great deal, no need to impose on neighbors or family just to monitor.

I have two Nest cameras (Dropcam when I bought them). Got the first about three years ago and liked it enough to add another last year. Pretty foolproof and very easy to use. I like how quickly I can check the house out on my iPhone when traveling, and the historical (rolling seven days) record is very well implemented IMHO.

I also have this system for my outside surveillance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNK3DYQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had it for a couple of years and it has worked without a hitch. I can stream/watch it from my phone or tablet in real time or review the DVR. You can also set up "motion areas" for each camera and that makes it easy to scan through DAYS of video (if you need to do that). I attached a screenshot of the PC interface. I blocked out one of the cameras because, well...I can. ;)

I will say that configuring the software took some time; mostly connecting to my router and making sure that the firewalls were secure. Not a huge deal if others can see the cams, but I wanted to make sure that it would be VERY difficult for others to get on my network.

Also, I have the DVR stashed pretty well and it's hooked up to a UPS that will allow it to record for about 30 minutes after a power outage..you know, in case some kids or crook figure that they will just cut the power to the house and then not be on camera.

Attachments

• Cams.jpg
    Cams.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 31

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 7.41.30 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 7.41.30 AM.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 21
Here is the system I use. 8 cameras installed already, I am planning on one more. I can record 136+ days as I have it currently configured, with a automatic overwrite. It was ~$599 (or $499) I think, on Black Friday last year.

Cameras all 1080p. Available to see on my phone or laptop.

Samsung 16 Channel 1080p HD Security System with 2TB Hard Drive, 10 1080p Weather Resistant Cameras, and 82' Night Vision - Sam's Club

I was hoping that Simplisafe would come up with a camera system. I want internal cameras to go on when I turn my alarm on. Otherwise, I do not want internal recordings. I may go with a different WiFi camera, and turn it on when I leave for extended periods.

I do not have a UPS system, but that is in the cards.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
are these Mac compatible?

The Nest cams certainly are, I monitor and manage them on my MacBook Air as well as the app on my iPhone. We are in the UK at present for a few months and I have one set up looking at the front door of our place in the US set to send an alert on sound so I see my son arriving and leaving each week or so as he flushes the toilets and runs the garbage disposal.

I also have one set up in our house in the UK looking at the front door. When we travel, as we did a week ago for a few days, I set it to alert on sound and get to see the mailman delivering mail (we have a frosted glass front door).

Back
Top Bottom