Join Early Retirement Today

subscribing to threads?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

subscribing to threads?

hi,

how does this function work?

i'm getting subscribed to threads I have posted in - but not conisistantly - so am i hitting a button somewhere or missing something?

and the subsequent annoying bunch 'o emails in my inbox...

can someone splain please!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:04 AM   #2

I must have subscribed to one too. Just turn it off using "unsubscribe" under Forum Tools in the menu bar.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
hi,

how does this function work?

i'm getting subscribed to threads I have posted in - but not conisistantly - so am i hitting a button somewhere or missing something?

and the subsequent annoying bunch 'o emails in my inbox...

can someone splain please!
I can help with the email problem: Click on "User CP" at the upper left of this page, then click on "Edit Options" under the Control Panel to your left. Scroll down to Messaging & Notifications, and under Default Thread Subscription Mode, select "No email notification" from the drop-down box.

As to how the subscribed threads function works, I'm still working on that one....
Old 05-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #4

It's called "THREAD TOOLS"...sorry...it's in the one of the menu bars above.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I can help with the email problem: Click on "User CP" at the upper left of this page, then click on "Edit Options" under the Control Panel to your left. Scroll down to Messaging & Notifications, and under Default Thread Subscription Mode, select "No email notification" from the drop-down box.

As to how the subscribed threads function works, I'm still working on that one....
I did this but still get emails on thread replys. Any other suggestions? Also, when I log on as Dawg52 using my old password(only one that I know of) I get a message that tells me invalid user name or password but it still logs me on anyway. Is this just the way it works or what do I need to do to not have this message box pop up every time I log on?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I did this but still get emails on thread replys. Any other suggestions? Also, when I log on as Dawg52 using my old password(only one that I know of) I get a message that tells me invalid user name or password but it still logs me on anyway. Is this just the way it works or what do I need to do to not have this message box pop up every time I log on?
I'm new to all this too, and I've already exhausted my very limited knowledge on the subject. I'll see if we can find some help.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
ditto - i already had the no-email thing in the user cp and i still got auto subscribed to threads -

i don't want to manually un-subscribe all the time...
Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I figured it out. Once you're subscribed to a thread, the properties in effect at the time you subscribed 'stick' until you change them for each thread. I managed to get to a screen that let me select all of my subscribed threads, then used a drop down box to change them all to 'no email notification'. With a default setting under User CP of 'no email notification', all future threads should also get no email generated.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote