Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not surprising at all. For some unknown reason DoD seems to be fond of making things just as complicated as possible.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
...At least it wasn't as bad as Jack Welch of GE - remember him? He said (and implemented at GE) the bottom 10% of the workforce (in ratings) should be fired each year, regardless of the actual quality of their work or the effort they put into it. Unless you have some real sluggards, in a few years you are firing good people who do good jobs, but, for whatever reasons, end up in that bottom 10%.
Or you accept transfers or new hires that you can use to meet your quota!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Or you accept transfers or new hires that you can use to meet your quota!
I remember asking a speaker at a conference meeting which of the top ten salaried people in his company had been fired
"pour encourager les autres"

He didn't get it

Voltaire's novel Candide: "Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres." ("In this country, it is wise to kill an admiral from time to time to give courage to the others.")
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
("In this country, it is wise to kill an admiral from time to time to give courage to the others.")
When they tried to push down the bell curve, I asked them which VP was going to be sacrificed? They did not get it either.

We used to always rank newcomers a 4 and explain that we had to do it and that their next review would reflect their true contribution!

The fun thing about the bell curve is when you tell you superiors that you had no 1 performers but you made one up to satisfy the statistics.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Then there's the Buzzword Bingo statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Found in a municipal water department
It is our mission to dramatically initiate performance based opportunities as well as to proactively leverage existing quality leadership skills to meet our customer's needs.
The Dilbert website used to have a mission statement generator that uses randomly picked words to come up with statements like you posted...

I don't think the "tool" is available anymore though.

Heres 3 examples of the great work Dilbert's MSG automatically produced in the past:

"We have committed to synergistically fashion high-quality products so that we may collaboratively provide access to inexpensive leadership skills in order to solve business problems"

"It is our job to continually foster world-class infrastructures as well as to quickly create principle-centered sources to meet our customer's needs"

"Our challenge is to assertively network economically sound methods of empowerment so that we may continually negotiate performance based infrastructures"
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote