Join Early Retirement Today

Subconscious Self-destructive Urges?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Subconscious Self-destructive Urges?

An odd thought struck me today, perhaps prompted by the debt ceiling impasse and the massacre in Norway. I wonder if there is some kind of self-destructive urge behind these and similar events. Intransigent politicians, of whatever party, who would rather precipitate a default than try to find a workable compromise, must know that a default will only make our country's financial problems worse. People who commit mass murder in the name of some cause or other must, unless they have completely lost contact with reality, realize that they are creating enemies for their cause. Such events seem to be becoming more frequent, or maybe we just hear about them more in this age of instantaneous communication.

What brings people to take such counterproductive actions? In my bleaker moments, I could even suspect that humankind as a species is in the grip of a self-destructive urge.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think you may be giving too much credit to the politicians. In the case of my representative at least, it is a genuinely a combination of ignorance and stupidity, not willful destruction.
Don't worry, things will look better in the cold gray light of dawn.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ignorance and stupidity are a good substitute for self-destructive urges.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been thing increasingly of the standoffish refusal to compromise I feel like we're seeing more and more of.

Case in point: debt ceiling, NFL lockout, NBA lockout, etc. Etc.

Opposing sides seem to be more stubborn than ever and re unwilling to compromise than ever.

But maybe it's just the way I'm seeing things.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Id, Ego, Superego...each of them can be self-destructive
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Intransigent politicians, of whatever party, who would rather precipitate a default than try to find a workable compromise, must know that a default will only make our country's financial problems worse.
I think we could redefine the self destructive nature of that comment. We could say something like "Who would pass a spending bill early this year, knowing full well that it would exceed the debt ceiling, and not address that debt ceiling issue as part of passing the spending bill? That strikes me as 'self-destructive' ". It's like if I put far too much on my credit card, and then complained that the CC company wouldn't raise my credit limit after the fact, and then I claimed that they were destroying my credit rating. Who's really to blame?

Maybe the ones refusing to raise the debt ceiling are the ones who are promoting real, positive long-term constructive change?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Maybe the ones refusing to raise the debt ceiling are the ones who are promoting real, positive long-term constructive change?
+1

Do you 'compromise' with someone who wants to torch your house by allowing him to burn your car instead?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
+1

It's tough to make a sacrifice (to correct the problem) rather than to just go on, as it has always been.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote