Join Early Retirement Today

Subaru
Old 10-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Subaru

Downsized our Subaru. Wife's car - love's Subaru and will accept no substitute. Besides I had $2,000 Subaru bucks (credit card rewards) Just back from the dealer - traded in the Outback for the new look Impreza Hatchback. Give up a foot in cargo bay length, but with seats down plenty of hauling space for our downsized family needs. Passenger area actual feels roomier than the outback. $6,000 cheaper

What do ya think?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

$6000 cheaper sounds great and it is what you want. ENJOY

Congrats on the new car I hope your family and you enjoy it.

One of the best smells in the world is the smell of a new car.

GOD BLESS
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post

One of the best smells in the world is the smell of a new car.

Didn't they determine that the smell is toxic fumes

To the OP... congrats on the new car.. it is always nice to have one. Also looks pretty good.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #4

Very nice indeed. AWD? What color?
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Very nice. I have a Forester. It's great to be able to slap the kayak on top and throw all my fishing stuff into the back. Your new ride looks too nice to do that.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Very nice indeed. AWD? What color?
Yes, AWD and the blue in the picture...matches up with my blue Honda Civic Coupe ...I love the Blues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
Very nice. I have a Forester. It's great to be able to slap the kayak on top and throw all my fishing stuff into the back. Your new ride looks too nice to do that.
...I've counseled the wife to park far away from other cars in the parking lots..besides doctors advise to park farther away to get more walking in!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Subaru backwards is You Are A Bus.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sweet. If you ever decide to keep one for a while, they take a licking and keep on ticking just like a good lesbian car should. Up to 108k on mine, including vicious pounding on the poor car (bumper to bumper traffic on the Jersey Turnpike, getting rear-ended twice, etc.) and still going strong. MIL got 250k on a mid 80s model and no doubt they have improved since then.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sweet. If you ever decide to keep one for a while, they take a licking and keep on ticking just like a good lesbian car should. Up to 108k on mine, including vicious pounding on the poor car (bumper to bumper traffic on the Jersey Turnpike, getting rear-ended twice, etc.) and still going strong. MIL got 250k on a mid 80s model and no doubt they have improved since then.
something about licking and lesbian in the same sentence is just dripping with....we've gotten rear-ended too on ice - the Roo stops on it - problem is the following car doesn't -
The dealers are hot for used ones around here....are you calling me a lesbian not that theres anything wrong with that or are calling Subaru's lesbian??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Subaru backwards is You Are A Bus.
I'll be darned. Going to tell the wife - she'll think I'm a clever bunny!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
something about licking and lesbian in the same sentence is just dripping with....we've gotten rear-ended too on ice - the Roo stops on it - problem is the following car doesn't -
The dealers are hot for used ones around here....are you calling me a lesbian not that theres anything wrong with that or are calling Subaru's lesbian??
Nah, its just that subaru has marketed to the gay and lesbian community for well over a decade and I cannot tell you how many I see tooling around with discreet rainbow stickers on them. Its established enough that in some circles they are known as "lesbarus." I'm sure DW got some odd looks when she was pregnant and driving our legacy wagon around.

These things are amazing in the snow/ice. Built like tanks, too. I will probably always own one from now on. Everything I want in a car: not too expensive, very reliable and durable, reasonably thrifty on fuel, among the safest on the road, and capable in all conditions. And I don't care if people thinkI am batting for the other team.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have an 06 Impreza wagon. I like it a lot, and find the cargo space handy. It also handles pretty well, though not up to the WRX and STI incarnations.

My only quibble is the interior, which is pretty bad compared to my old Acura Integra GSR with nice black leather, etc. I wish Subaru offered an interior upgrade.

Ha
Old 10-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have an 06 Impreza wagon. I like it a lot, and find the cargo space handy. It also handles pretty well, though not up to the WRX and STI incarnations.

My only quibble is the interior, which is pretty bad compared to my old Acura Integra GSR with nice black leather, etc. I wish Subaru offered an interior upgrade.

Ha
2008 was a redesign - have a hatchback - think replaced the wagon? - don't know what the earlier ones are like but review I read said interior got an upgrade, but no leather.
Love ours!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #13

Love ours!

Put some snow tires on 'em, and you can turn 'em into snowplows. I've driven ours in deep stuff, until snow is coming over the hood.

Only got stuck once, when high-centered on some slush.

Bad to go through so much that the radiator gets packed with snow, though.

Got this one with 27k on it. 109k mi. and counting.

-CC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soob.jpg (63.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sooob.jpg (104.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #14

Congratulations! What are you going to name it?
I have a Subaru Forester and I absolutely love it! It is a burgandy red and I named it Chilli Pepper.
I didn't know they were known as the gay community car....but I love my Subaru so much that it doesn't matter!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #15

Tomorrow's (Sunday) New York Times has a review of your new car...
...The new WRX is roomier and quieter inside than the car it replaces. A new double wishbone rear suspension, more compact than the struts it replaces, results in more usable trunk space, and in the hatchback, provides a lower, more spacious cargo floor. The sturdier chassis, and a switch to doors with frames surrounding the window glass, make the car quieter; slamming the trunk or doors no longer sends shock waves through the body.
The WRX also adds features you expect in a class of high-performance compacts: side and curtain air bags, stability control, automatic climate control. For models with the manual transmission, a hill-holder automatically keeps the car in place on slopes.Where the previous WRX interior was a tub of utilitarian plastic, this one is more hospitable. Firm, heated sport seats are covered in a handsome woven fabric.
Subaru has also sanded away the rougher edges of performance. It’s another decision that may not sit well with everyone; the previous WRX was a bit of a hooligan, but its rude-boy style was what people loved about it.
The car is just as quick as before, with Subaru citing 5.9 seconds from 0 to 60 m.p.h., within sight of Porsche Boxster and Nissan 350Z, cars that cost more. A wheelbase lengthened by 3.7 inches helps the WRX ride more smoothly....
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Ha, I have so much more respect for you now that I know you're a lesbian you drive a Subaru...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Congratulations! What are you going to name it?
I have a Subaru Forester and I absolutely love it! It is a burgandy red and I named it Chilli Pepper.
I didn't know they were known as the gay community car....but I love my Subaru so much that it doesn't matter!
..still deciding..how about Bleu, Old Blue or Blue Roo...like your car's name...didn't know that either...explains the winks I've been getting...
Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #18

I did a painting earlier this year called Blue Rhapsody....you can use that if you like.
Just be careful and don't put anything rainbow-ish on the car!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I did a painting earlier this year called Blue Rhapsody....you can use that if you like.
Just be careful and don't put anything rainbow-ish on the car!
nice name! I'm picturing the painting right now...I'm leaving it up to DW for the "official" name....but I'm going to be working up my name this week....I'll never be able to look at a rainbow the same way again....
Old 10-21-2007, 11:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nah, its just that subaru has marketed to the gay and lesbian community for well over a decade and I cannot tell you how many I see tooling around with discreet rainbow stickers on them. Its established enough that in some circles they are known as "lesbarus." I'm sure DW got some odd looks when she was pregnant and driving our legacy wagon around.
I wonder why they are so popular up here in Bellingham (or is that 'down here'?). I thought they were just great cars.