Join Early Retirement Today

Stress, Worry , Anger - Gallup
Old 04-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stress, Worry , Anger - Gallup

You might find the result of this Gallup poll, interesting. The comparisons of countries was not, to me, surprising, but at the end of the article is a comparison of the levels of angst. The age factor analysis seems to me a serious level of concern for the future.

The world is moving... fast.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/249098/...fied-2018.aspx

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Americans(British subjects) were likely more angry just prior to the American Revolution when we didn't even have a president......

Old 04-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Is the group of people who answer the phone these days and agree to take a poll really random?
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Is the group of people who answer the phone these days and agree to take a poll really random?
from the Gallup site:
Quote:
Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,004 adults in the U.S., aged 15 and older, conducted from Aug. 13- Sept. 30, 2018. For results based on the total sample of national adults, the margin of sampling error is ±4.0 percentage points at the 95% confidence level. The margin of error reflects the influence of data weighting. In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

Read this today. With the level of media available to everyone nowadays, every possible worry out in the universe is placed on our shoulders. I'm glad that I grew up in a period where ignorance was bliss.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

On a brighter note, the same survey said that a significantly larger proportion of the population experienced a lot of enjoyment as opposed to stress, worry or anger over the same survey period.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Et tu, Gallup?
Old 04-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #7

Et tu, Gallup?

I'm stressed, worried and angry that every news blurb, press release and factoid, regardless of topic, somehow has to sneak in a gratuitous reference to Donald Trump.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

The media is responsible for alot of the stress, anger, and worry in this country. By their biased reporting, everything was perfect until November 2016.

We all have our personal issues, but the constant media blitz of negative false stories, and opinion pieces have soured many of us. The divided political scene is also to blame...not much give and take going on.

Still working for magacorp, I didn't experience much of the "enjoyment" they were talking about yesterday.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #9

Is Porky soon to put in an appearance?
Old 04-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Is Porky soon to put in an appearance?
Doesn’t have to, but it would help to keep politics (and politicians) out of the discussion.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Doesn’t have to, but it would help to keep politics (and politicians) out of the discussion.

+1
Old 04-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cold hard facts of why this issue is increasing.....media, and politics.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #13

Presumably the international part of this poll was done in the local language. Do each of those languages have a word that exactly matches what Americans consider to be "stress"? It's more likely instead each has a word similar to "stress" but with its own subtle, local connotations. With that in mind, I don't think this comparison of "stress" in different countries is valid.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Cold hard facts of why this issue is increasing.....media, and politics.
+ a million times over, it gets them more clicks that's almost all the media cares about IMO..

as for politics not much different then the past, except for the fact they used to all coverup for each other, so that us "clueless" voters were left in the dark about how corrupt they all are.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally curtailed my news intake, having gotten tired of being made angry all the time. Even when the topic is of interest to me, producers seem to have encouraged the talking heads to all talk at once which I find very frustrating.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Read this today. With the level of media available to everyone nowadays, every possible worry out in the universe is placed on our shoulders.
And I think this illustrates the value of "turning" off these media feeds. I am reading a book "Deep W*rk" by Cal Newport and he discusses how social media and "feeds" of information has really affected society and has made it difficult for people to concentrate for extended periods of time. What point am I making, you ask? Well, with the constant barrage of bad news (we rarely hear GOOD news) that society seeks 24/7, I think it's natural that these "connected" folks will be stressed, worried and angry. My Dad (who passed last year at almost 91 y/o) was *always* seeking out news stories to be outraged against. As much as I tried to convince him that none of it would really effect him, he continued to seek it out, and that is sad to me.

I do my best to disconnect from the news and particularly the "feeds" of social media. I had a Facebook account for many years and had abandoned it for the last few years. Recently, I reactivated it to "see what I missed" and I used it for a good week before deactivating it again. All those years, and I didn't miss a thing. The people who are most important to me I still keep up with though other means than social media, and I am pretty certain that avoiding these feeds makes me a pretty happy person. Well, being retired doesn't suck, either.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
I finally curtailed my news intake, having gotten tired of being made angry all the time.
Yeah, me too. I stopped watching news a month ago, and I feel more peaceful. Negative emotions get a lot more traction in our brain than positive emotions, so that's what drives the media. It feeds off and reinforces division, anger, fear, self-righteousness, blame, vilification, prejudice, us vs. them, etc. It makes you a worse person.

Most of news doesn't affect me personally, and the small percentage that does, I can't usually do anything about anyway. I figure that if something really important happens, I'll find out about it eventually, lol. And in the meantime, my mind won't be cluttered with all that garbage, and I'll be free to focus on something more life-enhancing.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post

Most of news doesn't affect me personally, and the small percentage that does, I can't usually do anything about anyway. I figure that if something really important happens, I'll find out about it eventually, lol. And in the meantime, my mind won't be cluttered with all that garbage, and I'll be free to focus on something more life-enhancing.
x100 on this thought. I ignore most of the news (I will watch the local news if weather looks dicey) and I have *yet* to miss anything that personally affects me. I get occasional texts from a friend who likes to be outraged and thankfully I usually have no idea what he's talking about.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
I finally curtailed my news intake, having gotten tired of being made angry all the time. Even when the topic is of interest to me, producers seem to have encouraged the talking heads to all talk at once which I find very frustrating.
You know, ever since I have stopped watching and reading the "news" (newspaper, TV, internet sources), my BP is staying normal (Doc has taken me off the BP meds permanently), I never feel stressed, I sleep better, and even my dog likes me more.

Really, this has been wonderful for me.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #20

I never comment about pols here. It would disturb my chi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My comment was not about a politician. It was about the linked article whose author felt an inexplicable need to connect his poll results to a politician.