Join Early Retirement Today

Suburban wildlife
Old 06-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Suburban wildlife

Life is good.

This morning I was typing in the familyroom at 6:45 AM with the lanai windows open. Just another quiet Sunday with a cup of coffee while the rest of the family slept in.

Then, 20 feet away on the lanai, a flock of quail walked past-- two adults and seven chicks. They didn't notice me as they cruised through the tomato plants and jumped up on the stone wall. "Aviary Academy" was in session as the chicks started practicing their flying as the adults watched.

I raced for the camera but the batteries were dead. They heard me and scattered down the hill, except for one dimwitted adult who crouched on the top of the wall behind a slender bougainvillea sprig ("I'm absolutely still & silent! You can't see me!!") As I came closer he gave up (would a female try that in the first place?), screeched, & exploded out of "hiding" to follow the rest of the group. They bustled down the hill into the gulch.

Some critter has been getting as many tomatoes as I have and I wonder if they're the culprits. It was certainly worth the price of a few tomatoes to watch this family having a quiet Sunday morning stroll...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Suburban wildlife
Old 06-26-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, cool.

The only critter that came past my window today was somebody's loud RC car. Anyone know how to build a jammer for these?
Whakamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Life is good.

This morning I was typing in the familyroom at 6:45 AM with the lanai windows open.* Just another quiet Sunday with a cup of coffee while the rest of the family slept in.

Then, 20 feet away on the lanai, a flock of quail walked past-- two adults and seven chicks.* They didn't notice me as they cruised through the tomato plants and jumped up on the stone wall.* "Aviary Academy" was in session as the chicks started practicing their flying as the adults watched.

I raced for the camera but the batteries were dead.* They heard me and scattered down the hill, except for one dimwitted adult who crouched on the top of the wall behind a slender bougainvillea sprig ("I'm absolutely still & silent!* You can't see me!!")* As I came closer he gave up (would a female try that in the first place?), screeched, & exploded out of "hiding" to follow the rest of the group.* They bustled down the hill into the gulch.

Some critter has been getting as many tomatoes as I have and I wonder if they're the culprits.* It was certainly worth the price of a few tomatoes to watch this family having a quiet Sunday morning stroll...
Nords: They aren't the culprit. They feed on grain, and any seeds they can find.
If you want a visit from them every morning throw some chicken-feed out in the PM.

Get up in the AM with your shotgun, and be prepared for the best tasting game bird you ever ate.

My wife just said "don't you dare". We're practically overun with Quail, and my wife thinks they're her personal pets.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #4

My mother-in-law, who lived on a farm, had a pet covey of quail that
lived near the barn and marched in front of her kitchen window
regularly. She swore instant death to anybody who messed with
them.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:45 AM   #5

Yesterday we saw a bear out our window again.* I don't know if it was the same one as last year.* Last year's bear was black, and this one was brown (they were both "black bears"), I don't know if their fur changes color.

Last year the bear cleaned out our neighbor's freezer in her garage.* Frozen dinners all of the place.* At that point he was really hooked on "home-cooked food," and I ran into him five times in one day.* Once he came into our garage.

At this point he still runs away when we yell at him.* Who knows how long that will last.

At least he hasn't killed anyone in his/her tent.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #6

Once we found a live quail chick in our garage. Didn't even have feathers yet. I regret not trying to raise it. We put it out for the flock, but I doubt that it made it.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Once we found a live quail chick in our garage.* Didn't even have feathers yet.* I regret not trying to raise it.* We put it out for the flock, but I doubt that it made it.
Maybe that explains why the bear's hanging around your garage.

You'd think this would get the local animal-control people fairly excited about an ursine relocation project.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here in suburban Austin, we've had wild Turkeys (the feathered kind), skunks and rabbits in our back yard and coyotes in the area. On the nearby roads the 'wild-death' (roadkill) is pretty impressive as well - armadillos, skunks, racoons, deer and once, a bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Maybe that explains why the bear's hanging around your garage.

You'd think this would get the local animal-control people fairly excited about an ursine relocation project.
jefipius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #9

Here in Texas, I've seen a lot of 2-legged animals who should be in a cage.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
My elderly neighbor (the one with the freezer in the garage), would really like that. She says he hungrily looks in the window at her.

But I really get a kick out of seeing him.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Sitting in my sun room here in N. MI I have seen lots of deer, squirrels, coons, fox, both gray and red, possum, coyote, bobcat, turkeys, and turkey vultures, hawks, bald eagles. Come to think of it , it will be something if our Yorkie makes it to old age!! He does think of himself as a badass chasing chipmonks though.
Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #12

Totally different type of wildlife in the Los Angeles surburb I am in, nice neighbor lady, had some of her clothes on sort of. Just friendly folks and low hedge fences.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Totally different type of wildlife in the Los Angeles surburb I am in, nice neighbor lady, had some* of her clothes on sort of. Just friendly folks and low hedge fences.
Hey yakers! - We want pictures! 8)
Old 06-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Hey yakers! - We want pictures! 8)
CT, you posted doe photos and you want yakers to post ho photos?!

REW

(modified to insure the correct spelling of "ho". )
Old 06-28-2005, 06:51 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

* *Lately, we've been getting visits from the groundhog that lives in the field behind us ... maybe he likes mulberries.* It's driving my younger cat nuts, not that the groundhog cares about the cat.* Otherwise, we have plenty of rabbits ... drives DH nuts when one of them digs a nest in the yard ...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:25 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We are in the blackhills right now, riding around on our dirt bikes on the back roads. Beautiful area. It isn't all carved mountains and jellystone parks.

Today we came upon a big bull, not fenced. He started after us and we got out of there fast.

So far, he is the only "wild" life we have seen of any signficance.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We don't quite live in the suburbs, but last week my dad saw a black bear with 3 fifteen pound cubs in our driveway.

I really want to see them, but am hoping they stay away because I prefer my 2 dogs alive.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
We don't quite live in the suburbs, but last week my dad saw a black bear with 3 fifteen pound cubs in our driveway.

I really want to see them, but am hoping they stay away because I prefer my 2 dogs alive.
Very doubtful they would harm your dogs. Black bears are pretty docile
generally.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:14 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

The big talk in my suburban Memphis empty-nester neighborhood is the male turkey that has taken up residence in a nearby tree. We have the usual suburban animals too on occasion -- skunks, coyotes, raccoons, Canada geese, squirrels, ducks, and deer. As urbanization continues in this direction, though, I fear most of them will disappear.
playaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:54 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My old mcmansion used to have a small herd (~15) of deer and regular wild turkeys, along with the usual possum, owl and racoon population. Kept wondering with all those deer if we'd ever see a mountain lion show up, as we were in the vicinity for that.

Only 'report' of mountain lions was a guy up the street who had too many people cutting through his property to get to the lake. He posted signs on a few key trees that a mountain lion had been spotted in the area recently and to 'take appropriate cautions'...which I think means "dont cut through my property!"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote