Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I vote to keep the Library! I love the luxury of a real paper book.
Plus, since I still work, I go the the library every 2 weeks to pick out more books on CD for the drive.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
The library in my town is of substantial size, offers all sorts of amenities -- besides books (paper and electronic), meeting rooms, computers for use by the public, study rooms, book clubs, etc. plus they host all sorts of interesting speakers on topics from money management to genealogy. They also show movies for children and adults.
That's the same situation in the township where I reside.

A library is much more than just physical "books". It's also learning to use the content in those books - either by a hardcover or e-book, with the focus on what the info is all about, and discussion of that info. In our library (which is expanding to another building, BTW) has the parking lot full of "soccer moms" who not only take their school age childern for research (yes, there is actual physical research, other than the internet), but also has a variety of pre-school programs that act as an "early start" for the young one's (along with their mom's - and some dads).

A "community center" (which we also have) has a different focus. While both community organizations complement each other, they do have their indivudial place in the use of our township "resources".

I do pay a separate line item on my RE taxes to support the library. I'm happy to do so.

BTW, the closest "town", which has a lot of folks that live "on the fringe" use that town library for their internet service, since they can neither afford a PC or internet charges. For their childern (who are trying to better themselves, and their family), it's a resource they would not have if the library would cease to exist. Not everybody can afford an e-book reader, or even internet access.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I also vote to keep the library . I use my ereader as a supplement to library books . I still go to the library every few weeks and it is usually crowded with Moms,children and seniors checking out books .
Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My town has several library branches and there has been much talk of possibly eliminating two branches due to budget cutbacks. I would miss our city libraries. I hardly ever check out books any more but I am a magazine junkie and that alone is worth it to me. I also would miss Barnes and Noble, another hot spot of my retirement, due to the coffee shop and just getting out of the house. I am NOT one of those that take the magazines to the coffee shop and read tho...I take my Kindle.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty sure a library in a town raises property values (back in the day when property values went up and not down) and in our tax bills the library has the smallest portion. Even if not, I think I'd pick a house in a town with a library vs. no library.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #26

If they are planning a traditional "library" as in just a lot of books, yeah, that's like building a system of roads designed for horse and buggy.

But there's no real reason a library has to be that in this day and age. And it's easy to forget sometimes, but not everyone has a computer and broadband Internet access at home.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

How long has the Internet been hammering down newspapers? How much longer will it be until the New York Times and the WSJ are out of the newsprint business?
Here's an article from March, 2009, predicting closures:

The 10 Major Newspapers That Will Either Fold or Go Digital Next - TIME

Over the past few weeks, the U.S. newspaper industry has entered a new period of decline. The parent of the papers in Philadelphia declared bankruptcy, as did the Journal Register chain. The Rocky Mountain News closed, and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, owned by Hearst, will almost certainly close or only publish online. Hearst has said it will also close the San Francisco Chronicle if it cannot make massive cuts. The most recent rumor is that the company will lay off half the editorial staff. Still, that action may not be enough to make the property profitable.

Expected to close (or go online-only):

1. The Philadelphia Daily News.

2. The Minneapolis Star Tribune
3. The Miami Herald,
4. The Detroit News

5. The Boston Globe
6. The San Francisco Chronicle.
7. The Chicago Sun-Times
8. The New York Daily News
9. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram

10. The Cleveland Plain Dealer
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I don't know how much of that has come to pass in the last two years, but I bet it'd be more accurately measured by a decade or two.

I have to admit that I like the idea of a Starbucks tucked into the corner of our local library, with their rent for the space going to support library operations & new inventory.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

The 10 Major Newspapers That Will Either Fold or Go Digital Next - TIME
There's also this from 8/29/09: Fortune's Stanley Bing: Dead Media? Not So Fast, Bub

Quote:
Likewise, has it ever occurred to you that a lot of what you read about the death of newspapers is written by people who were recently fired from their jobs at newspapers? Does this seem fair to you?
(and in the comments section there, several astutely point out that the article was written for an Internet publication, not a print publication, so his point would be ....?).
Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We had another similar thread maybe 6 months ago. I agree with Al, many nice things about a library, but none of them are exclusive to libraries. Libraries require librarians, they are not cheap, and they carry the typical government worker long tail of municipal obigations.

My local branch like many in Seattle has a nice new building, heavy staffing, lots of computers and not very many books. I go there mainly to pick up books sent from the central library, or other local branch, and occasionally to pick through DVDs for rent.

We don't need local libraries at all, they are a waste of money and often fairly unpleasant places to be. Before libraries stocked lots of taxpayer supported DVDs and computer services, local shops did this, remember internet cafés and local video stores? Speakeasy on 2nd Avenue in Seattle was a great example, computers for rent, nice ambiance, quality coffee, and the only bums there at least had enough money to rent a computer.

Keep the central library for repository functions, newspapers and magazines and book lending. Many of the actual physical books can be kept off sight in a much cheaper warehouse district. There will essentially be one book storage site for circulating books, and one pick-up site, the central library. With decent logistics (always questionable for a government run entity) there coujld even be a drive through for car people.

And of course many new books will be ebooks. All the useful e-funcitons that we can now access from home will continue, and actually might even be increased.

Money saved could be spent on a much more useful and general purpose function, like better and more rational bus service.

Obviously none of this applies to great national libraries like the Sterling at Yale, Widener at Harvard, Bonton Public Library, NYC Library or the Library of Congress

Ha
Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I think anything that gets a kid's nose in a book has value.
I agree, but the kids in our libraries are either there to research schoolwork or surf the net (mostly games and social media). There are few if any kids who are recreational readers from what I can tell.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
There are few if any kids who are recreational readers from what I can tell.
They check out the vampire & wizard books to read at home, because while they're at the library they don't want to miss out on socializing with their friends...

Our daughter (and her friends) were gargantuan recreational readers... when they were at home "spending time with family" or supposedly doing chores, cleaning their rooms, doing homework, etc.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our daughter (and her friends) were gargantuan recreational readers... when they were at home "spending time with family" or supposedly doing chores, cleaning their rooms, doing homework, etc.
My daughter is 25 and is better read than me. Son is 37 and reads tons. I expect books will continue to be a major outlet for the next generation.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why not a community center with a small library in it?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If they are planning a traditional "library" as in just a lot of books, yeah, that's like building a system of roads designed for horse and buggy.

But there's no real reason a library has to be that in this day and age.
This discussion reminds me of a recent post by Seth Godin on the future of the library (Seth's Blog: The future of the library). Rather than argue that libraries are obsolete, he envisions a change in the way we run libraries. He argues that the libraries of the future will not be so much where the books are, but where the librarians are. These "new" librarians will be well versed in helping people find information in the new web-based world. The library would still have some elements of a community center as TAl mentioned, with meeting rooms and such, but would be more of a "local nerve center for information." Overall, an interesting read, and I would be for such a system in my area.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREngineer View Post
This discussion reminds me of a recent post by Seth Godin on the future of the library (Seth's Blog: The future of the library). Rather than argue that libraries are obsolete, he envisions a change in the way we run libraries. He argues that the libraries of the future will not be so much where the books are, but where the librarians are. These "new" librarians will be well versed in helping people find information in the new web-based world. The library would still have some elements of a community center as TAl mentioned, with meeting rooms and such, but would be more of a "local nerve center for information." Overall, an interesting read, and I would be for such a system in my area.
Except that at best one of ten librarians know enough to be helpful.

A cheaper and more effective way would be an internet marketplace where you ask questions, and people would bid on answering. The responders can be rated. There are many possible payment schemes.

The sooner we get away from hiring expensive and marginally useful public workers the better off we will be. That is, unless we ourselves are expensive and marginally useful workers.

Ha
Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

East Nowhere is too small to have a library. The next nearest town has a modest sized library building that dates back to the 1930s. It has been modernized as far as free Internet access goes. I have donated a fair number of hardcover books to it over the years.
Every property owner is assessed a small library fee in the annual school tax bill. I have no problem with that if it gives kids and adults someplace to be.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

As a reminder,

A. I'm not saying libraries are obsolete now, I'm saying they may be obsolete in 5 years, and will definitely be obsolete in 10 years.

B. This is what I mean by "library":

li·brar·y/ˈlīˌbrerē/Noun

1. A building or room containing collections of books, periodicals, and sometimes films and recorded music for people to read, borrow, or refer to.
2. A collection of books and periodicals held in such a building or room. More »
Wikipedia - Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster

C. Parallels to building a library that will not open for five years:
1. Planning a photo processing plant in 2006
(Last Kodachrome Developer Stops Developing)
2. Planning a video rental store in 2007
(The last movie rental stores left standing - Mar. 6, 2009)
3. Investing in a card catalog in 1978(?)
4. Planning a typewriter factory in 1994
Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
B. This is what I mean by "library":
Al, are you really trying to (1) guide a thread by (2) getting the board's posters to agree (3) on a common definition for a concept?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Al, are you really trying to (1) guide a thread by (2) getting the board's posters to agree (3) on a common definition for a concept?
I guess I got carries away.