Subway class action thrown out

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had posted an article where the lawyers on a class action received 4X (IIRC) what the plaintiffs were to receive... now I see this...

Seems someone decided to sue Subway for getting an 11 inch sandwich instead of a foot long... but it also seems like the lawyers are going to get paid... not sure reading the article....

I like this from a judge....

"A class action that seeks only worthless benefits for the class and yields only fees for class counsel is no better than a racket and should be dismissed out of hand," Circuit Judge Diane Sykes wrote for a three-judge panel. "That's an apt description of this case."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/worthless-subway-footlong-sandwich-settlement-194947165.html

Would that same judge happily pay full price for a dozen eggs if only 11 were in the carton? :)

I don't think he would care.

Would that same judge happily pay full price for a dozen eggs if only 11 were in the carton? :)

But not the same.... as they say, bread bakes different.... you are getting the same amount of bread and same amount of meat if it is 11 inches or 12... you are getting one less egg if you get 11 and pay for 12...

+1. Totally different from 11 eggs in a carton of a dozen. I'm not sure about the same amount of bread... but certainly the same amount of meat since there are a standard number of slices of meat per sub. Next thing you know some plaintiffs bar will be measuring the thickness of each slice of meat with a micrometer and making a claim if they vary.

Common sense does still exist in the legal profession! It's just a rare bird.....

It's probably 12" of bread before it's baked. It doesn't matter what it is when it's served. Just like any burger place that advertises a quarter-pounder or something similar. That is the before-cooked weight, not the served weight.

I figure subway sandwich lengths are like 2x4 sizes now days just an approximation.

Ah yes - Subway's version of the nominal sub. Here is the forest service on why lumber dimensions are the way they are:
History of Yard Lumber Size Standards (September 1964)
Having worked with houses built around 1900 and tried to continue walls that used full dimensional lumber with the metropolitan "studs" available now I gotta wonder what a circa 1900 foot long sub looked like..

More importantly, would they be a judge if they could not count eggs? But then again, I check my eggs to make sure they are not broken. I'm buying the expensive, free range kind. Now I'm wondering if they are really free range. Maybe we need a class action. :)

FN

+1. Totally different from 11 eggs in a carton of a dozen. I'm not sure about the same amount of bread... but certainly the same amount of meat since there are a standard number of slices of meat per sub. Next thing you know some plaintiffs bar will be measuring the thickness of each slice of meat with a micrometer and making a claim if they vary.

Not sure how they determine how much dough to put for each bun, but I would guess that the difference in the weight of the bread is within the margin of error that is acceptable to the industry....

IOW, no 2 hamburger buns are 'the same', but are close enough that we do not care... to me, same with Subway bread...

BTW, I throw away the ends as they are usually 'crusty' and I like soft bread....

I like this from a judge....

"A class action that seeks only worthless benefits for the class and yields only fees for class counsel is no better than a racket and should be dismissed out of hand," Circuit Judge Diane Sykes wrote for a three-judge panel. "That's an apt description of this case."

If it's a racket, then the racketeers should be prosecuted under the RICO laws. That's something even I would watch.

Ironically, lumber dimensions are the crux of a lawsuit filed this summer against Menards and Home Depot: Whacked with a 4x4: Menards, Home Depot face lawsuits over descriptions of lumber size

However, Turin and his clients dispute that the differences between nominal descriptions and actual dimensions are common knowledge.

Where in the world do they find such idiots?

I yearn for the day that some judge says something along the lines of.... "Counseler, your claim is bloody ridiculous. I grant the defendant's motion for dismissal and order the plaintiffs and their attorney's to reimburse the defendant for all legal and administrative costs in obtaining the dismissal and further order the plaintiff's attorneys to each put in 40 hours framing Habitat for Humanity housing so they learn the follies of their ways.".... or something like that.

Last edited:
I figure subway sandwich lengths are like 2x4 sizes now days just an approximation.
Here's another one:

When I was a kid, a "baker's dozen" was not just a meaningless phrase. If you bought a dozen donuts at the baker, there would be 13 in the box.

I can't buy such things any more due to my overweight problem, but I suspect that the baker's dozen is just an historical oddity by now.

Ironically, lumber dimensions are the crux of a lawsuit filed this summer against Menards and Home Depot: Whacked with a 4x4: Menards, Home Depot face lawsuits over descriptions of lumber size

Where in the world do they find such idiots...

The lawyers filing the suit are no idiots. They stand to make money from this.

I am surprised that Home Depot is just now sued. Lowe's faced an identical suit back in 2014 about its 2"x4" being actually 1.5"x3.5". When I read this, I thought why Lowe's was singled out. Now we know it was not.

See: Lowe’s ordered to pay 2x4 settlement | HBS Dealer.

I am not old enough to know when a 2x4 was not 1.5x3.5. The latter has been standard in the lumber industry at least since the late 1940's according to a Web site.

A 1963 document by the Forest Service talked about the various agreements inside the lumber industry dating back to 1902 on this matter.

See: https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/miscpub_6409.pdf.

Last edited:
But not the same.... as they say, bread bakes different.... you are getting the same amount of bread and same amount of meat if it is 11 inches or 12... you are getting one less egg if you get 11 and pay for 12...

Yes, but some of us cheapskates split the sandwich 3 ways. 12 dived by 3 is easy, each person gets 4 inches of the sandwich. But, 11 divided by three is ...... 3.6666666666666666666666 onto infinity. Very hard to measure.

Yes, but some of us cheapskates split the sandwich 3 ways. 12 dived by 3 is easy, each person gets 4 inches of the sandwich. But, 11 divided by three is ...... 3.6666666666666666666666 onto infinity. Very hard to measure.

You forgot to account for the fact that the ends are of lesser volume than the middle section, plus the fillings are more piled onto the center.

I will take that mid section, thank you.

Even worse if the fillings are not spread evenly across the bread. Someone gets too little cheese and meat. So why not cut the sandwich lengthwise?

Even worse if the fillings are not spread evenly across the bread. Someone gets too little cheese and meat. So why not cut the sandwich lengthwise?
I'd still take the middle piece.

So why not cut the sandwich lengthwise?

Somebody would still sue over the width of the sandwich.

Actually, the best way to cut one of their sandwiches is 'out' as in cut out eating them. IMHO, they are not that great.

There is a local deli near where I grew up that makes sandwiches that put most chain stores to shame - crispy crusty rolls, sharp provolone, spicy pepperoncini, assorted salami, mortadela, capocollo, sliced tomato and cucumber, and their home made Italian dressing.

Cavaretta's Italian Deli - Home

I'd still take the middle piece.

Wise choice, although it will be difficult to cut a sub lengthwise into 3.

And then, it is even harder to hold it to eat.

Back
Top Bottom