Join Early Retirement Today

Suggest a Biography
Old 12-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Suggest a Biography

I'm ready to start another book and looking for a good biography. My interest is in successful people in the business or historical arenas - prefer dead people (too much spin and bias on the living). No entertainers or sports figures. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Suggest a Biography
Old 12-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Just started listerning to books on tape while walking...Get from the library either non-fiction or biography...It is difficult to walk and pay stricked attention to fiction...

Anyway I just finished Andy Rooney's war years as a journalist with The Stars and Stripes...Read by him and very interesting...
pilgrim555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Winston Churchill ... very much enjoyed one of his biographies. A great life of precocious youth, rejection, fulfillment of great leadership potential, and then ... rejection again. Fascinating.

Some great quotes as well.

For instance, allegedly:
Female member of Parliament: "Winston, you are drunk!"
Churchill: "Madam, you, are ugly. And, in the morning, I shall be sober!".
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I really enjoyed J.P. Getty's bio. Son got it for me for Christmas about 2 years after I took him & his sister to the museum when it was on Pacific Coast Hwy.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

The Hermit of Peking. The story of a British baronet who moved to China about 100 years ago, went native, and scammed the British govt pretending to be a spy. And lots more.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #6

I suppose you've covered Abraham Lincoln already?

If not, don't start now! I read Gore Vidal's historical novel ten years ago. About a hundred-and-fifty Lincoln / Civil War books later, I'm still at it...
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc
I'm ready to start another book and looking for a good biography. My interest is in successful people in the business or historical arenas - prefer dead people (too much spin and bias on the living).
How about Ron Chernow's biographies of Alexander Hamilton, John Rockefeller, or J.P. Morgan?

Roger Lowenstein's biography of Buffett is pretty low-spin, as is Kirkpatrick's "Of Permanent Value", although the latter is 10 years out of date.

I've just finished Colin Powell's "Soldier". Mega-spin in many directions but a fascinating insight into his character and those around him. Book report to follow, but let's just say that it's made me pray very fervently for the continued good health of George W. Bush throughout the next two-plus years...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
How about Ron Chernow's biographies of Alexander Hamilton, John Rockefeller, or J.P. Morgan?

Roger
Funny you mentioned these - I've read them all - Rockefeller and JP Morgan just this past year. Chernow is pretty good. Add to that Carnegie and I've covered many of the Robber Barons - a facinating time period.

Was considering reading on Henry Ford or Andrew Mellon (just came out) - unless a better idea came up on this thread.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc
I'm ready to start another book and looking for a good biography. My interest is in successful people in the business or historical arenas - prefer dead people (too much spin and bias on the living). No entertainers or sports figures. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks
I enjoyed " John Adams" by David McCullough very much. It was one the best book I have ever read.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here are a few autobiographies you might enjoy:
- Marriott
- Conrad Hilton
- Sam Walton
- Ray Krok
FI@35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

I suggest a biography of Benjamin Franklin. He is one interesting guy. The one I like was by E.W. Brands.

Ray
boathole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathole
I suggest a biography of Benjamin Franklin. He is one interesting guy. The one I like was by E.W. Brands.
Ben is one of my few heros! I'm going to put that book on my reading list. But I believe the author is H.W. Brands.

I'm reading Tom Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation" right now which is a bunch of little biographies of very interesting people.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The autobiography of Ben Franklin is really interesting too . . .
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
Administrator

Here are some that I have enjoyed:

Captain James Cook by Richard Hough

Lincoln by David Herbert Donald

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton by Edward Rice
Old 12-12-2006, 12:48 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Truman by David McCullough

Written in the early 90s, not a fresh suggestion, but a good book none the less.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the suggestions - am very surprised that I've already read many of them - great minds must think alike. Going to go ahead and read the Henry Ford story, "The Peoples Tycoon". I'll let you know how it turns out - rumor has it he started some big company or something.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why I didn't think of these earlier-- more memoirs than biography (in the strict academic sense of the word) but much more entertaining and at least as educational:

"The Harder They Fall"
"Walk This Way"
"Rock & Roll Gearhead"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote