Stuff. Weirdest stuff? Oldest stuff?

When my best friend found his first gray hair, he put it in an envelope and mailed it to me. I still have it! :LOL: Here he is....

Attachments

• 2009.jpg
    2009.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 14
Very cute. Must be gay. Aren't all the cute ones gay or priests? Darn it...

When I moved to New Orleans years ago, I brought along 85 (large) boxes of books, journals, and technical reports. I had no bed and no TV, but I had my books - - my "stuff" was almost entirely books. What an albatross my books had become!

So, I have gradually managed to reduce that to the amount I presently own, about 15 boxes of my most cherished books. (That is less than half of the 36 boxes of books that I had when I moved away from Hawaii in 1975.) I am still working on my book reduction project and by the time we move I might have even fewer books than I do today.

Our planned ER location has a new library with a very nice book collection and a pleasant reading room. I plan to spend a lot of time there reading. I might get a Kindle, too.

Last edited:
As for my friend being gay or not, it doesn't matter to me as I'm married. I will say this; he's told me if I ever become single, we should shack up together...;)

Ahhh yeah...he is the handsome one...with a heart of gold.

As for my friend being gay or not, it doesn't matter to me as I'm married. I will say this; he's told me if I ever become single, we should shack up together...;)

And a great smile! :)

Seems like the oldest thing around my place is SO relaxing on the recliner. I'll spare you the photos. Why is that the smallest belly looks like an eighth month pregnancy when leaning back in a recliner:confused:?

What kind of stuff have you got?

Well, I kinda collect "stuff".....so I could go on and on. :blush:

Something weird and old? I've got a jar full of rattlesnake rattles collected from my younger years on my grandpa's ranch. Probably 20 in all. I can pretty much identify every one of them by sight. There's the one that struck at me when I picked up a saddle blanket, the one that killed my pet rabbit, The one my grandma shot in the chicken house....that was a hoot to watch. :ROFLMAO:

All other snakes were off limits per my grandpa. We needed snakes to help control the rodents, but poisonous snakes had to be dealt with.

...and I was embarrassed that I have my best friend's first gray hair! :LOL:

IndependentlyPoor;852527I am living proof that the gays ones aren't all cute.[/QUOTE said:
Not so sure. For me, the definition of "cute" goes well beyond the outer layer. Yeah, I post about Adam, Prince and Bowie, but the most beautiful people I know would never make the cover of the fashion magazines.

I hit a box-o-weird today, going through the stack of mystery boxes from my Mom's estate. It contained, among many other things:

My mom's baptismal certificate. Full color, cute little rounded cherubs, ribbons, and a church seal. A little different from laser-print on a stock paper certificate...

My brother's first traffic accident police report. (Yes, I'm scanning it and sending it to him.)

The clan shield and tartan as a 3 inch diameter button.

A 1040 from 1965, along with supporting documents. Just in case...

In other news, I found a sack. It was full of hammers. I avoided dropping the sack of hammers on my foot. :rolleyes:

I have some nose hair clippings from 1962.

Heh. I once saw the Topkapi Palace, a museum in Istanbul, Turkey. The sultans collected some unusual things. Oh, it had the usual imperial carriages, the odd emerald the size of an egg, an 86 carat diamond, jewel encrusted thrones and whatnot.

It also has the cloak and a hair of the beard of the prophet Muhammad, the staff of Moses, the turban of Joseph, and the forearm and hand of St. John the Baptist.

Which I suppose makes the sultans some sort of hoarders...

Weird -
Gallstones 1983

A rock from a riverbank where my friend's husband poured her cremains into the Neshannock River.

An unused "preemie sized" disposable diaper from when my son was born in 1984. He was only 4 lbs. 1 oz and it was huge on him.

Old -
A stuffed dog and monkey from my childhood.

My engagement ring from 1925, it was my husband's grandmother's ring.

Old - a TImes of London from the 1840's - still in pretty good shape (acid free paper back then.

Odd - a book from the 1870's - children's exercise - rifle/bayonet and close order drills with broomsticks for boys and girls.

ta,
mew

Two pennies mashed together by a railroad train from when I was about eight.

A glass piggy bank stuffed with pennies from the mid-60's. The thing must weigh 15 pounds.

Oldest object: 1864? (too lazy to go look) half dime

Object(s) which I have owned longest: electric train set from 5th Christmas

Everybody's got stuff. Who has the weirdest stuff? Who has the oldest stuff? What kind of stuff have you got?
Oldest - there is a 1800s vintage dime in one of my 2 ceramic piggy banks, made by me during early teens years.
Oddest - I have a variety of objects that LH brought back from Europe when he was a Navy landlubber for 4 years.
The strangest has to be a real hookah (unused, relax :rolleyes:).
2nd runner up is a wooden handle, covered with leather with 2 wooden balls on short chains with a few pointy top iron nails in them (Medieval flail).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail_(weapon)
My stuff is pretty mundane - rock and shell collections from childhood, teddy bears, books, etc. I have a driftwood collection that I use in my front garden.

Attachments

• Spring09Flowers 007.jpg
    Spring09Flowers 007.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 3
Very cute. Must be gay. Aren't all the cute ones gay or priests? Darn it...
Looks gay to me.
Well, at least in Spain, many gays have that look.
Cute isn´t an adjective we apply to straight men, anyway. When you apply it to a man you are implying that he is probably gay.
Typical reactionary latino machismo? Yes. Sadly.

He looks just fine (very fine indeed ;)) to me. Great smile.

Perhaps the oldest and oddest thing I have is a bottle that I picked up on my grandparent's abandoned farm. Nothing is left of the farmhouse, just woods and prairie. I found this bottle while squirrel hunting there when I was in high school (With a .22, and yes, we ate the squirrels. Rural Texas, what can I say?)
crayton.jpg
The molded-in lettering says:
"Dr. T. W. Graydon, Cincinnati, O., Diseases of the Lungs."
I Googled that phrase and sure enough, up popped his obituary published in the March 1, 1900 New York Times.
Graydon obit.gif
Gosh I love "teh internets".

Back
Top Bottom